Old 09-13-2010, 03:08 PM   #1
JaneDivided
Ribbing the Cuff

Interchangeable Suggestions
Hi everyone,

After a trip to my LYS this afternoon left me frustrated at their lack of needle stock, I am seriously considering adding interchangeable needles to my Christmas List this year.

I'm willing to consider the Addi Turbo Click, but most recently I've also discovered that I love the Hiya Hiya needles. As someone who is relatively new to the idea of interchangeable needles, I was hoping people might be able to offer some suggestions of what to look for. I would say that I'm probably an intermediate knitter. Although in the past I would have primarily knit mittens, gloves, and scarves, I've recently been branching out into some lace work, socks, sweaters, and other random projects. Ideally I'd like a set that will allow me to find a variety of lengths and standard sizes. I'm hoping to grow with whatever set I purchase. I like the feel of the Addi Turbos and Addi Lace very much, although I love the cord of the Hiya Hiya needles. It would seem that Hiya Hiya does not come in a lace needle like the Addis do? I most recently found that left me at a disadvantage when trying to knit a shawl that had some pretty detailed work to it.

So for those who have used Addi Turbos and Addi Lace, would you say that the Addi Click feels comparable? If I were to purchase the Addi Turbo Click needles, would I be able to use the same cords for the Addi Lace Click needles or would I have to purchase two separate sets? Thanks so much for any help!

Kelly
JaneDivided is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-14-2010, 06:16 AM   #2
etoilechaude
Knitting the Flap

I've used the clicks, turbo and lace... and I have to say, my Knitpicks interchangeables (and fixed) are by FAR my favorite needles.

I like slick needles and flexi cords and... I don't like to spend a fortune You mentioned that you want to grow with your set... and while KP doesn't have the 16" interchangeables, everything esle is amazing to 'grow' with. Plus the smaller cord-ed fixed needles are so super inexpensive.

HTH!

EvanP on Ravelry (Hey that's rhymes!)
etoilechaude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 09:34 AM   #3
knittingincarolina
Ribbing the Cuff

I have KP's Harmony and Nickle interchangeable sets and I like the pointiness of the tips, the feel of the needles and the flexiblilty of the cables.

Maybe you could start out with a few tips and cables to see which ones work better for you.
knittingincarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 09:40 AM   #4
kmaclean
Turning the Heel

I agree with Evan ... I love my KnitPicks Options interchangeable set. You can get all different lengths of cords (which are super flexible) as well as a variety of sizes. And they are very affordable as far as expanding your set in the future.

I haven't really done any lace work though ... perhaps those who have will be able to shed some light on whether the Addi Lace set would be better for that purpose! Many of the people on this site have interchangeable sets (and everyone has a different favorite!) so I'm sure you'll get lots of feedback so that you can weigh the pros and cons of the different choices before you buy
kmaclean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 09:45 AM   #5
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
The knit picks needles are just as sharp at the Addi Lace and far less expensive.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 10:10 AM   #6
bmwmom2002
Ribbing the Cuff

I love my KnitPicks Harmony interchangeable needles.
bmwmom2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 11:01 AM   #7
margz3
Working the Gusset

Another vote for KP Options here!

OTN

socks (still!)
dishcloths
baby afghans
HAP items

margz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 01:29 PM   #8
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,644 Times in 7,046 Posts
KP Options or Harmonies!

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 09:07 PM   #9
cacunn
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,103 Times in 826 Posts
You say that you love the Hiya Hiya needles, there interchangeable are excellent. They have 4 or 5 inch needle heads and can be made into 16 inch circulars. They have a size 2 and 3 needle heads which many interchangeable do not.

The cost is reasonable. My suggestion is to purchase one set of needle heads and a set of cables and try them out.

cacunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 06:48 PM   #10
RuthieinMaryland
Turning the Heel

Location: I live on the Eastern Shore of Maryland - GREAT steamed crab country! :o)
Hi!

KP Nickel plated Options are SO SUPER! I would highly recommend at least getting a set of tips and cable and trying them out before deciding. If you get a size you can foresee needing more than one of, then when you buy the whole set you're covered with your extra "tester". Either way, I think you'll love them! Great needles, cables and great value - along with the world's greatest customer service!

Enjoy!

Ruthie :o)