Old 08-31-2010, 11:44 AM   #1
gardenmom
Casting On

I'm blocked on Blocking
I've just finished my husbands birthday sweater and I have never blocked before. How do I do it and how much shaping should I try to accomplish? PS...this is my very first time on this sight. I'm so glad your here.
gardenmom is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-31-2010, 01:02 PM   #2
nicoleheather
1st Leg of the Journey

Welcome!!

The way you'll want to block the sweater depends a lot on the type of fiber you used. For example, if it is 100% acryllic or cotton, just giving it a good wash in a washing machine will do fine. If it is a wool or wool blend, what I usually do is to soak it in some warm water (and a little soap or wool wash if you want) for about 15-20 minutes, then squeeze out all the excess water (you can roll it in a towel and step on it to get it all out, but don't wring or twist). Then I lay it out flat on a surface like a padded carpet, or blocking mats like these if you have them. As for shaping, just shape it to where everything is nice and straight and the measurements are correct by patting it into place; then pin it in a couple of places to allow it to really hold the shape while it dries. Also, keep in mind that if the sweater has ribbing, like at the sleeves or hem, don't pin out the ribbing. Leave it to where it stays pulled in from the rest of the sweater so it'll stay stretchy.

And that's about it! Just leave it to dry for a while (probably a couple of days), and it'll be ready to go! Let me know if you have any questions.

Enjoy!
Nicole : >

FOs-
Queen Silvia Shawl from Knitted Lace of Estonia
Something Red
Ingenue

WIPs-
Ivy Wrap Sweater
Celtic Pullover
Leyburn Socks

I'm nicoleheather on Ravelry, too!

Last edited by nicoleheather : 08-31-2010 at 05:07 PM.
nicoleheather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 01:09 PM   #3
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
Yep, depends on what fiber. Here's some links that might help.

http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter02/FEATdiyknitter.html

I've always tossed acrylic in the washer and dryer, but some things may benefit from blocking if you do it right.
http://beadknitter.blogspot.com/2009...k-acrylic.html

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 03:25 PM   #4
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,737 Posts
Here is some information about blocking I like. LINK I don't always pin. Sometimes you can get by with just laying the item out and smoothing it with your hands. It depends what you want/need to accomplish.

A basic blocking even with acrylic doesn't hurt a thing and even out stitches a bit and make it look more finished.