Old 08-09-2010, 09:25 PM   #1
kmaclean
Turning the Heel

FO: No Scratch Newborn Mittens
A few weeks ago I finished a newborn hoodie using Knit Picks Shine Sport yarn in "River". I have quite a bit of yarn left over, so I decided to make up a pair of these No Scratch Baby Mittens to go with it.

They were super fast and easy to knit up. The ribbing seems a little bit long, but I guess that will help them stay on better. I think I might make another pair or two, maybe in slightly larger sizes for as the baby grows. I was thinking I might try connecting the next pair with I-Cord as well so that they don't get lost if they fall off!
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	No Scratch Mittens - Shine Sport "River".JPG
Views:	107
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	54730  Click image for larger version

Name:	No Scratch Mittens 2 - Shine Sport "River".JPG
Views:	72
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	54731  
kmaclean is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-09-2010, 11:22 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
Cute! I wouldn't use i-cord on anything with for a baby. Too easy to get tangled in and possibly be a choking hazard.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 09:19 AM   #3
kmaclean
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
I wouldn't use i-cord on anything with for a baby. Too easy to get tangled in and possibly be a choking hazard.
Hmmm I hadn't thought about that (I don't have children of my own yet, lol). Is there some sort of similar solution that I haven't thought of? Or would it be best to just leave them as is?
Old 08-10-2010, 10:34 AM   #4
margz3
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by kmaclean View Post
Hmmm I hadn't thought about that (I don't have children of my own yet, lol). Is there some sort of similar solution that I haven't thought of? Or would it be best to just leave them as is?
Very nice! You could use some kind of clip to keep them together.

OTN

socks (still!)
dishcloths
baby afghans
HAP items

margz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 11:21 AM   #5
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
You mean while they are on the baby? I can't think of a solution really that wouldn't involve something the baby can get into his mouth. Babies chew everything.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 12:16 PM   #6
kmaclean
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
You mean while they are on the baby? I can't think of a solution really that wouldn't involve something the baby can get into his mouth. Babies chew everything.
Yeah I suppose that is true! They're super quick to make and don't use much yarn, so maybe I'll just make a few pairs and not worry about it if they get lost. Thanks!
Old 08-10-2010, 12:40 PM   #7
robynbird
Turning the Heel

Very cute - do you have a pattern?

Mom to Missy & Zach & Baby Girl due in December
Wife to Gene

robynbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 12:57 PM   #8
Lana
Turning the Heel

Those are really cute!
Especially nice for outside when the temps are cool.

I never used mitts on my babies to keep them from scratching themselves, just kept their finger nails cut short.

There are a lot of safety concerns with babies' and kids' clothing. Manufactures no long put ties in hoods because of strangulation hazard.

I never put ties through beading rows of the bonnets or infant sweaters as in older knitting patterns.
Ribbon ties can be a huge concern, if not sewed on very securely.
My 2nd baby sucked about 4" of ribbon down her throat before I saw it. I had doubled sewed it to the bonnet, but the experience was still very scary.

I use adjustable button bands, or I make crocheted ties that are part of the neck band itself.
Old 08-10-2010, 02:34 PM   #9
kmaclean
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by robynbird View Post
Very cute - do you have a pattern?
The pattern I used is available for free here. I think that there might be a minor error in the pattern in terms of the stitch counts given at the end of each round ... I ended up with two less stitches than indicated after the first increase round. I may have just made a mistake, but even if it is an error in the pattern it's very easy to fix ... I just did an extra increase round to get the indicated number of stitches before starting the decreases.
Old 08-10-2010, 03:14 PM   #10
OffJumpsJack
Working the Gusset

Just an Idea or Two
Yeah I suppose that is true! They're super quick to make and don't use much yarn, so maybe I'll just make a few pairs and not worry about it if they get lost. Thanks!

How about a loop or button hole on the mitten cuff and the button tightly secured inside the sleeve cuff?

Would that be enough to keep the baby from getting to the button?

Turn the cuff of the sleeve inside out before dressing the baby to avoid fingers catching on the buttons.

Another idea is for a band of buttons for the diaper bag to keep all those extra mittens organized and handy inside the bag. The ribbon or strap can be clipped in or sewn to the diaper bag and the unused mittens can be buttoned to the ribbon/strap and easily found.

Just a though or two. If the ideas works safely then please remember where you got them.

as Off-Jumps-Jack

OTN another Black & gold Diagonal Square Potholder
OTH Baby blanket
OTH Lace doily - A vintage pattern recreating from an heirloom.

Last edited by OffJumpsJack : 08-10-2010 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Title change & wording
OffJumpsJack is offline   Reply With Quote