Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-02-2007, 06:28 PM   #1
boyforpele13
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to boyforpele13 Send a message via MSN to boyforpele13 Send a message via Yahoo to boyforpele13
can any techies help me? network cards
hi all!

i need a new network card. i have a wireless router set up for my laptop already, and with the prices on ebay being so low for wireless desktop cards and USBs, i was thinking of maybe going that route instead. however, i just don't get it! i've done googling and such and while i consider myself to be pretty technologically savvy, this is beyond me, i'm afraid. i understand that wireless G is 54 mbps (which is megabits per second, if i'm not mistaken) although from my reading, i see it is more reasonable to expect around 22 mbps. the fastest download my ISP offers is 7 mbps (i think? 7 something) and i regularly test somewhere between 5500 and 9500 kbps. if i am correct in 5500 to 9500 kbps translating to 5.5 to 9.5 mbps, that would mean if the wireless card truly does get 22 mbps, i would not lose anything by switching from a PCI fast ethernet card to a wireless? (I could install a PCI wireless too with antenna, that is in the options as well, might do that because less likely for me to break it or pop it out and i have no problem installing one) I know that fast ethernet can go up to 100 mbps, but if 9 mbps is the highest my ISP has to offer, does it matter?

thanks so much!

Share Your Life With a Deaf Dog!

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. - Marianne Williamson
boyforpele13 is offline   Reply With Quote