Old 09-14-2010, 11:33 PM   #1
clhaigle
Casting On

knitting help with sock pattern
Hi! I am relatively new to knitting and I just taught myself to knit with multiple needles/double pointed needles. I am currently working on my first pair of socks- these being yoga socks (i.e. the heel and toes are open) and I am having difficulty understanding the pattern.

Right before I shape the heel, the patterns calls to Knit, inc 8 sts evenly around. 72 sts. and there was of course 64 sts prior to this. My question is...What type of increase method should I use & what does it mean by "evenly around"

Thanks so much!
clhaigle is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-15-2010, 01:42 AM   #2
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,737 Posts
Quote:
Knit, inc 8 sts evenly around. 72 sts. and there was of course 64 sts prior to this. My question is...What type of increase method should I use & what does it mean by "evenly around"
What it means is that you are starting with 64, you are going to knit this round and over the course of the row you are going to increase 8 stitches. Evenly means to distribute the 8 increases over the round so that they are evenly spaced from one another. They don't actually have to be exactly spaced with X number of stitches between them, but give it some thought based on the type of inc you choose to do (some work into a st and some are between stitches), and make them as evenly spaced as you can.

You could use any inc you like the looks of. You might look at the increases in the free video section at the top of the page and try different ones out on a sample piece and decide which one you'd like to use.