Old 10-17-2007, 10:09 PM   #21
dmknits
Turning the Heel

Hopefully, you don't have to sit at a work desk near the lunchroom smelling the microwave bags of butter flavored popcorn people cooked throughout the day, every day, like I did with my first pregnancy. That was the worst! It's been almost 18 years since then, but I still can't stand that smell to this day.

Hope you feel better soon!

dmknits is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-18-2007, 02:01 AM   #22
gamerchik
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by LoAnnie View Post
I'm right there with you. I find eating all day helps. I understand the refusing to throw-up thing too. I feel the same way. I never feel better afterward as some people say they do. Every 30 minutes or so, I eat a couple of crackers, and it seems to help. The biggest pain is that I thought it was getting better until Monday when it got the worst it has been. Just try to keep a steady flow of things into your mouth, and make sure you drink plenty of water. If you find something that's a cure-all, let me know. I'm thinking of trying the acupressure bands as well.

LoAnnie
Ugh, you poor thing. Today was pretty up and down. How far along are you?

And dmknits: Microwave popcorn!!! I can see how that one would be gross.

Two smells I really like are:

1. Anything citrus (especially grapefruit and oranges)
2. Coffee (I'm not a coffee drinker, but my mom was making coffee the other day and the beans smelled really good to me).
Old 10-18-2007, 09:29 AM   #23
threesmom
Turning the Heel

First, here's a - every woman deserved to be babied during a pregnancy - every one! I was sick every day, almost the whole pregnancy with all three, but only from about 3:00 until 6 or 7. Making dinner was a nightmare! I remember having to just sit down in the middle of chopping or cooking, and we ate a lot of mashed potatoes. My dh calls those days the "white food" days. I wanted everything bland - and I'm normally a pretty high spicer. Chicken broth helped, and pretzels. Saltines made it worse. Sometimes sour things worked, and peppermint. Find what works for you.

Hang in there! Just wait until you start with the cravings! Food NEVER tastes so good until you are satisfying a craving!

Working on ... Central Park Hoodie, socks!, another baby blanket ...
Recent FOs ...baby blankets, v-neck sweater!, Nakiska headband, socks

I'm justbeth on

threesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to threesmom For This Useful Post:
gamerchik (10-19-2007)
Old 10-18-2007, 12:35 PM   #24
LoAnnie
1st Leg of the Journey

I'm 11 weeks along now. But I think I finally found something that works for me. It's those seaband things. I feel so much better today, since I bought them yesterday. It may be psychological, but that's ok by me, as long as I feel better. Have you found something that's working for you?

LoAnnie

LoAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 04:28 PM   #25
raederle
Ribbing the Cuff

MorningNoonNight Sickness
With both my pregnancies, I lost weight in the first trimester, and while I carry around a few extra pounds, I'm pretty average and I'm in the gain 25-35 pounds category. So I feel well-qualified to expound on MorningNoonNight sickness.

Some recommendations:
I wouldn't give my dog Perrier (no really, after I decided I hated it and still had three bottles of the four-pack left, we tried to give it to our dog, and she wouldn't drink it) but I LIVED on Clearly Canadian. For some carbonation sucks. For me, I couldn't drink plain water, and I was really worried about getting dehydrated, so I sought out flavored carbonated water and bought the store out.
Lemon drops can be helpful for some, hard candy kind.
There are papaya pills that are supposedly helpful. I liked them, but I don't know that they helped. I don't know they didn't either.
I second Unsaltines first thing in the morning. Wait 20 minutes before getting out of bed, to allow time to digest. You might still be sick, though.
Schweppes brand gingerale has the highest ginger content of major brands. They don't sell it where I live, so I used my family as couriers to get it here.
Toothpaste made me vomit. But unbrushed teeth are narsty too, so try a paste of baking soda and hydrogen peroxide (found in some pharmacies). Wash your hands well, then use a dime-size portion of baking soda with enough drops of the hydrogen peroxide to make a thick paste. It tastes salty rather than minty, and does the job. Also, be careful to clean your teeth after throwing up. Bulimics are often outed when their teeth begin to rot from stomach acids. Don't lose your teeth along with your waistline!
Throwing up really hard can cause broken capillaries in the face, so once you've done it often enough, you can control it a little, so you don't fight it and end up with red eyes.
Know that it is easier to throw up something than nothing, so do drink something. If you are going to anyway, might as well not have it hurt.
Plastic sandwich baggies make good MorningNoonNight sickness bags for the car. I'd often throw up a little on my way to work in the morning, and while it is always better to pull over and stop the car, if you can't and don't want to have to go home to change and have you car cleaned, put some bags in the console in easy reach.
An extra shirt in your purse or desk drawer might be called for, as well. This goes double for when the kid is here- extra shirt goes in your diaper bag.
DO NOT, under any circumstances, throw up in the sink. I know, sometimes you feel like you can hardly reach the porcelain throne in time, and the sink is handy. I know this from personal experience. The plumbers were NOT sympathetic. The floor is better, trust me.

