Old 09-02-2010, 03:39 PM   #1
KayA
Casting On

After Knitting
I just finished knitting a baby blanket for my cousin. Do I have to wash the blanket before giving it to my cousin?

How do I take care of a freshly knitted blanket?
KayA is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-02-2010, 04:11 PM   #2
cftwo
Working the Gusset

I don't think I've ever washed a baby blanket I was giving away. I use machine washable yarn, and beyond that I figure the new mom has a detergent she would prefer to use. This is unless the freshly knitted blanket is (1) going to a home where someone is allergic to my animals, or (2) somehow got really dirty or had something spill on it in the knitting process.
cftwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 04:25 PM   #3
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,763 Times in 7,131 Posts
I always wash before giving it away. Not only does it clean the project, but it lets you see how it's going to wash. I'd hate to give something away an then find out and end came loose in the wash or it curls something fierce after washing, etc.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Last edited by Jan in CA : 09-02-2010 at 06:11 PM. Reason: spelling
Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 04:52 PM   #4
jess_hawk
Working the Gusset

I would wash it, too, for the reasons Jan listed. Also, I picked up the habit from my mom. She also washes everything we receive before it gets used. If the new mom is concerned by what detergent the baby is exposed too, she will re-wash the item anyway.
You might wash with low levels of detergent, as the amount recommended on the jug is usually exorbitantly high anyways.... and if you use less, you'll leave less residue in the item.
My knitting blog: http://emilai333.wordpress.com/
jess_hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 07:33 PM   #5
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
It's a good idea to wash it, it will even out the stitches as well as clean it. Just use a very small amount of detergent, probably a nonscented would be good.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 03:21 AM   #6
Hilarylambkin
Casting On

Hello, I, too, have recently finished a baby blanket, it was made long enough to cover a single size bed. It took nearly two years to knit and I lost contact with the person who originally asked for it and so I had to wash it before giving it to my daughter-in-law for my soon to be born grandson. Laundering instructions on the yarn label simply said machine wash. It looks beautiful!
Hilarylambkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 08:18 AM   #7
RuthieinMaryland
Turning the Heel

Location: I live on the Eastern Shore of Maryland - GREAT steamed crab country! :o)
Baby Blankets...
Hi, Kay

I just finished two baby projects - a hooded baby wrap and a larger blanket. I've done lots of these over the years and I always wash them before giving them as gifts. After all, a new mom might be pre-occupied enough with other things and skip washing your gift before using it.

I machine wash the acrylics with a half measure (or less) of liquid Ivory Snow in warm water in the machine. If I put it in the dryer I use a delicate setting (heat tends to take the elasticity out of acrylic) but mostly I take the item and stretch it on my blocking table. It's amazing how beautiful the finished project is once washed and blocked.

But at the very least, I'd definitely give the blanket a wash.

Happy Knitting,

Ruthie
Old 09-15-2010, 02:27 PM   #8
bambi
Working the Gusset

I washed my last baby blanket project. I would always wash but make sure you use the yarn instructions and tell the mom how to wash it, too.

http://www.ravelry.com/people/Bambi-M

I'm Bambi-M on Ravelry
bambi is offline   Reply With Quote