Old 08-12-2014, 07:49 PM   #1
jd1360
Ribbing the Cuff

Pattern from in the round to flat
I'm looking to create a pattern and I'm looking for a lace pattern that I'll start off in the round, then move to flat.

The lace pattern itself doesn't matter (something fairly easy like a YO, K2tog), I'm more worried about messing up once I go flat.

Advice? Let me know if this is not enough information to go off of. In my head this makes sense, but yeah...

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-12-2014, 08:54 PM   #2
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,500 Times in 3,175 Posts
Sounds interesting.
I'm not sure exactly what you're thinking of for the lace pattern but it should work just fine in the round and then flat. You would do that if you were knitting a bottom-up, lace sweater in the round and switching to flat after the armholes.
If you're thinking about a stockinette stitch background for the lace pattern, you would do a row of the lace pattern in the round and then maybe a row or more of knit sts. When you switch to knitting flat, you could keep the lace pattern rows as right side rows and use purl rows on the wrong side.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:44 AM   #3
lewister
Ribbing the Cuff

(Couple days late here, sorry about that.)

Just keep the in-the-round portion an even number of rows for a set. So Round 1: YO, K2tog; Round 2: Knit; Round 3: Knit; Round 4: Knit.

That allows you to keep the YO row on the right side when you switch to knitting flat.
Row 1 (RS): YO, K2tog; Row 2 (WS): Purl; Row 3 (RS): Knit; Row 4 (WS): Purl

Doesn't matter how you set up the sequence. You just want to make it an even number that allows you to keep the YOs on the right side once you move to knitting flat.