Old 10-24-2007, 09:26 AM   #61
ekgheiy
Instepping Out

Send a message via ICQ to ekgheiy Send a message via AIM to ekgheiy Send a message via MSN to ekgheiy Send a message via Yahoo to ekgheiy
Originally Posted by kokum2 View Post
Attached are some pictures of a few of the ones I have made. The ripple one was just trying to use up some of my yarn, same with the flower one. ( crocheted Blocks)
Mmm, nice blankies!!! I'm totally digging the ripple one!

ekgheiy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ekgheiy For This Useful Post:
kokum2 (10-24-2007)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-24-2007, 09:44 AM   #62
bip
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by kokum2 View Post
As for the comment that those big bulky afghans made by a relative being tossed into a closet never to be seen again... that is not true about ones I have made
I have to agree with you, the FOs are plenty nice. My mom has a crochet afghan that her favorite aunt made her, which was made with RHSS oh, about 30 years ago. When my brother and I go home to visit, we fight over it, lol. And more recently, my grandma gave me a crochet blanket out of RHSS. DH and I fought over it so much, she gave us a second. He is a HUGE softness snob. I don't exggerate at all when I say that the way he chooses his clothes is that he goes around the store and then buys whatever is softest, almost regardless of what it looks like (ahem, or what it costs, Mr. 100% Cashmere Corduroy Sport Coat). But he liked the blanket so much, he took it to work with him for a while when they were having a/c problems that made their conference room FREEZING (he was a scientist, and the 4+ hour lab meetings were unbearable w/o it, though his lab mates took to calling him Dr. Granny, particularly after he fell asleep on the conference room couch DURING lab meeting).

And I agree that working it up more loosely helps. We have a third blanket that my aunt knit on like 13s or 15s and it is muy soft. DH obviously always leaves the formerly preferred crochet blankets to me now, in favor of that one!
bip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 10:50 AM   #63
Nunnemaker
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via MSN to Nunnemaker Send a message via Yahoo to Nunnemaker
My Grandmother made me a ripple afghan when I was born. It is a ripple crocheted blanket with different shades of pink. She made it 32 years ago and it still looks great and it is the most comfortable blanket I have. I agree that Red Heart is all scratchy and rough when your knitting with it but after washing it is a very comfy fiber. I agree about the Simply Soft though. I crochet baby blankets for shower gifts and I only use Simply Soft.

OTN: Another pair of socks, two blankets for Christmas presents.
Nunnemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 11:24 AM   #64
redwitch
Working the Gusset

I think those who were offended by opinions on this wool are partly so because of comments like 'it has its place' and 'some people can only afford this stuff'. For some people, it seems to be a slight compromise for the great price, but remember that for others it feels perfectly fine, just because you don't like the feel doesn't mean that everyone else agrees it feels awful and those who use it only do so because they can't afford the good stuff or because its for a project that doesn't require quality. I don't think there is anyone who hates it but uses it frequently because they can't afford anything else, or because they are only knitting items for (insert unworthy/unappreciative recipient here).
Those who do like it don't do so because of poverty, they just have a different taste. I know of many knitters who find cotton very hard on the hands and can't knit with it, but you don't hear them saying 'well it has its place, I suppose if you can't afford anything better...' - in matters of taste there is no arguing remember!
P.S. those of you whho have acrylic that you now dislike and won't use, how about donating it to a good cause... a school, or a charity group that knits blankets, or anything else (sorry been reading Rabbitch's blog today)?

I think conditioner will work on synthetics too, on animal fibre it's because the fibres are smoothed down, but on a synthetic it will still feel more slippery, conditioner's basically an oil/lubricant (or feels as slippery).

I am really jealous of all you people with such a range of stuff available!
redwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to redwitch For This Useful Post:
Duckling326 (10-24-2007)
Old 10-24-2007, 11:48 AM   #65
Duckling326
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via MSN to Duckling326 Send a message via Yahoo to Duckling326
I am loving the crochet afghan, what great work!

Maybe we should start a RHSS knit a long hahaha

The poncho is knitting up very well I will post pictures of the FO as soon as it is done. i'm hoping to have this one completed in a week or two.
Recently off the needles Sleeved Poncho, Little Girls Dressy Coat

Recently learned to weave on that is going to be a pillow
Duckling326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 12:10 PM   #66
bip
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
just because you don't like the feel doesn't mean that everyone else agrees it feels awful and those who use it only do so because they can't afford the good stuff or because its for a project that doesn't require quality.
Ack! Every project requires quality! Otherwise why go through the trouble? I make baby blankets out of bargain yarn not because I think more expensive yarns are "too nice" or because I don't think baby stuff needs to be high quality, but because I truly don't believe they will hold up to all the washing and use they will get.

