Old 10-12-2007, 09:07 AM   #1
Mayday
Ribbing the Cuff

Has anyone ever..
Has anyone ever sucessfully made the switch from English to Continental? I'm trying. After 10 years of knitting english, I want to learn continental, because it is faster in the end. But now it is sooooo ackquard! Has anyone done it and felt comfortable and it made their knitting fasater? I am just hoping if I keep up with it it will get better!

mayday

OTN: Monica tank for daughter
Mayday is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-12-2007, 09:18 AM   #2
HamaLee
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to HamaLee
Yep, I did. And I had the same problem switching but now knitting English feels very awkward for me. But then I'm left-handed so Continental just feels more natural for me.

I also mostly knit combined, b/c a traditional Continental purl is very clumsy for me. So I tend to purl combined, and knit tbl when doing stockinette. I knit combined with just about everything except involved lace and adjust increases/decreases as necessary when I approach them.

Good luck, just keep practicing! You'll find a way that works for you. If it helps, when I started making the switch I found the Norwegian purl to work much more smoothly for me than a traditional one.

--->Clever Sayings Go Here<---

HamaLee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HamaLee For This Useful Post:
Mayday (10-12-2007)
Old 10-12-2007, 09:20 AM   #3
mrslevite
1st Leg of the Journey

Yes! I have! I used the Knitting Help videos. (Great website!) I caught on to the continental knit stitch pretty quickly. I thought I would never get the purl and even gave up on it for a while. Then I went back, looked at the video again and I could do it! Now I'm working on a pair of socks with a ribbed cuff and I can go back and forth with the knits and purls in continental style with no problems. I'm loving it!
The Following User Says Thank You to mrslevite For This Useful Post:
Mayday (10-12-2007)
Old 10-12-2007, 09:22 AM   #4
Sheridan
Ribbing the Cuff

I lasted about two rows. The purl was my downfall. I still think its a great method and now that I am crocheting more I might find it easier.

If I ever have a daughter I think I will teach her continental from the start.
Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sheridan For This Useful Post:
Mayday (10-12-2007)
Old 10-12-2007, 09:32 AM   #5
wandersfar
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via Yahoo to wandersfar
Yup. I switched a couple months ago, and I have been noticing that my speed is increasing, especially when I don't have to purl.
wandersfar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wandersfar For This Useful Post:
Mayday (10-12-2007)
Old 10-12-2007, 09:42 AM   #6
Mayday
Ribbing the Cuff

Wow you guys are fast to reply! I posted my question, got my daughter on the bus and came back and here you were! Thanks for the encouragement. Funny for me, I find the contintntal purl much easier then the knit. I will keep practicing and hopefully get at least as fast as I was with the english if not more! I also will make sure my kids learn continental knitting from the start. I have never heard of anyone switching from continental to english have you?

mayday

Old 10-12-2007, 10:32 AM   #7
zkimom
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by Mayday View Post
Wow you guys are fast to reply! I posted my question, got my daughter on the bus and came back and here you were! Thanks for the encouragement. Funny for me, I find the contintntal purl much easier then the knit. I will keep practicing and hopefully get at least as fast as I was with the english if not more! I also will make sure my kids learn continental knitting from the start. I have never heard of anyone switching from continental to english have you?

mayday
I didn't switch but I made myself learn how to knit English so I can eventually teach knitting -- I want to get certified as an instructor by the Craft Yarn Council.

My kids both learned English at school and I thought I'd give it a go so I sat in front of the computer and watched Amy's videos and made my dd sit with me and we knitted away til I got the hang of it -- didn't take me long.

I like knitting English especially if I am gartering. For some reason my garter comes out more even than when I knit Continental (go figure.) However, doing a rib in English is very awkward to me, having to pass the yarn back and front all the time. The first time I tried I ended up with yarnovers until I figured out what the heck I was doing wrong. I'll stick to Continental for that.

I am MUCH faster knitting stockinette in Continental but I do find knitting English relaxing. My gauge is tighter knitting English and that can be an advantage at times.

I like being able to knit English, Continental and Combined. I get to choose how I want to approach a pattern and the flexibility is nice.

I also realize that it does not matter which way one chooses to knit -- the important thing is that there is enjoyment in the process.

Best,
Susan

Check out my photoblog: Photobella

Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it.
--Elwood P. Dodd
zkimom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zkimom For This Useful Post:
Mayday (10-12-2007)
Old 10-12-2007, 10:38 AM   #8
Mayday
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by zkimom View Post
I also realize that it does not matter which way one chooses to knit -- the important thing is that there is enjoyment in the process.
Amen to that. Your post was very interesting to me. It's nice to hear all sides of the knitting story.

I was workng a alinen stitch in the english method when I realized that if I learned continental, this may go alot faster, as linen stitch is so slow anyway.

I'm excited to see which way I end up! At least I can say I know how to do both.

mayday

Old 10-12-2007, 10:44 AM   #9
wandersfar
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via Yahoo to wandersfar
As for learning English if you knit Continental, it's good for two-handed Fair Isle-ing (can hold one yarn in either hand).

That's why I learned Continental in the first place -- didn't want to deal with two yarns in my right hand.
wandersfar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wandersfar For This Useful Post:
Mayday (10-12-2007)
Old 10-12-2007, 10:52 AM   #10
Ellieblue
Knitting the Flap

I have knitted Continental forever but I thought I would try Amy's method for purling but I just couldn't get myself to pull down the thread with the middle finger. When I purl I just flip down the finger holding the yarn and pi9ck up the thread from there. I usually do a double wrap over that finger too. But you find your own way to purl and you'll do fine.Ellie
Ellieblue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ellieblue For This Useful Post:
Mayday (10-12-2007)