Old 10-19-2007, 02:39 PM   #21
knitncook
Working the Gusset

They really aren't that difficult. I LOVE her patterns, but her charts and directions leave something to be desired. If you check out my blog (url in my sig) I actually discuss my frustration in trying to figure out her instructions. She does discuss the directions in the front of her book, but if you rely just on the chart and the key (it's in the back of the book) you can get by. What I do is to write out one complete repeat and then knit it. After that I generally just refer to the pattern I've already done if I'm working a section that doesn't have any increases and decreases.

The patterns are very nice, though!

knitncook there, too!

OTN: Laughing Carrots; Jaywaler
FO: Potamus socks; Palindrome
knitncook is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to knitncook For This Useful Post:
AnnaT (10-20-2007)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-19-2007, 02:44 PM   #22
MrsDavis3
Knitting the Flap

presbyopia and charts
I absolutely have to enlarge charts. Then I fold up the row I just did, and knit the row at the bottom of my paper.

"One can never have enough socks."
A. Dumbledore, Book One, Chapter 12
MrsDavis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrsDavis3 For This Useful Post:
AnnaT (10-20-2007)
Old 10-19-2007, 04:07 PM   #23
sinistral_needler
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via Yahoo to sinistral_needler
I don't like charts either. I am trying to make my mom a sweater from a Classic Elite booklet and it has a chart for the cabling. The directions also say, knit until your piece measures X number of inches long. Not how many rows. Even though your guage is supposed to be correct. I don't like such vague-ness.

"Do whatever {Jesus} tells you to." ~ John 2:5
OTN: Nashua simple ribbed scarf, Seeded Cable Cardigan for Mom, washcloths, Rainy Day Scarf
OTH: baby bobble afghan, shells afghan
sinistral_needler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 11:23 PM   #24
LadyB
1st Leg of the Journey

I was intimidated by charts until I used one. Now I like them as much as, if not more than, written patterns.

Originally Posted by sinistral_needler View Post
I don't like charts either. I am trying to make my mom a sweater from a Classic Elite booklet and it has a chart for the cabling. The directions also say, knit until your piece measures X number of inches long. Not how many rows. Even though your guage is supposed to be correct. I don't like such vague-ness.
I actually prefer the "knit until your piece measures X" instructions because it's hard to make a mistake. After all, 13" is 13" all the time.
LadyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 12:49 AM   #25
AnnaT
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by cspooks View Post
I've had this book for years, and I still haven't made anything out of it. I have no idea why - the cables are really stunning! She does explain how to read the charts. Go for it! Which one are you thinking of doing?

Aren't they stunning? I like the double overhand knots on page 70 and 71. I was thinking of making a scarf--something easy that I could practice on.
AnnaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 12:55 AM   #26
AnnaT
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by knitncook View Post
They really aren't that difficult. I LOVE her patterns, but her charts and directions leave something to be desired. If you check out my blog (url in my sig) I actually discuss my frustration in trying to figure out her instructions. She does discuss the directions in the front of her book, but if you rely just on the chart and the key (it's in the back of the book) you can get by. What I do is to write out one complete repeat and then knit it. After that I generally just refer to the pattern I've already done if I'm working a section that doesn't have any increases and decreases.

I bookmarked your blog to read later! Thank you for the reference!

I am a little worried about her paired increases and decreases. I mean, I just learned to do SSK last week. I think that once I try it, it won't be that hard. But I am not allowing myself to try anything until I finish my Christmas knitting!!!
AnnaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 01:58 AM   #27
gargoylelib
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by knitncook View Post

Just read your comments on your blog about the book patterns and
I am just the opposite. The instructions were clear and
understandable and posed no problem! Isn't it funny how different
people "get" different things? I guess that is why we need
forums like this so we can discuss....hehe I actually have to
make notes on cable patterns that say something like C4B or
C4F to say right cross or left cross because that is what makes
more sense to me. Funny!
Libbie
gargoylelib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 03:38 AM   #28
Cia
Ribbing the Cuff

Location: I live in a small village in sweden, small to the extent I pass two cowpastures on my way to school
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
There's two types of knitters, those who were forced to use a chart and now love charted patterns, and those who were forced to use a chart and still don't like charted patterns.

I'm the former.

Good luck, hope you're a former too.

Um.. well, I guess there's also the knitters who have yet to be forced to use a chart, but you know... lol
Don't forget that there's the strange ones that think charts look like math and had a 'love at first sight' experience with charts (people like me for example )

OTN:
My long forgotten socks...

Projects to come:
Sweater for that certain someone
Some lacework from my spainish lace book

My blog:
The knitting faerie

Cia is offline   Reply With Quote