Some long-winded advice:
For some, it lasts all pregnancy. For a few, medicine or hospitalization is necessary. For many, it stops with the first trimester. So look forward to feeling your baby move inside you, it may herald the end of your sickness!

Remember, Your Mileage May Vary. Take all this with a grain of salt, try what works, discard what doesn't.

My mother can't stand pork chops to this day, because she was having a bad bout while cooking some for my father. And she only remembered why after I was whining about "morning" sickness being false advertising. The reason why people haven't really talked about this is because you develop a real amnesia about it. Think about it--- if you remembered how bad it was, you wouldn't do it again!

The same is true for labor. It's the worst pain of your life, but you can't remember the actual pain afterwards. John 16:21

In fact you forget so much of things that when you are living them seem unforgettable, that I have to urge you to take the time to write it all down. You won't believe what happened later when you re-read it.

This goes for your pregnancy- take photos to track your belly's expansion in the same place once a month, then more often as you get huge, then stop altogether when you are horrified at how huge you are, despite pleading from far away family to see what you look like.
And for the first year- a calendar works better than a baby book. Write down on the calendar hanging above the changing table (you'll spend half your days there anyway) any firsts, like first teeth, first smile, first rollover, and such.
When your kids are grown up and you are waiting for them to have grandchildren, you'll have time to transfer it into a pretty baby book.
Leave your camera out so you can take lots of pictures. A camera safely tucked away in a drawer won't capture a baby pulling up on the sofa the first time.
My hospital didn't do the whole handprint/footprint thing anymore, so bring one of those Babies R Us kits with you to the hospital. In a pinch, fingerpaints are available at Walgreen's.
It sucks to be sick. And everyone will force their story of how they had the Worst (Pregnancy, Delivery, Colic) Ever on you, we can't help it, it seems. Just be patient with us, and know that the odds are against you having everything turn out horribly. A bad first trimester might mean your second is a breeze! A bad pregnancy might mean your baby is an angel, and sleeps through the night in a matter of months. A bad labor might mean you will be blessed with great caring nurses who fully support whatever feeding decision you make, full-on help for BFing, or butting out and recommending different formulas. God only sends you as much as you can handle. Ignore all the horror stories, and trust in him.

Good luck!
e
P.S. A spouse in our FRG says chicken tastes best coming back up.
raederle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to raederle For This Useful Post:
gamerchik (10-19-2007)
Old 10-18-2007, 06:04 PM   #26
Jenn_Knitter
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by dmknits View Post
Hopefully, you don't have to sit at a work desk near the lunchroom smelling the microwave bags of butter flavored popcorn people cooked throughout the day, every day, like I did with my first pregnancy. That was the worst! It's been almost 18 years since then, but I still can't stand that smell to this day.
Oh gosh, the smells. That's how I knew I was pregnant. I walked into the grocery store one night and the first scent that hit my nose was bread. I ran out into the parking lot and got sick right there. To this day I cannot stand the smell of loaf bread. I hated my pantry when I was pregnant because to me it always smelled like noodles and bread. I couldn't tolerate the smell of anything frying, after shave or rubber. I really liked lavender and peppermint.

