Old 09-07-2010, 12:11 PM   #21
pbs
1st Leg of the Journey

Also is there a difference in the stitch size (or stitches per inch) if you use bamboo or metal? What do most of you normally use?
pbs is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-07-2010, 12:41 PM   #22
hyperactive
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by pbs View Post
This is beginning to sound like more trouble than it's worth!!!! I just wanted to knit, not do brain surgery..... Hyper, when I did my swatches, the needle it called for gave me about 4-1/2 to >5 and the pattern calls for 4.75, so I'm going with it. Tired of worrying with it and ready to stitch. BTW, I'm having a terrible time (actually impossible) finding the center-pull for my Berrocco Comfort yarn. Any suggestions anyone?
go, that gauge is good. just do it.
if you do not find the center pull... is it meant to have one? not all coils do!
and you can always use the outer thread. That is my usual way of working. Just with really big coils or "long" coils (like the footlong things I bought in the US), the centerpull is a real blessing.

the material of the needle does not do anything to your gauge - but you might: if you work tighter or more lose with one type of those needles, then it may be a difference. But that you have to see for yourself.
For me that choice often depends on the yarn I am using - since I have some sizes double - and some work better on wood, some better on metal... I just try it out and go ahead.

I have been away from the forum for a bit, but I am still around!
hyperactive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 01:42 PM   #23
pbs
1st Leg of the Journey

Addi Turbos are wonderful, oh so smooth, and just glide along, but I guess I'm a little more in control with the bamboo. Sometimes the Turbos "get away from me" and I'll drop a stitch that I don't know how to fix. The yarn I'm using is nylon and acrylic (so it will be washable for baby)--which kind of needle do you recommend?
Old 09-07-2010, 04:28 PM   #24
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Sounds like you're close enough on the gauge. Finding the center strand alone is nearly impossible, so just poke in a finger and hook some yarn and pull out a bunch. You're going to knit it up in just a little bit anyway.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 05:40 PM   #25
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Quote:
Also is there a difference in the stitch size (or stitches per inch) if you use bamboo or metal? What do most of you normally use?
It can vary by knitter, some get a tighter gauge on bamboo, some get a tighter one on metal. It seems I get just a bit larger gauge with the Clover bamboos, but I think they're just a touch larger than others and metal ones. So I use them when I want just a skosh larger stitch, but not enough to jump up another size.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 07:07 AM   #26
pbs
1st Leg of the Journey

Great input--I'll give that a try. I've always thought my stitches on bamboo looked a little bigger, but now I'll give it the test. Thanks!!!
Old 09-08-2010, 08:45 AM   #27
hyperactive
Working the Gusset

All good to know. But don't get over-testing, keep knitting and be happy about knowing where to look for remedies when you need them

I have been away from the forum for a bit, but I am still around!
hyperactive is offline   Reply With Quote