Old 04-10-2014, 06:35 PM   #1
talishao
Casting On

Shoulders and Back Neck
Hello again!

Sorry for posting another shoulder back thread. I read the ones just posted, but I'm still a little bit confused.
My pattern says to cast off 10 stitches (which I don't know how to do!), P30 incl one st already on right-hand needle after casting off, turn.
I don't actually understand what any of this means!
Then it says: "Dec one st at neck edge in next 5 rows, AT SAME TIME cast off 10 sts in every foll alt row twice.
Cast off rem 12 sts.
Slip next 28 sts onto a stitch holder for neckband. With right side facing, join c2 to rem 47 sts for left side of back neck and purl to end.
Cast off 10sts at beg of next row and then in every foll alt row twice, AT SAME TIME dec one st at neck edge in next 5 riws.
Work 1 row. Cast off rem 12 sts."

So, I'm using the option where I only do one colour, so the c2 thing isn't relevant to me, BUT foes that mean I just do the cast of 10 sts bit at the very end (last para I typed)? I don't really understand any of this or how I'm meant to do it. Help would be very much appreciated!!

T
talishao is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-10-2014, 07:02 PM   #2
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,503 Times in 3,178 Posts
No problem posting more shoulders cast off etc. There are all sorts of variations. When you bind off, you'll knit 2sts and then begin to count the sts lifted over and off the needle. When you've lifted over 10sts, you'll be left with one st on the righthand needle. here's a video for casting off.
http://www.laurachau.com/as-promised...heel-tutorial/

You're basically working the shoulders one at a time with 28sts center sts on a holder for the neck. When it says to join c2, you'll have to join a new end of the color you're using and then work the second shoulder. It may help to write out the decreases for the neck and shoulder bind offs on a drawing and then check them off as you do them. It helps make sense of "at the same time" directions.