LOL I also, for some unholy reason, had a real aversion to soup. I think it was because I was eating soup when I first realized I was feeling a bit pukey and something was "off". One night I went to my parents' house for dinner and I was actually enjoying a little quiche and some baked chicken when my dad started teasing me. He kept saying, "gee, Honey, this dinner sure is good, but it would be so much better if it there was soup with it." I started feeling green at that point, but he continued. "You know, some nice, thick, chunky stew with hunks of beef and peas and potatoes." I ran out the front door and threw up in their yard. I came in and my mom was bawling him out for making me sick.

I actually conceived the week before Thanksgiving, so I had the thrill of being sick all Christmas day, all day on my 21st birthday (which was in January), Valentine's Day, Easter and the cruelest of all - Mother's Day. My mom called me one morning and asked me how I was doing. I said, "I think I'm okay this morning. I just ate a cinnamon Altoid and I think it helped." It wasn't two minutes later I said, "No, wait...it didn't. Hold on a second." I got sick, came back and got on the phone in tears wailing to my mother, "How in the world do you throw up an Altoid?!"

But like I said, in the end it's really worth it. So long as you let your doctor know if there is any blood coming up when you get sick or you have horrible stomach cramps it will be okay. I would go through it again ten times more because my son is amazing.
Jenn_Knitter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jenn_Knitter For This Useful Post:
gamerchik (10-19-2007)
Old 10-18-2007, 08:21 PM   #27
angelisalynn
Casting On

Morning Sickness
I had morning sickness with my first child for at least 6 weeks. It was awful- would vomit all day long and even projectile (yuck!). The only thing that worked for me to some degree was regular old Coke. Some women swear by the pregnancy lolli pops too, but I didn't try those. They sell the lolli pops online and in Motherhood Maternity stores in most malls. Best of luck to you. The second trimester is SOOO much better!
angelisalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to angelisalynn For This Useful Post:
gamerchik (10-19-2007)
Old 10-18-2007, 09:43 PM   #28
ecb
Working the Gusset

Send a message via ICQ to ecb Send a message via AIM to ecb Send a message via MSN to ecb Send a message via Yahoo to ecb
lets see
after 3 sucessful pregnancies, and a few others not so successful

Chocolate pudding cups, the kinds from the grocery store
any time U R feeling qweezy eat one, might help you keep it down, but makes it a lot less nasy coming back up

to help me offset the nausea and vomitting (second two pregnancies, not the first, i did not know with her)
Home made custard (made with milk and eggs and sugar) and hard boiled eggs, and chicken/turkey

Ginger chews helped me more than the candies Ginger, and if you can get the jamaican Ginger Beer, its good too over a lot of ice.

Crackers did not help me much, but white rice did (Delivered from chinese restaraunt, eventually the hostess would call me if my neighbor was getting an order. I would tip a few dollars for a pint or so of just rice)

as to Ornages, the VERY sweet ones helped, but nothing sour for me, and the lifesavers were wonderul, as were canadian mints (the pink soft wintergreen ones)

Good Luck
sorry for your discomfort
Good judgement comes from experience
but Experience comes from Bad Judgment
ecb
ecb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ecb For This Useful Post:
gamerchik (10-19-2007)
Old 10-18-2007, 11:04 PM   #29
debinoz
Turning the Heel

I only had morning sickness with my first and it only lasted about 2 weeks. The prenatal vitamins were the culprit and I did great after I switched to childrens chewables. I remember Mom telling me to eat crackers and drink milk to coat my stomach. I do NOT recommend that. Yuck! I mostly sucked on sour apple jolly ranchers. I was also sick after I delivered and that's the only thing I could keep down. I agree with whoever said throwing up something was better than nothing. It's a bunch less painfull.

I hope all of you suffering can find an easy solution. You deserve to be relaxed and enjoy your pregnancies instead of worrying about when and where you're going to barf!
Old 10-19-2007, 07:07 PM   #30
gamerchik
Knitting the Flap

Thank you again for all of the suggestions. It helps knowing that all you ladies have been there, done that, lol.

I am finding that if I eat small amounts throughout the day (like eating one of those single-serving boxes of cereal without the milk), I'm doing a little better. Mints have helped a bit, and the ginger ale definitely made me feel better last night.

Debinoz, those sour apple jolly ranchers sound SO good. I must get some of those!