Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2010, 11:39 AM   #1
jlsRhea
Casting On
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 6
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How to complete this part of a pattern??
hi
i am new to knitting and have recently attempted a bird mobile. i have managed to complete most of the pattern but am stuck on the last part. the last part of the pattern i completed was cast off, purling 2 sts tog at beg of row at same time. break yarn. i now need to

with k side facing rejoin yarn k2 to k to end. i have no idea how to rejoin the yarn becasue it says no where about how many sts to start with and is rejoining meaning casting on i am really confused so if anyone can explain this to me in anyway it would really help as i cant move on till i done this part

thankyou
jlsRhea is offline   Reply With Quote

 

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-21-2010, 12:20 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Moderator
Mod Squad
 
Jan in CA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Southern CA
Posts: 37,188
Thanks: 1,656
Thanked 8,751 Times in 7,121 Posts
Do you have a pattern name and/or link?

To rejoin yarn just start knitting with it. You can weave the ends in later.
__________________
Jan

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 12:25 PM   #3
jlsRhea
Casting On
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 6
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
Do you have a pattern name and/or link?

To rejoin yarn just start knitting with it. You can weave the ends in later.
well the pattern i am knitting is in a book called the craft stall, i have looked for the same pattern online and cannot find it how do i just start knitting this is the main part i do not understand??

thankyou for your help but is there any way you can explain to me how to just start knitting i know it may seem like a simple question

thanks
jlsRhea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 01:10 AM   #4
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe
 
MerigoldinWA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 5,143
Thanks: 1,177
Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,737 Posts
jlsRhea,

Welcome to knitting and to the forum. We are not getting a very clear idea of where you are in this pattern and what you have just done, and what they want you to do now. You can't quote a whole pattern, but if it is divided up into sections, for instance, if you are working on the body, or head, you could give the portion you are working on in whole so we can understand better.

Join, or rejoin, usually means to just take up the yarn you are working with after it has been cut from what you did last and begin knitting on some live stitches somewhere that are already on the needle. But it kind of sounds like you bound off all the stitches and have none on the needle right now. If that is so you would not just "join" but need to pick up some stitches to work with, but it doesn't say that, so it is a bit puzzling. Rejoin should not mean cast on any new stitches, but start knitting somewhere on some available live stitches (stitches already on a needle, or held somewhere as stitch loops that can be put back on a needle to be knit) by just taking the yarn in hand however you knit and begin knitting.

If you quote your pattern, do it very carefully so we get the right idea. If you have a scanner you could scan a portion and put it on as a picture.
__________________
MerigoldinWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 03:23 PM   #5
jlsRhea
Casting On
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 6
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MerigoldinWA View Post
jlsRhea,

Welcome to knitting and to the forum. We are not getting a very clear idea of where you are in this pattern and what you have just done, and what they want you to do now. You can't quote a whole pattern, but if it is divided up into sections, for instance, if you are working on the body, or head, you could give the portion you are working on in whole so we can understand better.

Join, or rejoin, usually means to just take up the yarn you are working with after it has been cut from what you did last and begin knitting on some live stitches somewhere that are already on the needle. But it kind of sounds like you bound off all the stitches and have none on the needle right now. If that is so you would not just "join" but need to pick up some stitches to work with, but it doesn't say that, so it is a bit puzzling. Rejoin should not mean cast on any new stitches, but start knitting somewhere on some available live stitches (stitches already on a needle, or held somewhere as stitch loops that can be put back on a needle to be knit) by just taking the yarn in hand however you knit and begin knitting.

If you quote your pattern, do it very carefully so we get the right idea. If you have a scanner you could scan a portion and put it on as a picture.
ok this is the part of the pattern i have just completed

LEFT SIDE
with colour of choice cast on 8sts
FIRST ROW-inc in first and last st
NEXT ROW-P
TO SHAPE TAIL
Rep the last 2 rows until there are 24 sts (ending on a P row)**
Mark the begining of the last row, this will help with beak placement later on.
NEXT ROW- inc in first st, k10, k2 tog, turn and work on these sts only for now
NEXT ROW-Cast off 4 sts, slipping the first st, P to end
NEXT ROW- inc in first st, K to last 2 sts, k2 tog
NEXT ROW-cast off , purling 2 sts tog at beg of row at the same time, Break Yarn.

This is the stage i have reached and this is the next section of the pattern

TO SHAPE HEAD
With K side Facing, rejoin yarn, K2 tog, K to end
NEXT ROW- P to last 2 sts, P2 tog
NEXT ROW- K2 tog, K to end
Cast off purling last 2 sts tog at same time


on the first line of to shape head i am unsure of how many sts i am supposed to have, i currently have cast off the whole first part of the pattern so have no sts on the needle. i also dont know how to rejoin the yarn and it confises me when it says knit to end becasue i haveno current stiches there is no end. I may have worded this a bit confusing and thanks for all your help so far if you need any information from me please let me know
jlsRhea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 06:24 PM   #6
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe
 
MerigoldinWA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 5,143
Thanks: 1,177
Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,737 Posts
Well, part of the problem is that you should still have stitches on the needle at this point.

I tried out a little sample starting with 24 stitches so that I would be at this point in the pattern:

Quote:
TO SHAPE TAIL
Rep the last 2 rows until there are 24 sts (ending on a P row)**
Then I worked the next 4 rows to see what was going on.

After they tell you to place some sort of marker at that point for the beak placement later, then you have this:

Quote:
NEXT ROW- inc in first st, k10, k2 tog, turn and work on these sts only for now
This row has you work over 13 stitches, 1 that you inc into, the k10 and the 2 you k tog=13. When you finish you will have 13 new stitches on the right needle, but notice that it tells you that the next things you do are only on those 13 stitches. You are supposed to turn (like you were at the end of the row) right there near the middle of your 24 stitches and work back the other way over those 13 sts. The rest of the 11 sts just stay on the needle, but ignore them for now.
Quote:
NEXT ROW-Cast off 4 sts, slipping the first st, P to end
On those 13 stitches do what it said here. This was a little weird to me, but I think you are supposed to cast off the first 4 stitches, then slip the next stitch and purl to the end. Now you have 9 sts.

Quote:
NEXT ROW- inc in first st, K to last 2 sts, k2 tog
Then you turn and work this row over those 9 stitches. So inc 1, knit to the last 2 (one of them will be that sl st you did after the cast off on the last row), and knit them tog. You will still have 9 after this row.

Quote:
NEXT ROW-cast off , purling 2 sts tog at beg of row at the same time, Break Yarn
Then turn one more time and purl the first 2 sts tog, then bind off all the sts in purl. Cut your yarn there and finish up that last st like you would if you were all done. (You are for that part)

Now for that next part you are going to return to the 11 stitches that you left unworked when you started working across only the 13 stitches. Put the needle with those 11 sts on it in your left hand and turn the piece so the knit side is up.

Quote:
TO SHAPE HEAD
With K side Facing, rejoin yarn, K2 tog, K to end
Put the needle with those 11 sts on it in your left hand and turn the piece so the knit side is up. Move the stitches up near the business end of the needle (I think if you are using straight needles that you will need to slide all the stitches to the other needle, to get them where they need to be. If that is the case, slip them purl wise to the new needle. If you are using a circular needle [or dpn] slip them to the end they need to be at.) Take the yarn end going to your skein where you just cut it off and hold it as you would to begin a row. Start knitting, by knitting the first 2 sts together. Then knit to the end of the row. Now you'll 10 sts.

Quote:
NEXT ROW- P to last 2 sts, P2 tog
This leaves you with 9sts.
Quote:
NEXT ROW- K2 tog, K to end
Now you have 8sts.

Quote:
Cast off purling last 2 sts tog at same time
__________________
MerigoldinWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 10:17 AM   #7
jlsRhea
Casting On
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 6
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MerigoldinWA View Post
Well, part of the problem is that you should still have stitches on the needle at this point.

I tried out a little sample starting with 24 stitches so that I would be at this point in the pattern:

Then I worked the next 4 rows to see what was going on.

After they tell you to place some sort of marker at that point for the beak placement later, then you have this:

This row has you work over 13 stitches, 1 that you inc into, the k10 and the 2 you k tog=13. When you finish you will have 13 new stitches on the right needle, but notice that it tells you that the next things you do are only on those 13 stitches. You are supposed to turn (like you were at the end of the row) right there near the middle of your 24 stitches and work back the other way over those 13 sts. The rest of the 11 sts just stay on the needle, but ignore them for now.
On those 13 stitches do what it said here. This was a little weird to me, but I think you are supposed to cast off the first 4 stitches, then slip the next stitch and purl to the end. Now you have 9 sts.

Then you turn and work this row over those 9 stitches. So inc 1, knit to the last 2 (one of them will be that sl st you did after the cast off on the last row), and knit them tog. You will still have 9 after this row.

Then turn one more time and purl the first 2 sts tog, then bind off all the sts in purl. Cut your yarn there and finish up that last st like you would if you were all done. (You are for that part)

Now for that next part you are going to return to the 11 stitches that you left unworked when you started working across only the 13 stitches. Put the needle with those 11 sts on it in your left hand and turn the piece so the knit side is up.


Put the needle with those 11 sts on it in your left hand and turn the piece so the knit side is up. Move the stitches up near the business end of the needle (I think if you are using straight needles that you will need to slide all the stitches to the other needle, to get them where they need to be. If that is the case, slip them purl wise to the new needle. If you are using a circular needle [or dpn] slip them to the end they need to be at.) Take the yarn end going to your skein where you just cut it off and hold it as you would to begin a row. Start knitting, by knitting the first 2 sts together. Then knit to the end of the row. Now you'll 10 sts.

This leaves you with 9sts.
Now you have 8sts.
ok thankyou very much i will try this now
jlsRhea is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Knit cuff/bracelet: why is it that sometimes, the top part ends up tighter than the bottom part, thus not fitting around my wrist? (see Youtube video) GabrielleCaramelle How-to Questions 26 08-14-2012 01:05 AM
Flowers Scarf - Complete Pattern ZoeS Crochet! 6 01-08-2011 10:39 AM
Please help with this part of my pattern! VioletStorm How-to Questions 1 01-18-2010 12:53 AM
K0 P0 in the very first part of pattern. . . 3monstermama How-to Questions 2 12-08-2009 06:52 PM
Complete pattern frustration gatorjade Pattern Central 3 02-10-2008 11:04 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:07 AM.