Old 11-01-2007, 08:00 AM   #11
MsB
1st Leg of the Journey

:::sigh:::I've decided to bring my work and the pattern to the local knitting store. Hopefully they can show me what I need to do.
MsB is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-01-2007, 09:41 AM   #12
brittyknits
Turning the Heel

That's a great idea-- to take it to your LYS. But just in case you don't-- do you understand from the video how to pick up stitches? If you do, here's the only adjustment you have to make. Do you see how she's poking the needle through the fabric from front to back, that is, away from her? And then knitting the stitch? All you have to do is poke it from back to front, that is, TOWARDS you, and then purl it.
As for having problems with this pattern. . .some of it is getting used to knitting abbreviations and garment construction. And some of it is that instead of the old days, when patterns were almost always produced by the yarn companies and proof-read a zillion times, now there are new ones coming out literally every week, and the mistakes are just too numerous to count (take a look at the sites devoted to corrections, for instance!). Also, patterns could be complicated, but were standard-- an Aran sweater was an Aran sweater was an Aran sweater. Just look at the number of threads on this site devoted to pattern confusion! My point being, don't get frustrated or think it's you!
brittyknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 02:52 PM   #13
MsB
1st Leg of the Journey

Reporting in after my trip to the yarn store. I am happy to say this was not me. The woman who owns the store looked at the photo and the instructions sat down at a table and started knitting. She ripped out her work three times and finally said the best solution was to Pick up stitches knitwise. She also suggested I not do the 154 stitches called for and to make sure I just did enough stitches to follow the pattern.

What a relief! Hopefully I'll have the opportunity to give it a try tonight.
MsB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 10:07 PM   #14
brittyknits
Turning the Heel

Told you so! . A lot of people say, "trust the pattern", but I've found that often leads you into a snake filled pit, despite your best efforts . I'm so glad she could help you, and hope to see a photo posted when it's all done!
brittyknits is offline   Reply With Quote