Old 08-27-2010, 08:34 PM   #1
kaallen
Ribbing the Cuff

"work twice into each yarn over"
I'm trying to knit a sweater from Debbie Bliss Donegal Tweed Page 27. I can't get past the 4th row!
The pattern says:
K4, P4, work twice into yarn over, P4, [K6, P4, work twice into yarn over, P4] to last 4 sts, K4.
The notes say:
To work twice into each yarn over, purl into back of yarn over and slip yarn over off left needle, lift strand of yarn over with left needle and purl into front of it and slip strand off left needle.
I found a video in the Glossary section of this website that demonstrates how to purl into the back of a yarn over.
However, I can't figure out how to do the rest.
Can someone tell me if there is another video that will show me this entire stitch from start to finish? Or, tell me how to do it? I don't understand the book's directions at all!
kaallen is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-27-2010, 10:11 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
I think basically you purl into the back leg of the first loop of the double YO and then purl into the front leg of the 2nd loop. Though maybe their method leaves a smaller hole.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 09:49 AM   #3
kaallen
Ribbing the Cuff

question for Suzeeq
Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
I think basically you purl into the back leg of the first loop of the double YO and then purl into the front leg of the 2nd loop. Though maybe their method leaves a smaller hole.
Suzeeq,

What is a double YO? It makes a hole??
Old 08-28-2010, 10:12 AM   #4
suzeeq
Knit On!

A double YO is when you YO twice which I mistakenly thought was in this pattern. I misread, it just says work twice into YO so I guess you just have a single one on R3. But you're still to do 2 sts into it, purl into the back leg (ptbl) then knit into the front leg. That will make an increase and close up the hole.

Old 08-28-2010, 11:30 PM   #5
kaallen
Ribbing the Cuff

I learned how to to the stitch
Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
A double YO is when you YO twice which I mistakenly thought was in this pattern. I misread, it just says work twice into YO so I guess you just have a single one on R3. But you're still to do 2 sts into it, purl into the back leg (ptbl) then knit into the front leg. That will make an increase and close up the hole.
The woman who owns the yarn store where I bought the pattern book and yarn taught me the stitch. You pearl into the back of the yarn over (just like they show in the video on this website). The yarn is now on the right needle. Then you pick up the front strand of the yarn over with the left needle and purl it with the right needle. It does make a small hole.
Old 08-29-2010, 08:26 AM   #6
suzeeq
Knit On!

I think that would also be called a purl back and front, opposite of a purl front and back.