Old 09-11-2010, 08:37 PM   #21
mspwrz
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by Shandeh View Post
I wouldn't think so much about his family, as I would just HIM. Knitting might be one way he can express his individuality.. Good luck!
He has talked about the oilfields work and how he loves it too. He seemed to like that I understood what it was about and how dangerous it is. I think I was trying to think in terms of what he would be interested in, Guess I should ask him, right?
Thanks for the suggestiions!
OTH: Hat to match scarf
FO: (C)Scarf for International Swap, 12 chemo hats this month, 2 Oddball blanket sections
ITB-too many UFO's LOL!!!!
mspwrz is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-12-2010, 04:50 AM   #22
hyperactive
Working the Gusset

Hi!
that student I would teach the basics as to anyone, that is for sure. And offer options. He will chose what he likes.
I think it is a little unlikely he will have much use for lace... but you never know.
A hat is surely a practical thing. Scarfs always are, too. But also fun things.

I think, cell phone pouches get attention with younger kids.

How old is he? Maybe stuffed animals would be a thing to do? The easiest one we did in elementary school was either a snake or a parrot.

For the snake you make a long colorful strip, then sew it up along the long side and stitch on eyes or sew on buttons for it, knit, braid or knot a forking toung or cut one from felt.

For an easy parrot you make a piece that is wider and shorter. Sew that up to a tube as well. For more advanced: knit wings.
otherways: stitch on eyes, cut wings, beak and feet from felt and sew on.

I think, those are great beginner projects since they can be done in knit stitch only if needed. You can also start them out in garter and continue for some part in st st or rev st st to make a practice piece.

Color changes are important for that, though.

Well, if he is a teenager already that might be to "small" for him. But maybe he has siblings to make a christmas gift for?

Tell him how easy difficult patterns / routines can be practices on dish cloth, wash cloth and pot holders. Maybe he wants to add them to the household.

Do not worry about his father's job. The boy wants to knit so give him the chance. If he will not continue that is his decission. But knitting men - especially in tough jobs - were a regular occasion in former times. You want a warm vest even if your wife does not make one (or you do not have a wife)... He asks so fill him in!

I have been away from the forum for a bit, but I am still around!
hyperactive is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hyperactive For This Useful Post:
mspwrz (09-12-2010)
Old 09-12-2010, 03:51 PM   #23
mspwrz
1st Leg of the Journey

The student is 16 and lives with older sister and brother-in-law. They moved here to be closer to the fields where his BIL works. I am not worried about the work but about finding the right projects for him. I have talked to him about how it is more common than one would think for 'rugged' men to knit. I can really see him maybe wanting to do a hat with a logo knit into it. There are many men here who knit as well. I would be interested in their thoughts.
FO: (C)Scarf for International Swap, 12 chemo hats this month, 2 Oddball blanket sections
Old 09-12-2010, 05:22 PM   #24
hyperactive
Working the Gusset

I think you over-worry. Just start teaching him. He has asked.
He will find out what projects he will embark on. I mean in worst case he may do a project that he is not all that much into. Then a next project will fix that. All of us have made projects that were not the best thing we ever did. So: stop worrying and just teach him some. You will create a knitter, most likely a happy one and maybe you enable a very devoted designer of awesome patterns and pieces.

Give him a chance to enter the world of knitting.

I am very sorry to see how few kids learn crafts at home anymore. Maybe we can talk to Nintendo? "Wii knit"?

Old 09-12-2010, 06:04 PM   #25
mspwrz
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by hyperactive View Post

I am very sorry to see how few kids learn crafts at home anymore. Maybe we can talk to Nintendo? "Wii knit"?
I am conserned if WII did this that kids might try to wear their virtual sweaters!! Seriously, anything that would teach them to love and benefit from creative persuits.
Old 09-12-2010, 06:12 PM   #26
hyperactive
Working the Gusset

I think the problem lies deeper.
Less people knit, less people introduce their kids to crafts at home. Since they do get all the entertainment they can get outside home or within a screen ... why should anyone worry?

My mother taught me crochet when I was just 3, maybe 3 and a half. Shortly after I learned knitting from my grandmother.

But as the generations go less people learn knitting. That is why I think you should teach any interested person, no matter of what age and make them carry the virus of yarn work. It does spread again and the younger you are when you catch it, the better.

Oh, for teaching that kid: how about you let him in on the secret of online forums about knitting once he has mastered the beginning stages. He will come by patterns and ideas and bring them home.

A hat by the way for a guy.. how about the one by Jared Flood?

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/turn-a-square

that might be a good second project after a plain color hat with a spiralling decrease...

Old 09-22-2010, 12:33 PM   #27
melmac51
Turning the Heel

Sandy, you are so inspirational!!

mspwr, How about fingerless gloves for your student? Caps are good too for oilfield workers. I've been on an oil rig twice, once took a group of interns on a tour of one, and the other time, a co-worker and I went offshore for a tour for ourselves.

Also toured a production platform in the Gulf of Mexico when my DH worked offshore. That time, it was so freezing cold and windy, that my purse stood straight out from my shoulder. Some nice warm accessories would be great!
Old 09-25-2010, 05:33 PM   #28
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,844 Times in 1,908 Posts
Thanks for the encouragement, Melanie!

Today, I took two of my knitting students to visit an alpaca farm that is in our area. They saw several alpaca, and a horse too! They pet the animals, fed the horse, and did their best to keep their shoes clean. (Silly girls...wearing nice shoes to a farm!)

You can see all the photos I took of them HERE.

And yes...these are the same two students I've been talking about from the start of this discussion thread.
Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 02:56 PM   #29
Breezed
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to Breezed
This has been great information as I am just learning how to knit and already my boyfriend's 10 yr old niece is now showing a little interest as well but I was worried she'd get bored too quickly and throw it to the side. I may try some of these things to see if I can help teach both of us while keeping it fun for her.

Breezed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 04:32 PM   #30
hyperactive
Working the Gusset

that looks like a great excursion! Those kids are lucky, I stick with it!