Old 07-29-2010, 11:39 AM   #11
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,845 Times in 1,909 Posts
Good ideas!

I've already been planning a "field trip" for an upcoming class....to take them to a nice yarn shop. I want them to have a project chosen ahead of time, so they can buy yarn for it that day.
Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-29-2010, 02:36 PM   #12
luvmykid28
Turning the Heel

Thanks Sandy for sharing this information. I will hold onto it.

Just a few weeks ago, I was offered a nice sum of money to teach kids to knit. I turned it down, for several of reasons, A) I only had about 6 hours to prepare, B) I have never taught kids C) I was to teach 1 hour classes from 8am-5pm. The idea was a bit intimidating. Your outline might be the ticket, to helping me if I get the chance again next summer.

I have three passions:
1. My husband
2. My daughter
3. Knitting
Everything else can wait.
luvmykid28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 09:43 PM   #13
sgtpam
Turning the Heel

Knitting (and crocheting) is definitely more popular again. I went into half-price books the other day and there was a full "end-cap" full of K and C books right there in the very FRONT of the store...pretty cool

sgtpam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 06:01 AM   #14
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Here's the latest news on my knitting students!

We enjoyed our trip to a nice yarn shop - Cottage Yarn
I told them that my cousin Sara owns the shop, and they should feel free to ask her any questions. When we arrived at the shop, I took them in, and walked them around to give them a quick tour of everything.

One of my students was especially amazed by the shop, and asked my cousin, "How much would it cost to buy the whole shop?" My cousin replied, "About five million dollars." My student seemed to take her seriously, and quickly went to tell the other girls. They were a lot of fun.

Soon, they were busy choosing yarn for their projects.....with intent looks on their faces. One of them pulled out her cell phone to use the calculator, and the others quickly did the same. (So funny to see all those little girls with their own cell phones.) They LOVED the bargain porch, where everything is 40% Off. They parked themselves in that room, and kept asking each other for advice. I stood by for the occasional, "Miss Sandy! Will this work for my project?"

When we went to the register with their purchases, they were surprised to see that some of their yarn was less expensive than they thought it would be! They were so happy....just glowing about their yarn.

On the drive back to their house, I stopped to get them each a cool drink at Dunkin Donuts. Pretty soon, I had a loud group of laughing girls in the back of my car. They had a blast. One of them said, "This is the BEST DAY I've ever had in my life!"

Now that school has started back, I don't get to see them as often. I miss them, and send them emails occasionally just to say "Hello", and send them links to fun beginner projects.

Recently, I found out about a Saturday Open House at a local alpaca farm....so I have invited them to come with me to that. I want to show them where yarn comes from. They have all agreed to come!

Now, I'm looking forward to seeing the girls again, and looking at the sweet furry animals together. One of them has already asked if they can buy yarn at the farm. I told her that they only have the fiber to MAKE yarn, but I am willing to spin some of the fiber into yarn for her on my wheel if she wants. If time permits, I will take them by my house to show them how I spin.

Until our next update.......
Old 09-10-2010, 12:17 PM   #15
knittingincarolina
Ribbing the Cuff

Thanks for teaching a new generation the art and fun of knitting. Sounds like you have a fun group.
knittingincarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 07:36 PM   #16
hyperactive
Working the Gusset

Hi!

those girls are SO lucky. That is a really great project you have gotten into there.
I wish there was an alpaca farm near me anywhere. Oh, I want some knitters to teach! Really!

I have been away from the forum for a bit, but I am still around!
hyperactive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 08:56 PM   #17
ewalker
1st Leg of the Journey

Teaching kids to knit
[quote=Shandeh;1299910]
Here's the latest news on my knitting students!

I am about to try and teach high school kids how to knit. Need all the help you are willing to give.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:14 PM   #18
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Originally Posted by knittingincarolina View Post
Thanks for teaching a new generation the art and fun of knitting. Sounds like you have a fun group.
Thanks for the encouragement!

Originally Posted by hyperactive View Post
those girls are SO lucky. That is a really great project you have gotten into there.
I wish there was an alpaca farm near me anywhere. Oh, I want some knitters to teach! Really!
Thanks, my friend!
I am so blessed that the lessons have gone as well as they have. It has really helped to have such intelligent, interested students. And the alpaca farm is a blessing too! You might be able to find a fiber animal farm in your area. Just check with your county agriculture department.

Originally Posted by ewalker View Post
I am about to try and teach high school kids how to knit. Need all the help you are willing to give.
Good luck teaching high schoolers! They are old enough to "get it" and do some great projects. Just spend some time before class finding easy patterns, knit some samples with bright colors, and bring lots of handouts of different patterns for them to choose from. Be patient with each of them, and try to keep a positive attitude. There might be some really talented knitters in the mix, and they can help the slower ones.
Old 09-11-2010, 10:16 AM   #19
mspwrz
1st Leg of the Journey

Teaching High Schoolers to Knit
I have a male student who is really intersted in learning to knit. He asks me almost every day when he comes to class when he can learn. Here is the interesting part...The kid is from a "roughneck" family (a family of oilfield workers, rugged hard working type) and I do not know what to start out with for him. Any suggestions? I thought maybe a wool hat as it can get pretty cold in the winter around here if you are working outdoors. n He is just a very atypical potential student.
OTH: Hat to match scarf
FO: (C)Scarf for International Swap, 12 chemo hats this month, 2 Oddball blanket sections
ITB-too many UFO's LOL!!!!
mspwrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 05:34 PM   #20
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Originally Posted by mspwrz View Post
......I do not know what to start out with for him. Any suggestions?......
I would just show him several different patterns, and see which one he is interested in. If it were me teaching him, I wouldn't think so much about his family, as I would just HIM. Knitting might be one way he can express his individuality. He might like making scarves, hats, pillows, placemats, can cozies, book covers, slippers, and eventually sweaters. Good luck!