Old 08-13-2010, 07:01 AM   #1
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,891 Times in 3,012 Posts
Droid X
I visited the Verizon store this week and tried the new DROID X phone. I logged onto both Ravelry and Knitting Help...and the phone works with both sites. Yay! I was able to respond to messages, type posts, etc. My current phone (the Samsung Saga) only works with Ravelry, not KH.

I'll be upgrading to the DROID X soon! (but what an awful name, blech! too close to the word 'roids'! what genius came up with the name "droid"?)

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-13-2010, 12:57 PM   #2
N0obKnitter
Working the Gusset

I think it's a derivative of "android"
Old 08-14-2010, 11:08 AM   #3
Ronda
Instepping Out

Send a message via MSN to Ronda Send a message via Yahoo to Ronda
I have a Droid Eris, and I really don't like it. Too many problems. It acts just like my PC! I've heard the newer Android phones are better, though. I am not thrilled with the idea of being stuck with this phone for 2 years.
Old 08-14-2010, 03:44 PM   #4
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

I've put the Droid X in my shopping cart twice now, and just can't bring myself to the "check out"! I've read good things about it, but you MUST purchase an extra battery for it, cuz it drinks up the juice like mad! If you are away from a power source, you'll have a dead phone on your hands. There is an extended battery in 'accessories' that wasn't there on Monday...so I'm guessing Verizon and Motorola will be making more improvements as time passes. That's kinda what I'm waiting to see. Also, the Flash 10 hasn't been released for it either.

Artlady at Rav
Old 08-14-2010, 11:15 PM   #5
letah75
Working the Gusset

I have an X and LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it. The battery is actually pretty good. If you get a free task killer it helps with the battery life. Most smart phones eat battery, but the X is actually one of the better smartphones for battery.

I do sooooo much on this phone. There are some nice knitting apps for Droid too.

"Shared pain is lessened; shared joy, increased thus do we refute entropy." - Spider Robinson
letah75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 12:51 AM   #6
etoilechaude
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by ArtLady1981 View Post
I've read good things about it, but you MUST purchase an extra battery for it, cuz it drinks up the juice like mad!
To be honest, ALL smartphones are going to drain batteries like crazy. My partner and I ordered extra batteries for our Droids and we also got docking stations that charge the phone and battery at the same time. We ordered from Amazon and saved a ton of $$$ (if you want I can look up what we ordered....)

I recently read an article about smartphones and battery usage and it really made sense... basically, they inproved phones to do amazing things, but they didn't improve batteries, so you have to change your charging schedule. I also ordered some extra USB cords and universal USB chargers from another company (also WAY WAY WAY cheaper than Verizon etc) and I plug my phone in every chance I get.

I used to run out of battery by mid-day, but now that I know what I "need" to have running and kill things that aren't going to be used, I only have to charge it overnight. Not quite as cool as only charging my LG phone every 4 days, but I get a LOT more use out of my Droid!!!!!

Hope that helps :o)

(BTW my extra battery has only been used one since I got it... )

EvanP on Ravelry (Hey that's rhymes!)

Last edited by etoilechaude : 08-15-2010 at 12:53 AM. Reason: spelling and the usual whatnot
etoilechaude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 05:55 PM   #7
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Based upon your feedback, letah75 & etoilechaude, I just submitted my order for the new Droid X! Thanks so much for your help!

I'm very excited to get my hands on a smartphone that will work with both KH and Ravelry. They are the only two knitting forums that I participate in, or even look at, for that matter! I think the Droid X will even work more efficiently with Ravelry than my current smartphone (the Samsung Saga). And up til Droid X, my Samsung Saga doesn't cooperate with KH at all. I'm dead in the water.

I did purchase an "extended battery", so I will have two. I purchased two additional wall chargers for pure convenience, and of course, a car charger. Thanks Evan, for the heads up about saving money on accessories for the Droid X on Amazon. I'll take a look over there for additional accessories. I got what I considered the bare minimum when I ordered the phone.

I'm hoping that websites like Flickr will be displayed more accurately, too! At the moment, I don't have a Facebook page. Had to tank it due to hacking issues. But I hope to re-enter the Facebook World sometime in the future. I have A LOT of family on Facebook, and at the moment, they are using Facebook to have drama, and I certainly don't miss or need drama. Had enough of it just raisin' my own 5 kids.

One of my daughters (who also tanked her Facebook page last year) said: "Facebook reminds me of a huge social event where everyone has stayed too long and drank too much alcohol."

Kind of humorous, but kinda true.

Artlady at Rav
Old 08-17-2010, 10:23 PM   #8
lelvsdgs
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by N0obKnitter View Post
I think it's a derivative of "android"
Totally off topic but I just spent a few minutes trying to get the little "bug" off my screen! Awesome!!!

http://www.frappr.com/knittinghelp

Knitting is saving my sanity

OTN: Hats, hats and soon, socks!

FO:Hats-about 6 of them and a scarf for a coworker
lelvsdgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 03:57 PM   #9
Michaele
Ribbing the Cuff

I think the iPhone is better than the Droid.

Hahaha, just kidding. Both phones are pretty cool.
Michaele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 10:46 PM   #10
OffJumpsJack
Working the Gusset

ILM
Originally Posted by ArtLady1981 View Post
I'll be upgrading to the DROID X soon! (but what an awful name, blech! too close to the word 'roids'! what genius came up with the name "droid"?)

as in Industrial Light and Magic the special effects company created by George Lucas and based at Skywalker Ranch. He made Luke Skywalker a space hero and most of us know his two 'droid' companions C-3PO and R2-D2.

Feel the power of the force.

Come to the dark side, we have cookies.

as Off-Jumps-Jack

OTN another Black & gold Diagonal Square Potholder
OTH Baby blanket
OTH Lace doily - A vintage pattern recreating from an heirloom.
OffJumpsJack is offline   Reply With Quote