Old 09-06-2010, 07:49 PM   #1
Arvonar
Casting On

Question about casting on mid-project
Hey fellow knitters,
I have a question about casting on mid project. I know how to do it, I usually do the knit cast on, but my pattern isn't making sense to me after that step. Can anyone make heads or tails of this:

Next Row (RS) Cast on 12 sts, pm, k to end. Rep last row once more.

I'm fine until 'k to end' ... aren't I already AT the end after I cast on the additional 12 stitches?

This is the slippers pattern in Knit Simple Winter 2009/10. Thanks!

Last edited by Arvonar : 09-06-2010 at 09:09 PM.
Arvonar is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-06-2010, 10:02 PM   #2
boyforpele13
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to boyforpele13 Send a message via MSN to boyforpele13 Send a message via Yahoo to boyforpele13
I'd have to see more of the pattern, but this sounds like you should have just completed a WS row, have turned and are now working on the RS row, CO the 12 sts, then K to the end of that RS row.

Share Your Life With a Deaf Dog!

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. - Marianne Williamson
boyforpele13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 10:46 PM   #3
Arvonar
Casting On

Yep, you're right. I completed a WS before this step. I tried what you're saying, and it kind of looks like what I'm supposed to be doing, but I guess I'm confused about the pm... if I place it after cast on, they'll just end up on the ends. Maybe I'm supposed to mark after I cast on the additional 12 and knit back down to the original work indicating a separation between the new stuff and the old stuff... at least that's what the picture of the final project kind of looks like.

more of the pattern:

I made the toe, then ended on a WS row (16 stitches are on)

Instep:
Next row (RS) Cast on 12 sts, pm, k to end, Rep last row once more - 40 sts. Next row YO, k to 2 sts before next marker, SKP, slip marker, k to end. Rep last row 7 times more...
Old 09-06-2010, 10:49 PM   #4
Arvonar
Casting On

Here's what I'm making. The part I'm on is where the underside of the toe becomes the bottom/sides of the slipper.

Old 09-06-2010, 10:57 PM   #5
boyforpele13
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to boyforpele13 Send a message via MSN to boyforpele13 Send a message via Yahoo to boyforpele13
I'm having a hard time "seeing" where you're at even with the picture, but that's my problem, I have a hard time with that without seeing whole patterns/construction.

It sounds like the marker is just being placed to denote the decreases. Is this section of the casting on the 12 stitches the "flaps" that are tasseled together to make up the instep? If that's the case, then I would think you'd have to cast on the 12 stitches on both sides? (But again, that's without me looking at the construction) It does say 'rep last round once more" but I'm not sure if that's referring to the RS or WS row.

ETA: if the casting on sts is indeed those "flaps" i think the decreases should stay just in those newly cast-on stitches by the marker, it's to shape the flap, so you do want to be working that just in the new stuff.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. - Marianne Williamson
Old 09-06-2010, 11:22 PM   #6
Arvonar
Casting On

Yep, it's the "flaps" that I'm working on. What I did: co 12 additional sts, then k back down them, pm, then k to end of original work, completing the rs row. This made 28 sts. Then I co 12 sts on the other side, k back down those, pm, then knit the rest of the ws row for a total of 40 sts, effectively forming a "T"

The pattern continues with decreases/increases to make the "big piece", and ends when I get to the desired length. The slipper is only two pieces, the big piece (which is the bottom and "flaps"), and the teeny little top piece that covers the toes. It's worked from the toes to the heel.
Old 09-06-2010, 11:26 PM   #7
boyforpele13
Turning the Heel

ah, gotcha! sounds like you've got it down! they're cute!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to boyforpele13 For This Useful Post:
Arvonar (09-06-2010)
Old 09-06-2010, 11:35 PM   #8
Arvonar
Casting On

I think so. I'll let you know.

They are cute, huh?! I'm using some of my huge stash of holiday yarn that I just knew I'd find something great to do with!
Old 09-06-2010, 11:38 PM   #9
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Quote:
I guess I'm confused about the pm... if I place it after cast on, they'll just end up on the ends.
They left out this part in italics - "(RS) Cast on 12 sts, knit those stitches, pm, k to end. Rep last row once more."

They want you to put the marker between the new sts and the olde ones.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 11:44 PM   #10
Arvonar
Casting On

Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
They left out this part in italics - "(RS) Cast on 12 sts, knit those stitches, pm, k to end. Rep last row once more."

They want you to put the marker between the new sts and the olde ones.
Exactly! I thought so too, which is where my confusion came in to play. It is ultimately what I ended up doing, after much face scrunching and head scratching!

OTN:
Fisherman's Cardigan
Holiday Slippers
Fall Throw (crochet)
Various other things in perpetual states of abandonment