Old 10-04-2010, 06:25 AM   #21
NorthernIrelandKnitter
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by hyperactive View Post
Hi!

I live in Hamm, that is near Dortmund and Münster at the east edge of Ruhr Valley. Maybe you have been anywhere near here? I yet have to visit Ireland. I have been to England (a few times) and Scotland but that is not the same, I know.
Well, I hadn't heard of Hamm, but when I looked it up on Google Maps I found a few familiar place names. On my first trip to Germany I stayed in Obernhof an der Lahn - or should that be am Lahn. The second time round I was in Heiligenkirchen in der Nahe von Detmold. I was doing a summer placement in a children's home there as part of my university course. There was an outdoor swimming pool in Bielefeld which we took the kids to most days. There was a path to it through a wood, so it was a pleasant walk. You could also walk to Detmold by the same path.

Pity I wasn't doing much knitting at the time and didn't think to take it with me - I could have done it during my off-duty hours! Maybe even taught the kids!

Looking forward to seeing pictures of the scarf!

Gillian
NorthernIrelandKnitter is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 01-16-2011, 04:14 PM   #22
klymyshyn
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by ArtLady1981 View Post
Keep up your efforts! You'll make it! You always do!

BTW, how does one 'knit in the round' on 2 straight needles????
The most common, convenient way to knit in the round on 2 straight needles (Tubular Double Knitting):
Cast on 1/2 of the total number of sts (as in one side of a tube scarf) - place these sts in the left hand as F (front sts now)
With the working yarn and the right needle held BEHIND the left needle: *co B (1 back st), slip F - across the needle
These 2 needle passes make the cast on foundation for an open tube. You will now knit the B and slip the F in 2 needle passes for each complete round. This makes a Reverse Stockinette Stitch pattern. You may complete the tube and turn it inside out for a RS Stockinette Stitch pattern.
I like to call this "flatfold" to distinguish it from double think double knitting. The work will have a fold at each end of the needle.

I'm KlemKnitter on Ravelry.
klymyshyn is offline   Reply With Quote