Old 10-30-2007, 01:18 PM   #11
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,750 Times in 7,120 Posts
UPDATE!! The pattern link should work now. Here's the pattern in all it's glory INCLUDING pictures and the chart!
http://www.knittinghelp.com/patterns/free-knitting-patterns-heart-double-knit-hot-pad

Hob, Amy used worsed weight cotton for this tutorial. If you choose to use something else just don't use acrylic if you intend to use it as a hotpad.. acrylic can melt. I think I'd go with wool myself for it's insulating properties.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-30-2007, 05:13 PM   #12
msmelody
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via Yahoo to msmelody
Thank you for getting this fixed. I appreciate it a lot.

I am msmelody on Ravelry.

Water4gas is my new pursuit.
msmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 02:00 PM   #13
granola_mom
Casting On

Thanks so much! I was thinking I was going to have to give up on this one...
Oh and I'm using debbie bliss pure cotton. I wanted something washable but also really nice and soft.
granola_mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 10:37 PM   #14
hob
Knitting the Flap

ok thanks cotton or wool then. cotton sounds easer.
hob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 12:00 PM   #15
tephanieS
Casting On

Hi,

I was wondering... I casted on 30 stitches the long tail way (60 threads), and for the first row, the pattern says slip the first stitch......

Is that first stitch red or is it supposed to be white?
tephanieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 12:11 PM   #16
isabeau
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by tephanieS View Post
Is that first stitch red or is it supposed to be white?
It deoends on how you cast on. (Well, really, the order of the stitches on the needle.)

To a large extent it doesn't matter. I was slightly neurotic, when I did mine, about making sure that the cast-on stitches alternated R W R W, since I wasn't happy with random ordering -- in that case, I had a white first stitch, so that the RS stitches were red (contrasting with the white of the first row) and the ...other-RS stitches were white (again contrasting). You could also do it the other way around for an elongated color area on the first row, or have it random if that's easier. It has a minor visual effect on the end product, but doesn't change how you knit, since after you complete the first row you'll have the colors in the correct places.

I knit, therefore I am.

Current projects: a hat, one pair of socks, a pair of fingerless gloves, and zero sanity. Future projects: more socks, more gloves (some with fingers, even!), a tea cozy, a penguin scarf, and even less sanity.
isabeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 02:23 PM   #17
tephanieS
Casting On

Thanks for the reply

and what colour of stitch do you slip off for the first stitch of the second row since you finished the first row with a pearl stitch using both colours?
tephanieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 03:18 PM   #18
isabeau
1st Leg of the Journey

Both colors.

The pattern is over ... well, 29 stitches twice, so 58 stitches; the two outer stitches are both edge stitches. You slip the first one, and knit the last one with both colors, but you then treat the with-both-colors thing as a single stitch, and slip it. (If you didn't, you'd end up with a slightly odd-shaped dishcloth, since you'd be increasing one every row. )

I knit, therefore I am.

Current projects: a hat, one pair of socks, a pair of fingerless gloves, and zero sanity. Future projects: more socks, more gloves (some with fingers, even!), a tea cozy, a penguin scarf, and even less sanity.
isabeau is offline   Reply With Quote