Old 07-20-2010, 07:42 AM   #1
kezzles22
Casting On

Hiya, i'm new to knitting
Hi all,

My name is Kerry, i'm 23 and have decided today that i want to start knitting. My sister is pregnant with her first baby due in January and i want to knit the baby a few bits before it arrives, so it has something special from me. I really want to make a hat, mitten, bottie and cardigan set and also if i have time, a small blanket.

If anyone could give me some advice i will be highly greatful.

Thanks

Kerry.x
kezzles22 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-20-2010, 09:03 AM   #2
hyperactive
Working the Gusset

Hi Kerry!
welcome to the world of knitting addiction!
have you ever done any knitting before? have you done other crafts?

well, however: you will learn quickly if you just pay attention.

Basically you need to learn how to cast on (get those loops on the needle (stitches :D)).

then you do knit stitches (knits) and purl stitches (purls) - but for a start you get by with just knit stitches.

If you have someone to teach you in person, ask for advice.

If not: check the video-section of this page. Learn a cast on (for example long tail or cable cast on). Learn the knit stitch. Start working something in knit stitch. Then learn purl stitch. At last learn cast of.

The videos are informative and for free.

you can also learn with other videos / books / instructions.

Buy some cheap wool and needles (advice you get at the shop) and start out practicing what you see in the instructions. make a few practice pieces for scrap only.

I like the videos at www.garnstudio.com - they are described in text from in English (and a lot of other languages) and show plain and simple how things work.

To make hats, booties, jackets, you will need to learn a few other tricks of the trade. But once you know your basics those will just follow.

find patterns for stuff you want to make (there are loads of free patterns on the net, so you can stay away from costy ones, I guess).
Patterns often say if they are suitable for beginners. If you are not sure, ask in the forum for advice on a very simple pattern. that gives you more guarantee of satisfaction with the outcome.

Just as a last note: knitting can be undone. I know, that everyone knows that. But to me it means: if you are not happy with something, you can always rip it back out and start over. If you can live with whatever went wrong: keep it, though.

Edit: for a very simple baby hat (bonnet style) you can ask me. I will write the pattern down for you in beginner-friendly words. Just mail to me here. (all you need is cast-on. knit stitch, cast off.
hyperactive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 09:15 AM   #3
cindycactus
Turning the Heel

Welcome Kerry. This is the best Knitting Site I have found. Lots of friendly advice available here. Just ask. The videos are great for beginners and also for advanced knitters. Have fun and congratulations on becoming an Auntie.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:06 AM   #4
Debbie
Working the Gusset

Starting with the blanket will give you lots of practice !! The videos on this site are wonderful learning tools!

I am DebbieKnits on Ravelery
Debbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 11:36 AM   #5
rachejm
Knitting the Flap

Hi Kerry!

Welcome to the forum!

The videos on this site are really good, its how I learned to knit. There are plenty of books as well if you wanted to invest in something like that - its good for when the internet goes down just when you want to look up that technique you need.

I would start with a little swatch just practicing the stitches, then find a simple blanket pattern and do that first. Knitting Pattern Central is a good place to start looking.

If you get stuck at all just post on here!

rachejm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 11:51 AM   #6
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,641 Times in 7,043 Posts
Before you get into any of these patterns I suggest getting some needles and yarn and watching the videos and just practice. It will make you more comfortable and you'll be happier with your projects when you do start.

I suggest size 8 or 9 (US) wood needles and some light colored, smooth, worsted weight yarn (it may have a 4 on the label). Light colored makes it easy to see the stitches, smooth works much better than fuzzy when you're learning. Learn to cast on, knit and purl and you can learn to bind off as well.

There are videos at the tab at the top of the page. If you need more than just the videos you can find more help here including still photos.
http://www.knitpicks.com/tutorials/B...ls__L1001.html

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 11:11 PM   #7
mspwrz
1st Leg of the Journey

Welcome to both of our Newbies!
OTH: Hat to match scarf
FO: (C)Scarf for International Swap, 12 chemo hats this month, 2 Oddball blanket sections
ITB-too many UFO's LOL!!!!
mspwrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 10:41 AM   #8
Irishmam
1st Leg of the Journey

Hi Kerry from Ireland (do you have an Irish connection or simply an Irish name?)

My top tip is to keep asking the lovely people here questions. Never seen a question go unanswered here yet!

Welcome and enjoy your knitting - it is good for the soul

Irishmam
Old 07-22-2010, 10:39 AM   #9
smm99
Casting On

Hi Kerry (and everyone),

My name is Stephanie, and I'm new here too, although I've been browsing the forums for months now, learning a LOT! This is the best knitting site out there as far as I'm concerned.

Anyway, my 2 cents is this: if you're going to start with a blanket (after practicing as Jan suggested), don't start with a patchwork blanket that you have to seam together. That's how I started, because it seemed like a good idea at the time. O.M.G. The knitting went fairly smoothly, but the seaming is going to be the death of me... not the seaming itself, but the sheer amount of it.... I'd rather be knitting than sewing...

OTN: Mittens, toques, and blankets! Winter's here!
Learning to crochet, too, when my hands are free (which, alas, is rarely since my babe was born in August...)
smm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 07:40 AM   #10
kezzles22
Casting On

Hi all,

Thankyou for the lovely welcome. I haven't got my sticks or anything yet as i'd like to know how to learn, (i would ask my Gran but she tried teaching me when i was 6 but got moody with me when i didn't learn straight away and wouldn't teach me anymore lol) a bit about it before i start properly... hope this makes sense.

I do different kinds of crafts, i make reborns which are very realistic baby dolls. i love doing it and it takes a lot of concentration and patience.

I'm from a county called Buckinghamshire in England, i'm full english lol so i'm afraid it's just my name that is irish lol.

I can't wait to be an Auntie which is why i want to make something special for the baby, i've already spent a fortune on him/her but i think making something will be a lot nicer.

Sorry i haven't been back, i had 2 days off work with a migraine and haven't been on laptop at home because i have a new kitten and he is being a little terror lol he won't let me leave the living room (which is where he's staying at the moment while i get Alfie (other cat) used to him) just to go to the loo without crying. he's worse than a baby lol. my son wasn't as bad, at least i could leave the room to pee

Thankyou for replying to me and i hope i get to know you all a bit better.

Kerry.xx
kezzles22 is offline   Reply With Quote