Old 08-02-2010, 12:05 AM   #1
Crycket
Working the Gusset

Send a message via Skype™ to Crycket
Tribute to a baby lost...
I have an old highschool friend who had a baby on July 25th, and past away on July 30.

I would like to do something for them, but I am not sure what. Would a blanket with the name and date of the baby seem insensitive?

I was thinking perhaps a photo frame with a cross stitched border that said something like Little Angel....

I am not sure...I don't want it to make them hurt more...but I would think they would like a little something to remember him by....

What do you all think?

Growing old is mandatory, growing UP is optional!
Crycket is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-02-2010, 03:35 AM   #2
hyperactive
Working the Gusset

Don't make a blanket! That is a functional item and that has no function any more. It would be bad enough if they had such a blanket.

The picture frame would be a good idea, I think. They can remember the child with a photo in it and it shows your bonding with the parents. If they are not ready to put a picture up, then your frame will disappear in a box for a while. So be it.

I am very sorry for your friend. That is among the toughest of moments, I think. Losing a child and even one that did not have any chance to take a grab on life at all. Parents have been looking forward to the baby and been bonding with it right off the start. So their loss is very intense.

I have been away from the forum for a bit, but I am still around!
hyperactive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 10:34 AM   #3
Crycket
Working the Gusset

For sure...I do feel for them. It is like another friend of mine had said, everytime they walk by the nursery(which is right next to their bedroom), when they put away stuff from the shower, it is all going to be very tough. Even if and when they try again for another, it will be a nervous pregnancy...

Old 08-02-2010, 11:08 AM   #4
hyperactive
Working the Gusset

Losses are always hard. It does get just a lot tougher when you lose a baby because you have this very intimate relationship to the little one, even before it is born. You alone are responsible and have made everything possible to give the little one a great start. And there were so many options and so many moments promised. You just can't make up for it.

And no, another baby is never the lost one and it would never be fair to assume that it fills a gap in any way. Having another baby is a decision entirely of its own and needs time to even be able to think about.

Maybe give them a little time anyways. It JUST happend. And then surprise them with the frame. That is a beautiful idea.

I have been away from the forum for a bit, but I am still around!
hyperactive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 12:11 PM   #5
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,797 Times in 7,157 Posts
Gosh, I don't know. This is kind of a touchy situation and I'm not sure unless you'd been through it how you'd feel about it. This is a new post so give it a little time. I think maybe we have a few members who have been through this and can shed some light on it.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 02:26 PM   #6
Crycket
Working the Gusset

Thank you! Yeah...I am a bit back logged with projects anyway at the moment. I have a friend getting married in March and am trying to get through some stuff I want to gift her.

I hate just sending a card. I know that is probably the best thing right now, but I have never felt too good about it. My BFFs mother just died, and I knit my BFF a dachshund instead of a card (cause I knew it was something her mom loved). She loved it.

I just would like something a bit more...I dont know...comforting than a card....

Old 08-02-2010, 02:53 PM   #7
N0obKnitter
Working the Gusset

I'm sorry for your friend's loss...
Old 08-02-2010, 10:05 PM   #8
UruzPhoenix
1st Leg of the Journey

I'd call the friend's mother and see what she thinks..... it's hard to lose a little one....

OTN
more socks.... pics of past projects up at my blog.

my knitting blog
HeathenWytch on Ravelry
UruzPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 10:35 PM   #9
Crycket
Working the Gusset

She lives with them...so it will be a while...

Old 08-02-2010, 10:43 PM   #10
sissyv
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by Crycket View Post
I have an old highschool friend who had a baby on July 25th, and past away on July 30.

I would like to do something for them, but I am not sure what. Would a blanket with the name and date of the baby seem insensitive?

I was thinking perhaps a photo frame with a cross stitched border that said something like Little Angel....

I am not sure...I don't want it to make them hurt more...but I would think they would like a little something to remember him by....

What do you all think?
I like the cross stitched idea-[ something like "forever in our hearts " or to that effect but I agree that maybe this isnt quite the right time. Get you other projects done first and when its finished your friend will still have difficult days- and giving her the gift at that time will be comforting. (I think that people sometimes forget that losing someone isnt just difficult at the time but the memories linger and so does the pain- so maybe in a few months- it will be more an "I'm thinking of you and remembering you" type of thing.
sissyv is offline   Reply With Quote