Old 09-28-2007, 08:42 AM   #1
Liz.mx
Casting On

Anyone from Montréal or Rive-Sud Montréal ?
Hi, here's the thing... I'm new to the area, I'm mexican, I have been knitting since I was 19, that makes it 6 years, and just got here a month and a half ago.

I came here with my daughter and my boyfriend (he's quebecois, so you are wright if you think this is kind of a love story).

I live in Beloeil, a pretty pretty place, and ocassionally I go to Montreal as it is really close... but you know, when you do such radical changes it's not always so great as you expected it. Everything is so different, culture, people, places, FOOD!!!, and most of all I'm still struggling with my french.

Still haven't met people, other than my boyfriend's family and friends... but I want to make my own friend, you know?

The only thing I do that keeps me going is knitting and crocheting, but I would LOOOOVE to find other people to talk to and that could tell me where to go, if there are any groups that I could go to, and basically all the stuff that happens in the knitting world around here.

volunteers?
Liz.mx is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-28-2007, 10:15 AM   #2
iza
Turning the Heel

Hola Liz! Como estas?

Beloeil is a lovely place! My parents live in Sainte-Julie, which is very close. I live in Montreal, in the Petite Patrie neighborhood, near little Italy. There's a wonderful yarn store on Saint-Hubert (http://www.effiloche.com/Bienvenue.html), near the Beaubien metro station, and I think they still have gatherings on Friday evenings. You should check it out! I think there are also people gathering around the Notre-Dame-de-Grace area. I can get more details about it if you want.

On the south shore, I know there is a yarn store in Saint-Lambert that looks pretty neat, but I've never been there.

Yo hablo espanol un poquito, pero no puedo practicar mucho... I'm struggling with my Spanish a lot so I can understand!

If you want more informations, just ask and I'll try to find more for you!
Old 09-28-2007, 04:56 PM   #3
Liz.mx
Casting On

Thanks a lot! When I go to Montréal for sure I will go to Effiloche and check it out.

And I would love if you come accross some news to remember I'm here.

Hope to keep in touch
Old 09-28-2007, 04:57 PM   #4
Liz.mx
Casting On

Thanks a lot! When I go to Montréal for sure I will go to Effiloche and check it out.

And I would love if you come accross some news to remember I'm here.

Hope to keep in touch

And also: good spanish!!! loved it
Old 10-27-2007, 11:11 AM   #5
color2queen
Casting On

knitting in Montreal
Welcome to the area.
I recently went back to my knitting after twenty years. I go to a store on Notre Dame called Mouline. The owners are great and Svetlana is really helpful.
There is also a store in Point Claire at the Pt. Claire shoppping center St. Jean blvd and hwy 20. They are also helpful and have a less expensive line of wool as compared to Mouline.
Have fun.
color2queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 01:49 AM   #6
kayjay
Casting On

South shore too
Hi, I am also looking for some one to learn with that can speak English. I am an Anglophone and while the shop owners are very helpful, my french is not that good. I have only started knitting since January 2008. I live neat the border in Lacolle
kayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 10:16 AM   #7
iza
Turning the Heel

Hi Kayjay!

You can definitely be served in English in most yarn stores in Montreal (Effiloche, Mouline and Ariadne for instance). I know some also offer knitting lessons in English. There is also a knitting group who meet in a coffee shop in Montreal, and many of the knitters are anglophones. You can join their yahoo group: http://ca.groups.yahoo.com/group/montrealknits/ to know when/where they meet.

On the south shore, I know there is a yarn shop in Saint-Lambert (laines saute-mouton), but I've never been there. I heard very good things about the store. I encourage you to either drop by, or call the store and ask questions. Most yarn store owners are very nice and friendly people, and are happy to answer any question you would have.
Old 11-20-2010, 07:44 PM   #8
cambanks
Casting On

HELP KNITTING IN MONTREAL
Hi everyone-

My car was just stolen on Jeanne-Mance and essentially my whole winter wardrobe was inside it. Among the things that I lost was a wool sweater that I've worn on every cold day for the past 5 years. I'm not sure if this is possible, but is there any possible way that I can pay someone to knit me some fabric from the yarn below?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

I can make clothing so it would only have to be sheets of fabric. I'm not sure what people charge for this kind of thing, but I'd be happy to pay like 200-300 dollars for 4 sweaters worth of fabric.

cam

quackapillar@yahoo.com
cambanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 10:27 PM   #9
psychoswim
Casting On

Hi!

I'm new here and to knitting, but I'm also on the south shore in Old Longueuil, close to the Jacques-Cartier bridge. I visited Effiloche last week and it's indeed a very nice shop. And the one in St-Lambert (Les Laines Saute-Mouton) is much smaller but seems to have a decent stock even if I don't know enough to know at first glance. The lady working there seemed very nice and knowledgeable
psychoswim is offline   Reply With Quote