Old 10-12-2007, 10:58 AM   #11
Ginnyb
Knitting the Flap

Yes I did and I am so glad that I did. I find it so much easier, especially to go from knit to purl in ribbing! It took a little practice, but once your hands get used to it it's easy!

Ginny
Ginnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ginnyb For This Useful Post:
Mayday (10-12-2007)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-12-2007, 11:11 AM   #12
mrslevite
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by Ellieblue View Post
I have knitted Continental forever but I thought I would try Amy's method for purling but I just couldn't get myself to pull down the thread with the middle finger. When I purl I just flip down the finger holding the yarn and pi9ck up the thread from there. I usually do a double wrap over that finger too. But you find your own way to purl and you'll do fine.Ellie
That's what I do, too. On the video, the continental purl looked terribly awkward. I hold the thread at the end of my index finger and it's easy to push the thread down and then purl the stitch.
The Following User Says Thank You to mrslevite For This Useful Post:
Mayday (10-12-2007)
Old 10-12-2007, 12:00 PM   #13
MrsDavis3
Knitting the Flap

Even Elizabeth Zimmerman, who knitted a la continent, said that purling was more difficult than knitting. Wiith English, I find both easy. I can knit continental if I need to, as with two color work, but the purling is IMPOSSIBLE!

Meg Swansen fascinates me because she can work the fingers of her left hand as if each one of them has its own brain! It's amAHzing to me!

"One can never have enough socks."
A. Dumbledore, Book One, Chapter 12
MrsDavis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 12:58 PM   #14
Mayday
Ribbing the Cuff

I will have to try the purling method of just putting down the finger holding the yarn. It does feel weird to let go of the needle with my middle finger as my ring finger and pinky are so weak.

I also will try to wrap the yarn twice around my finger. I have a hard time holing the yarn the tension I like. Maybe that will help.

I haven't tried fair isle knitting yet. I'm glad to know knowing both methods of knitting will help if I ever make the leap!

I love all the tips here! Thanks for everyones help and encouragement! What an awesome forum this is!

OTN: Monica tank for daughter
Mayday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 01:35 PM   #15
Songbirdy
Knitting the Flap

I switched from English to Continental this past winter (I believe in January).

I was already fast... but now I find that I am producing a lot of FO's.

And I have to say, totally off topic, someone gifted me with an Option needle to try... now that is super slick! Wow!

Knitting cables are fun on the Options!
Songbirdy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Songbirdy For This Useful Post:
Mayday (10-12-2007)
Old 10-12-2007, 01:41 PM   #16
Mayday
Ribbing the Cuff

Songbirdy,
How long do you think it took you to get a good pace going with continental after switching? I'm a fairly fast english knitter, but you can only get so far with having to throw the yarn over. I'm really hoping to get a good stride going soon witht continental.

Oh, and WTG with the new needles! Have fun with your cables!

mayday

OTN: Monica tank for daughter
Mayday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 02:08 PM   #17
rissa
Knitting the Flap

My dad taught me continental when I was a wee little one. It was difficult for my little fingers on my left hand to hold the yarn, the needle...and push those stitches to be knit up so close to the end I was afraid they'd fall off. I remember I was knitting a sweater in 2nd grade and I took it to school for show and tell...people were looking at it so much that there were several dropped stitches. Dad tried to fix it, but I just gave up...for over 20 years!

So, when I retaught myself to knit, I taught myself english style. And it worked for a while, but I started to get pain in my right shoulder from throwing the yarn. I complained to my dad and he retaught me to knit continental. And now I can knit so well continental I'll not go back to english, unless I do a fair isle project.

For a while I did my purls incorrectly, twisting the stitches and it created such a tight fabric, thus making it quite difficult to knit. Amy's videos helped me catch what my problem was there. I admit, her style of purling took a little while, but I was determined to figure it out, now my purls are just as quick as my knits.

Nya on Ravelry

OTN: Cobblestone Sweater for dh
Hemlock Ring Throw for ME!
rissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 02:29 PM   #18
wingem
Ribbing the Cuff

I learned English from my mother, I have tried continental because I was told It was faster, but I didn't find it faster, I thought it was quite akward and hard to switch from knit to purl. I will stick with english. I have viewed the videos and I don't drop the needle when I wrap the yarn. the needle rests on my thumb and I throw the yarn with my index finger, it is very easy to go from knit to purl. I have watched others knit and the only one that knits like me is my sister, go figure, my mother taught her also! My projects have always been even and smooth.
wingem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 03:09 PM   #19
Songbirdy
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by Mayday View Post
Songbirdy,
How long do you think it took you to get a good pace going with continental after switching? I'm a fairly fast english knitter, but you can only get so far with having to throw the yarn over. I'm really hoping to get a good stride going soon witht continental.

Oh, and WTG with the new needles! Have fun with your cables!

mayday
I think it probably took me a month.

One thing I found is that I really do have to hold my yarn a lot looser than I am used to as I tend to have to knit a needle size larger when knitting English style to hit gauge.

With my Continental I am pretty much bang on gauge with the recommended needle size.

But the whole 'feeding' of the yarn bit drove me bonkers.

So I simply cast on a number of "stuffie" blankets and knit off as much as I could a night. Stuffie Blankets are what my children use for their stuffed animals. Each stuffed toy requires a blanket... Naturally they must be knitted by Momma. I tried to pass off some machine serged fabric squares but they don't get used.

Anyhow. They are great for learning a new technique, cast on about 30 - 45 sts and just do whatever! Cast off when the blankie goes around the stuffie for whom it is designated!

I started by doing 1 blankie a night and ended after about 10. But I had finished two in that night so I figured I 'got' it.

Otherwise, I know what really taught me English knitting was making a large simple poncho knit in the round for my mother. The simple repetition is great and you don't have to put it down so once you are happy with your gauge you can knit until your bladder is a critical error stage... This would be a great option to knitting blankies if your not in a position to have a use for these wonderful knitted items!

Best of Luck!
Songbirdy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Songbirdy For This Useful Post:
MrsDavis3 (10-13-2007)
Old 10-12-2007, 03:12 PM   #20
Braden
Instepping Out

I made the switch a few months after I started knitting, and I have to say it was the best decision I ever made.

CONGRATULATIONS TO AMY AND SHELDON ON THE BIRTH OF THEIR DAUGHTER!

BradenCS on Ravelry
Braden is offline   Reply With Quote