Old 08-17-2010, 03:00 PM   #61
Tegan
Casting On

I'm re-reading a short story by Stephen King right now called the Langoliers... I heard there was a movie at one point but I've never seen it.

Also slowly re-working my way through The Mists of Avalon.

:]
Tegan is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-17-2010, 09:59 PM   #62
Feef
Ribbing the Cuff

I recently finished reading "The Shack", and plan to read many times! Just.plainWOW.

Currently, I'm reading my favorite book of all time, "Helter Skelter" about the Manson murders. If I'm not mistaken, this is my 15th time LOL. No, I'm not obsessive, I'm not! I'm NOT!

Feef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:14 AM   #63
dawn1838
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by Feef View Post
I recently finished reading "The Shack", and plan to read many times! Just.plainWOW.

Currently, I'm reading my favorite book of all time, "Helter Skelter" about the Manson murders. If I'm not mistaken, this is my 15th time LOL. No, I'm not obsessive, I'm not! I'm NOT!

I read the Shack and loved it too. Rooms by James L Rubart is very similar. I bet you would like it too.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:32 AM   #64
saracidaltendencies
Working the Gusset

Thanked 1,090 Times in 608 Posts

AW! Thank you for bringing that up! I was reading Helter Skelter in high school then we had a house fire and lost everything, book included, and I had forgotten about it over the years...I have to add that to my "To Read" list...lol

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
- Mahatma Gandhi
saracidaltendencies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 01:25 PM   #65
Feef
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by Demonica View Post
AW! Thank you for bringing that up! I was reading Helter Skelter in high school then we had a house fire and lost everything, book included, and I had forgotten about it over the years...I have to add that to my "To Read" list...lol

It's not the murders that occurred that fascinate me, it's how Vincent Bugliosi put together a case like that, with the little shreds of evidence. And, it's one of those books that when I read it again, I ALWAYS discover something new.

I think I was an investigator in a previous life or something LOL

Feef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 07:55 PM   #66
ShanaHoo
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by KnitterGirl12 View Post
Is that a good book for a 12 year old? I have been wondering wether to read that book. It seems interesting.
I thought The Friday Night Knitting Club was a good book, but it's kind of heavy. If you are a mature reader it might be alright, I know when I was 12 I usually read things several years above my age range. If you aren't into "Boohoo" books, maybe not.

When I was a pre-teen, my FAVORITE FAVORITE books were The Song of the Lionness Quartet and The Immortals Quartet by Tamora Peirce. Fantasy with young female heroines. I still read her books today. She knows exactly what to give young adults.

Originally Posted by kristaj View Post
I love Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series. In fact that is one of the things I have been reading this summer break. I have gone back and started the series from the beginning. It is like I am visiting with old friends. I think though that if you do not like her writing on her blog you may not like her books. Her writing style is similar in both. The stories in her books though are very engaging and addictive. All of her fans are not so patiently waiting for her next book since she left us with 3 cliffhangers in Echo in the Bone.
I think I'm going to take a break from it for a while and try to come back. I feel like I should really like it, I just have to get over that initial hump and get into it. I think one of the draws for me is that there are so many books out in the series already. I HATE reading a book in two days and then having to wait a year for another one to come out.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:14 PM   #67
Puddinpop
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to Puddinpop
They dramatize these books so much. I guess it took place in the South, also.
Old 08-22-2010, 12:12 PM   #68
Jeremy
Mod Squad

It's not the murders that occurred that fascinate me, it's how Vincent Bugliosi put together a case like that, with the little shreds of evidence. And, it's one of those books that when I read it again, I ALWAYS discover something new.

I think I was an investigator in a previous life or something LOL
He was the prosecutor. His other books are excellent too. I love his method. Legal pad after legal pad filled with questions; questions for every contingency. He works for weeks on his cross examination.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:04 AM   #69
N0obKnitter
Working the Gusset

I'm an absurdly fast reader and it takes me way longer than 2 days to devour a Gabaldon book lol...that's another reason why I like that series - lottssaaa pages. :D