Old 08-10-2010, 10:19 PM   #41
melmac51
Turning the Heel

I just finished "Needles and Pearls" by Gil MacNeil. It's the sequel to "The Beach Street Knitting Society. Both were good books. Before that, it was "Breaking Dawn", by Stephanie Meyers (the final in the "Twilight" series). Enjoyed it thoroughly.

I also like Jodi Picoult's books, and Stephen King, and Dean Koontz.

(As you can see, my tastes are all over the place!)

...and Demonica, I'm with you. I like to hold the actual books in my hands.

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-12-2010, 07:52 PM   #42
linknit41
1st Leg of the Journey

books
One of my favorite authors is Alexander McCall Smith, who writes the #l Ladies' Detective Agency series, as well as 3 or 4 other series. I love them. Right now, am reading the Redwall books by Brian Jacques. They are sort of in the Watership Down vein, the characters are all animals of various sorts. They are actually listed as young adult fiction, but i like them because there is no foul language, which turns me off rather quickly. Language can be so rich, surely "intelligent" people who write can come up with alternatives to profanity. I saw a sign somewhere once that said "profanity is the crutch of the inarticulate." Oh, well, just an old lady's opinion!! linknit41
linknit41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 07:52 PM   #43
Jeremy
Mod Squad

To Heal a Fractured World by Jonathan Sacks, A History of Christianity by Maccullough and Legacy of the Dead by Charles Todd.
The last is a mystery, part of a series. I really like the protagonist (he suffers from shell shock and a man he killed sort of lives in his head and talks to him) and the setting-post WWI England which I also love.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:50 PM   #44
saracidaltendencies
Working the Gusset

Thanked 1,090 Times in 608 Posts
I finished that crappy book I was reading, finally...lol...Waste of time...But now I'm reading "On Writing" by Stephen King. I can't remember which site I was browsing, some author's site, but, that author had a list of recommended reading for writers and "On Writing" was one of them. After finding out more about the book I decided I wanted it...I'm typically not a big fan of Stephen King's work, but I totally respect the guy! Anyway, I LOVE the book so far! I wouldn't really call it an autobiography though it pretty much is...lol...The book is more about what led him to write and what has inspired his stories, stuff like that...I got it mainly for his input on writing, but, I love it also for the story he's telling!

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
- Mahatma Gandhi
saracidaltendencies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 04:58 PM   #45
borealowl
Knitting the Flap

Interesting to find out what others are reading and know about some new books. I get tired of the unnecessary profanity too (showing my age) . There is a lot of it in Sandford's books too, although it does fit with the characters.
borealowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 05:56 PM   #46
N0obKnitter
Working the Gusset

I'm reading my hardcover uber thick Echo in the Bone again...
Old 08-13-2010, 06:42 PM   #47
mspwrz
1st Leg of the Journey

I am reading 'The Friday Night Knitting Club'.
OTH: Hat to match scarf
FO: (C)Scarf for International Swap, 12 chemo hats this month, 2 Oddball blanket sections
ITB-too many UFO's LOL!!!!
mspwrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 07:48 PM   #48
KnitterGirl12
Ribbing the Cuff

Is that a good book for a 12 year old? I have been wondering wether to read that book. It seems interesting.
KnitterGirl12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 09:07 PM   #49
kristaj
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by ShanaHoo View Post
Is it any good? I keep starting the first one, but I'm having trouble getting into it. The books are huge and the series is long and I'm afraid to start to invest myself if it's going to end in disappointment.

Also, I think I accidentally biased myself against liking it already because I've read Gabaldon's blog a few times and I don't really like her very much. The entire time I'm reading it, I'm not thinking about the character, I'm thinking about the author.

This happened to me with The Lovely Bones, unfortunately. I started reading it about a week after the commercials for the movie started running and everytime there'd be a scene in the book with the dad, all I could think about was Mark Walberg's God-awful haircut in the movie It just totally killed it for me, uhgh!

So morally of the story: Outlander- worth it or no?
I love Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series. In fact that is one of the things I have been reading this summer break. I have gone back and started the series from the beginning. It is like I am visiting with old friends. I think though that if you do not like her writing on her blog you may not like her books. Her writing style is similar in both. The stories in her books though are very engaging and addictive. All of her fans are not so patiently waiting for her next book since she left us with 3 cliffhangers in Echo in the Bone.
Old 08-14-2010, 12:45 AM   #50
mspwrz
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by KnitterGirl12 View Post
Is that a good book for a 12 year old? I have been wondering wether to read that book. It seems interesting.
I just started it. Will let you know after I have read more. Have you read any of the Blossom Street series by Debbie Macomber? These are good positive reads. I like this type of book that tells a realistic story about characters living normal lives. They do not have any language or sexual content inappropriate for your age.
OTH: Hat to match scarf
FO: (C)Scarf for International Swap, 12 chemo hats this month, 2 Oddball blanket sections
ITB-too many UFO's LOL!!!!
mspwrz is offline   Reply With Quote