Old 08-27-2010, 05:42 AM   #1
Rosey2376
Ribbing the Cuff

YARN HELP
I want to start building up a stash of yarn. What I really want is a wool/acrylic blend that comes in lots of nice, plain, colours.

Something that'll be around for a while, so I can add to my stash over time and knit things with a mix of colours in the same yarn.

Does anyone know of one? I started googling, but got bored quick.
Rosey2376 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-27-2010, 08:48 AM   #2
cftwo
Working the Gusset

Encore Worsted http://www.yarndex.com/yarn.cfm?yarn_id=333 or Lion Brand Wool Ease http://www.yarndex.com/yarn.cfm?yarn_id=3057 would both fit your needs.
cftwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 09:06 AM   #3
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Paton's yarns are sold in the UK and I think they have a blend that's available there.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 10:49 AM   #4
Rosey2376
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by cftwo View Post
Encore Worsted http://www.yarndex.com/yarn.cfm?yarn_id=333 or Lion Brand Wool Ease http://www.yarndex.com/yarn.cfm?yarn_id=3057 would both fit your needs.
Thanks for showing me Yarndex.

I have come to the conclusion that I should adjust my expectations. Even the manufacturers who make large colour ranges just dont do it for me. Its like looking at a set of 12 markers when what you really want is the set of 56 !

I'll have to build up my stash from lots of different sources I think.
Old 08-27-2010, 11:04 AM   #5
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Yes, no one yarn line will have all you like, you need to look at several manufacturers. And it's probably no good us recommending yarns that are only available in the US. Hopefully someone else from the UK will be able to help you.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 11:15 AM   #6
Rosey2376
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
Yes, no one yarn line will have all you like, you need to look at several manufacturers. And it's probably no good us recommending yarns that are only available in the US. Hopefully someone else from the UK will be able to help you.
Well, I have a Mother-in-law in the US, so all is not lost. If companies wont send to the UK, I send to her and she ships it on !
Old 08-27-2010, 11:28 AM   #7
cftwo
Working the Gusset

Building up a stash can be fun. I will buy a sweater's worth (1500 yards to be safe) of yarn I like (particularly if I find it on sale!) and put it away until I find the perfect pattern for it. I recently bought some Filatura di Crosa Tempo yarn, and I think it will end up sitting a while until I find the right pattern.
cftwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 01:03 PM   #8
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,781 Times in 7,145 Posts
Generally stash is something that's built up gradually, but if you want to lay in a small amount just to have..you know to fondle and look at... go for it! Yarndex is good, but the yarn sites themselves often have better color swatches. No guarantees anything will be around forever, but as long as it's a basic like the Encore it should be around for quite awhile.

Plymouth Encore - various weights
http://www.plymouthyarn.com/index.ph...arn.yarnSearch

Berroco Vintage - also comes in chunky
http://www.berroco.com/shade_cards/vintage_sh.html

Universal Classic -other weights as well I think
http://www.universalyarn.com/quality...php?quality=15

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 10:55 AM   #9
Rosey2376
Ribbing the Cuff

Thanks Jan,

I like those ones. Good strong plain colours, just what a good stash needs ! Have bookmarked 'em.
Old 08-28-2010, 08:09 PM   #10
Lisa R.
Turning the Heel

I don't know how long you've been knitting, but I have just a small word of warning. (Maybe it will be helpful to someone else, if it doesn't apply to you).

When I started knitting, it seemed wise to build up a little stash so I didn't have t run to the store every time I wanted to knit something, and because everyone seemed to have stash.

So I started buying a couple of skeins of this or that when I went to Michael's or JoAnn (two craft stores here). I had built up quite a bit (by my standards!) and was gradually learning to knit better, and learning new techniques and all. Suddenly, I reached a point where I needed more of a certain color than I'd bought, and it wasn't available. Or I wanted to knit a certain project, but it called for a yarn I didn't have. So, I started looking for projects for the yarn I did have....and often couldn't find anything appropriate.

Ultimately, I was left with a fairly hefty stash of stuff I really didn't like any more, or a bunch of different colors, but not enough of any one color or matching colors to do a larger project. (By choosing the same line and weight, you might eliminate much of that problem!).

While I was building for the long term, in the end, I needed change long before I ran out of "stash."

If you know what you knit, and don't anticipate too much change, no problem stocking up on a lot of very similar yarn. But if you're not sure what you'll be doing in 5 years, you might want to consider quantities and variety as you go.

I'm Knittermom9 on Ravelry
Lisa R. is offline   Reply With Quote