Old 08-30-2010, 05:04 PM   #11
Crycket
Working the Gusset

Send a message via Skype™ to Crycket
Originally Posted by SheWolfDanielle View Post
I have a set of Boye interchangeable needles.

I've heard that some people complain about them, but I don't see why. I love mine.

They come pretty cheap on sites like Ebay and Amazon, I think.
For me...it is about the paint wearing off of them. Every pair of Boyes I have used have ended up feeling like you are knitting on rusty nails!

And I do agree with the cord issue. A little stiff!

Growing old is mandatory, growing UP is optional!
Crycket is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-30-2010, 05:57 PM   #12
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Yeah the finish wears off on mine but they're still smooth, not rough and don't snag the yarn.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 06:03 PM   #13
mspwrz
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
Yeah the finish wears off on mine but they're still smooth, not rough and don't snag the yarn.
I consider the finish wearing off a sign they are well used and well loved!
OTH: Hat to match scarf
FO: (C)Scarf for International Swap, 12 chemo hats this month, 2 Oddball blanket sections
ITB-too many UFO's LOL!!!!
mspwrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 06:30 PM   #14
hyperactive
Working the Gusset

it seems like amazon saves the world, these days... I can get the knitpros there even from here in Germany. And the price for the deluxe set is not so bad...
now I think, I will want to get the metal tips.
and I think, I will - eventually - need a set of the crochet hooks... I can not get tunesian needles with cable here, as I find out... so that would be another great advantage for that set.

I have been away from the forum for a bit, but I am still around!
hyperactive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 06:42 PM   #15
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Interesting, the knitpros are made in Germany (or through a distributor in Germany) and there's several online shops that sell them.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 03:55 AM   #16
hyperactive
Working the Gusset

Interesting, the knitpros are made in Germany (or through a distributor in Germany) and there's several online shops that sell them.
prove: I live in the relative countryside... I have not seen them in any of my shops. But then I will go and investigate that.
My husband is planning a birthday gift for October now, so I have time to find out what I want / need / could wish for.

Old 08-31-2010, 11:56 AM   #17
Crycket
Working the Gusset

Send a message via Skype™ to Crycket
It isn't so much the finish being scratched that bothers me...and no...it doesn't snag the yarn...but the nails on a chalk board feel when they rub together while knitting..*cringe*

Growing old is mandatory, growing UP is optional!
Crycket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 12:20 PM   #18
hyperactive
Working the Gusset

I did investigate some.... the distributor / inventor of Knitpro seems to be German and Swiss companies.

German forums are partially disregarding them as "import product" because they seem to be made in India and elsewhere. I do not mind the produticion place at all. But the talks go in ways of "no good quality and so on"...

so, well.... I might buy them anyways since you all mostly seem fond of them. well.... now my husband has a great idea for a gift and I am hanging here in mid air and want to buy them right now... that is pretty mean!

I think I want the metal tips. The rosewood is not SO much my thing on the crochet hook I have... bamboo I might like a lot... (but did not find it there)

well, I know how this adventure ends: first you get the set, and then later, you buy single sizes, and then you take another material and yet another... in the end you have all of all... but good tools are half the craft so I go ahead!

Old 08-31-2010, 01:54 PM   #19
SheWolfDanielle
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
It's the cable/cord. If you've never used anything else you won't know the difference, but if you try the Options/Harmonies or Addis you'll see what we mean. It's a world of difference!
Hm. I'd heard people that fussed about yarn snagging on the places where they connect to the needle. Is that what you mean? I haven't had that problem. Then again, I have the hand strength to get them screwed together nice and snug.

I've tried several just plain 'ol one-piece circulars. None of the others I've tried seems any better or worse. Then again, I've never been the type to want the really high quality tools for anything. My philosophy is one of "does it fail to work consistently? Am I afraid I'll break it because it's flimsy or cheap? Does something about it actually impede me doin' what I'm doin'? No? Great!"

But that's just me, and I'm far from a professional. I can see how someone with more fine-tuned knitting might want more fine-tuned tools.

Oh, and my Boye set was a gift. I am NOT looking a gift horse in the mouth!
SheWolfDanielle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 02:41 PM   #20
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,779 Times in 7,145 Posts
Danielle, I'm not saying you should change anything if you're happy with what you've got. If you are happy with them then that's all that matters.

I've used Boye, Denise, Addi and Options so I'm just commenting from my own experience and that of many other people which you know about because you commented on it. What I've heard most is people complaining about is the thickness and inflexibility of the cable. I felt the same way about the Denise cable. After I used Addi and then the Options with their thin flexible cables there was no turning back for me. No needles are perfect so we knit with what works for us.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote