Old 09-06-2010, 11:38 AM   #11
hyperactive
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
Don't freak out, remember everything is knit one stitch and one row at a time, so even the most complicated seeming project can be simplified. We're here to help you out.

I have been away from the forum for a bit, but I am still around!
hyperactive is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-06-2010, 12:53 PM   #12
pbs
1st Leg of the Journey

Thank you both so very much. My pattern starts with the back rectangle--1" ribbing, then stockinette for 11", so there's no striping at that point. I'm not sure if I mentioned it before, but the pattern doesn't use the striping, but the person who made it striped hers with a 2-row alternating stripe. I've been told there are much easier patterns than this one that uses multiple pieces--such as a one-piece pattern, but I don't know how to find a good one that uses stripes. I have a wonderful LYS here (not the one that "designed" the pattern) and I think they'll help me figure out what to do after completing my rectangle back. I've got a couple of things to do this morning but want to finish my swatch by 2:00 so I can actually start on my piece after that. Hope you'll be available to "interpret" the swatch. Do I still need to swatch with the original needle and the larger needle?
pbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 12:59 PM   #13
pbs
1st Leg of the Journey

I just re-read the posts and saw that I do need to swatch with both needles. Sorry--can you tell I'm getting nervous over this? Miss Perfection here wants it to be right and I'm WAY out of my league. Hyper, I had already thought of using the team logo somewhere on the jacket--the pattern uses a zipper and I thought the logo from a keychain would make a really cute zipper pull. Great minds think alike
Old 09-06-2010, 01:26 PM   #14
hyperactive
Working the Gusset

a zipper pull like that was my thought (I did not know about your zipper, though). so, yup, we think alike.

the stripes are really no problem. Just read my post about it when you get to the stripes.

you only swap one yarn for the other. period. Everything else you do by pattern.

don't worry, you will figure it out. I will check in later and see if you need further help. My spongebob project will be in my hands anyways :D (See "what'cha knitting"). So I will be allert.

PS: I would like to know when your 2pm is :D where are you from? I live in Germany so it definitely is a different time zone, but that does not say all that much for someone with English as mother tongue... I guess somewhere between the coasts is a good bet. :D The further west it is the later in my night.

Old 09-06-2010, 02:15 PM   #15
pbs
1st Leg of the Journey

I'm in Birmingham, Alabama and it's now 1:13 p.m. Monday afternoon here. My mother-in-law is German--she met my father-in-law during WWII. My husband was born in Hanau (?) Germany and came to the US when he was 7 months old because it took that long to get them over here. My husband has never been back and knows nothing of Germany except what my MIL has told him and he has seen in movies. He has 5 siblings who were born here in the US--none of them speak or know German. Small world, huh.
So what time is it there now?
Old 09-06-2010, 02:41 PM   #16
hyperactive
Working the Gusset

hi!
here it is 20:30 (8:30 pm) now. our time zone here is 6 hours ahead of east coast time.

MY husband is American. I met him while I did an intership in Boston almost 8 years ago. We now live in Germany together. The world is even smaller, isn't it?
Well, I like my bilingual life.

your husband should really take a trip here (with you of course). I would want to see the place I was born in. Germany has surely changed a lot since your mother in law left if so long ago and has a different feel altogether.

And Germany is SO beautiful and diverse! If you ever need travel advice for Germany, send me a PM and I will fill you in. And think of all the foreign yarn you can buy

Old 09-06-2010, 03:15 PM   #17
hyperactive
Working the Gusset

a video on how to do the stripes, here:

http://garnstudio.com/lang/en/video....oryid=4&page=4

there are videos for downright everything, so keep the questions coming!

Old 09-07-2010, 07:50 AM   #18
AngelaR
Turning the Heel

I will give you this one word of warning, as I have found out on a recent baby sweater I am doing for Christmas, sometimes you used the proscribed yarn and needles, and the gauge won't be anywhere close to what the pattern suggests. The pattern called for 6 rows per inch, and I got... 9. To me that's a huge difference, so I used nearly half a ball of yarn swatching and could not get it to come out any differently. I even used different types of needles, just to be sure. I have to admit, my kids thought I was crazy, doing little squares on bamboo, acrylic and metal needles.

I've just been very careful to measure often. I also wrote in to the publisher of the pattern to suggest that either they had a typo in the pattern or had suggested the wrong size needles, even though the number of stitches per inch was good.
OTN: Writer's Cardigan
OTN: Hats!
http://www.ravelry.com/people/ARichter
AngelaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:29 AM   #19
hyperactive
Working the Gusset

I hate pattern mistakes. Especially those that lead you to the wrong thing (and not just leave you puzzled).
Buying the yarn for the pattern or vice versa and then not finding it a match really sucks.

you can recalculate the pattern. But that involves some knowledge about the shaping and the pattern it is done in.

btw: the material of the needles is of much lesser importance than the thickness but I guess you tried them in different sizes, too.

And: i always pull my swatches back out and use the yarn. therefore I never even cut it off. I just knit a row or 2 more than I would and measure save underneath the needle. Most yarn will frog fine and I did not lose anything.

and: one last thing: the number of rows is usually of lesser importance to me. Did the pattern say everything in rows? mostly they do give inches or cm. Then only the shaping might happen to rapidly on your yarn (sleeve decrease and so on).

Old 09-07-2010, 12:09 PM   #20
pbs
1st Leg of the Journey

This is beginning to sound like more trouble than it's worth!!!! I just wanted to knit, not do brain surgery..... Hyper, when I did my swatches, the needle it called for gave me about 4-1/2 to >5 and the pattern calls for 4.75, so I'm going with it. Tired of worrying with it and ready to stitch. BTW, I'm having a terrible time (actually impossible) finding the center-pull for my Berrocco Comfort yarn. Any suggestions anyone?