Maybe the pricey superwashes do hold up, but I just don't trust them enough to put the money down. I only trust hardy bargain yarns to hold up because we have projects that have been in our family for decades that prove that they do. We don't have anything of an expensive yarn that is still around ... though that may be because previous generations in my family couldn't afford more expensive yarns.

I don't think people really assume that just because people use RHSS that they can't afford more expensive yarn. But every time there is one of these threads, many people who use it SAY that they can't afford more expensive yarn, or choose not to spend their money on more expensive yarn.

That is where the idea comes from, not the people who aren't using it.
bip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 02:01 PM   #67
simplethings
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via AIM to simplethings
I'm not a big fan of RHSS. Or acrylics in general. One of the main reasons is that I prefer to use wood needles. Wood and acrylics don't mix. Acrylics squeak and 'stick' and act all stubborn on my woodens.

Acrylics aren't completely horrible though. The top reason on my list to use them is that they are completely washable. Once in a while I'll grab a skein of Simply Soft... because it's simply soft and VERY affordable. ^_^ I like to use acrylics when I'm learning/conquering a new technique. Of course, I'll have to drop my bamboo and choose metal needles when working it.
I think RHSS makes an awesome teaching yarn. It's inexpensive and the plies don't separate very easily (unlike Simply Soft) which gives great stitch definition and an overall easier knitting experience for beginners (not a lot of poking through the yarn, splitting it, and then knitting into the split).

On the other hand, someone mentioned earlier that RHSS hurts their index finger. I couldn't agree more, the roughness of the yarn rubs the top knuckle of my index finger raw and I'm not a tight knitter. Like an ongoing rug burn. When I work with not-so-soft yarns I'll end up wearing a band aid as protection.

and i blog about it too: http://cashmereblend.blogspot.com

check me out on ravelry.com:
http://www.ravelry.com/people/simplethings
simplethings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 02:22 PM   #68
miccisue
Turning the Heel

I'm the opposite - I have to use bamboo needles with Red Heart (which, along with Caron Simply Soft is about all I use) because the aluminum needles are too slipppery for me.

And, even though I shouldn't speak for Redwitch, I think she meant that people felt that anything made from Red Heart was not a quality item - not that she felt that way. It's a definite impression I get from the forum......
miccisue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 06:48 PM   #69
annomalley
Knitting the Flap

Count me among the people who aren't fans of the RHSS. I don't like how it feels when I work with it. But I would never look down on someone who knits (or crochets) with it or likes to work with it. If RHSS floats your boat, then go for it!

It pains me sometimes that some of the most affordable yarn is also the ones I like to work with the least. I would love to make an afghan, but buying yarn for that can be expensive. I once attempted an afghan with Bernat Softee Chunky, but quit because I could literally feel the petroleum in it to the point where I was sure I could take a ball of that yarn and wring the oil out of it. I ended up giving the yarn away.

Most people who aren't knitters probably won't know the difference between natural and artificial (unless they're allergic), and at least from judging from the reactions that I get when I've given knitted things to people, they're more impressed with the fact that you took the time to make something hand knit for them. When I gave my son his gloves for his birthday, he didn't care that I did not buy the most expensive wool yarn at the LYS (I used Lion Brand Lion Wool I bought at one of the bigger box stores). He was touched that I took the time and made them for him.

People should knit with what they can afford and what they like. Knitting should be for everyone, not just for those who can drop a large chunk o' change on enough cashmere to knit a sweater and not bat an eyelash when the total comes up. Just because someone only buys the most expensive yarn at the LYS doesn't make them a better knitter than the person who bought a boatload of RHSS at Hobby Lobby on clearance. It just makes them a knitter with a bad attitude.

One the subject of yarn snobs, I haven't come across many true yarn snobs on this forum. I see people refer to themselves as yarn snobs, but I don't see them put someone else down because they knit with RHSS or other synthetic/inexpensive yarns. But my definition of a yarn snob is someone like the person who wrote the pattern for the Big Bad Baby Blanket in the first SnB book. She suggests that we should knit a baby blanket in a very expensive hand painted 100% wool yarn and forget about ease of care because acrylic yarns are "cheesy" (her words, not mine). I don't know about you guys, but I don't think I would appreciate having to find the time to hand wash a blanket when I barely have time to think, much less having to wash baby poo out of a blanket made from hand painted wool yarn because the diaper leaked.
Ramona from Sensual Knits

FO:
Several dishcloths

annomalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 07:36 PM   #70
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,761 Times in 7,129 Posts
Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
In what way does it hurt your hands,
It doesn't matter how tightly I knit it, it's just kind of rough on my hands and the last time I used it I ended up with sore spot on my fingers. I think it may be a combination of the way I knit and the yarn it self combined with slightly sensitive skin.

If someone enjoys it then I see no problem using it, but if you aren't happy there are other choices.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote