Old 07-28-2010, 02:51 PM   #1
KayA
Casting On

Boye circular needles
Hello All,

I'm new to knitting and I'm fmailiar with basic knitting and have knitted baby booties , scarves .

I'm knitting a diagonal baby blanket now and it needs 123 sts when it gets to the middle. I'm very comfortable in using straight needles but mine don't hold that many stitches so I got myself the boye circular needles.

It was hard to cast stitches or the knit stitch on them because I usually rest the straight needles on my tummy and use it to push the needles. I din't have that grip on the circular ones.

Secondly, The stitches were getting tighter and it was hard to push them from the loop to the needles. Thsi also happens while knitting , it is hard to push the stitches back onto the needle.

Did anyone experience this problem?

I knitted the stitches back on my straight one( from Boye too) and I can work faster.

Do they sell xtra long straight needles enough to cast 100-200 stitches?
KayA is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-28-2010, 03:09 PM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
It could be the Boyes. There are other, smoother circular needles available where the join is more gradual. KnitPicks has some good ones at reasonable prices.

I don't know of any super-long straights. They would get very heavy on the ends, I imagine.

I've heard of people having trouble converting to circs because they prop the needle as you do, but with time you get used to them.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 03:43 PM   #3
KayA
Casting On

Thanks Ingrid,

Is there any other workaround other than circular needles..

Is size 8 on straight ones equivalent to size 8 on ciruclar, It looks thinner to me. would it help If I use size 10 circular ones?
Old 07-28-2010, 03:49 PM   #4
mspwrz
1st Leg of the Journey

Have you tried rubbing waxed paper over the needles? This helps them to slide the stiches more easily and it does not damage the yarn. Circs were hard for me at first but keep practicing. After a while most people prefer them. especially if you have carpal tunnel like me. Good luck either way.
OTH: Hat to match scarf
FO: (C)Scarf for International Swap, 12 chemo hats this month, 2 Oddball blanket sections
ITB-too many UFO's LOL!!!!
mspwrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 05:16 PM   #5
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
8's are 8's. Going up a size will just change the size of your stitches.

Since you're working a diagonal blanket, you'll start to decrease and can go back to your straights.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 05:48 PM   #6
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
You may knit tightly so while the sts are on the needle part the yarn is stretched out a little, then relaxes when the sts move to the cord, so then they're a little tight to get back up on the other needle. Relax a little, don't pull on your yarn after you make a stitch and that should help.

Also, you may need to straighten out the circs so they don't coil up so much, which may help. Dip the cords into very hot water a minute, then hold them out straight as they cool. You may want to do this a couple times, then let them hang a while. After some use the weight of the knitting should let them straighten out a lot.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 11:03 AM   #7
KayA
Casting On

Thanks for all the replies. I bought another pair of circular needles by susan bates. I'll try that out and see if it is easier.

Old 07-30-2010, 10:29 PM   #8
bambi
Working the Gusset

I had the same trouble you did with the Boye circs. Also the cables are not very flexible. I had a needlemaster kit and it just sits in a drawer collecting dust. The Bates ones are better but I finally invested in the Knit Picks nickel options and LOVE them. I never use anything else.

Happy Knitting!

http://www.ravelry.com/people/Bambi-M

I'm Bambi-M on Ravelry
bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 12:18 AM   #9
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
The Boye fixed circs seem to be somewhat more flexible than the Needlemaster cords. I don't do a lot of ML, so they work fine for me.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 08:55 AM   #10
cacunn
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,103 Times in 826 Posts
Bambi if your needle masters are sitting in a drawer there is a group over at Ravelry of Boye lovers and you may find someone who would like to buy you set.

Needlemasters were my first set of interchangeable. I agree the cables are bad, so I started making my own cables with weed trimmer cores. They are much better now.

My preference now is HiyaHiya's because they have a set with 4 inch long needles. They work better with socks and other small items.

cacunn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cacunn For This Useful Post:
bambi (08-01-2010)