Old 09-24-2010, 11:42 AM   #1
KnitterGirl12
Ribbing the Cuff

Most worst project EVER!
What's your worst project ever that you just gave up on because it was SUPER hard? Mine was well, socks, they turned out horrible and they kept unraveling so I turned it back into a ball of yarn. soo embarrassing!
KnitterGirl12 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-24-2010, 12:54 PM   #2
hyperactive
Working the Gusset

this is a funny thread. I will have to think about a project that I would rather forget. I will get back with that.

Socks, though, scare many knitters. But don't give up. They are really easy once you make a pair sufficiently.
Do you know the silver sock tutorial? Or join the sock knitters here. They will help that ball of yarn to fit your feet! You did such a great job on your other projects you showed. Socks won't get you down.

I have been away from the forum for a bit, but I am still around!
hyperactive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 12:57 PM   #3
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,796 Times in 7,157 Posts
Try the socks another time when they aren't irritating you.

Hmm... I've frogged a bunch of things. I'm not sure anything was too hard, but I got bored or it required too much focus. I tend to like projects that go quickly and don't require too much attention..

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 01:37 PM   #4
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,845 Times in 1,909 Posts
Gosh, I had this happen a LOT of times when I was first learning to knit. It was CRAZY!

So, I had to resolve myself to very simple projects for a while. Whenever I would get confused, I would come here in the Knitting Help Forum to ask for help. The answers the forum members posted got me through.

Sometimes, I would look online to see if I could figure it out. There are some GREAT knitting videos here in Knitting Help, and on YouTube as well. I also took one knitting class on how to fix mistakes. (That class helped me a LOT, because I learned how to undo the things I did wrong, without having to frog the entire project.)

And I got some knitting dictionaries and easy pattern books to help me learn too.

Eventually, I got better and better at knitting, and was able to dive into the more complicated designs.

Now, after seven years of trial and error, I'm happy with my knitting skills.

So, don't give up! Hang in there! It will start to make more sense as you try different things.
Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 05:49 PM   #5
snelly
Casting On

My worst project so far.
I have started a lot of projects and frogged them, but I have to say the the worst one was a simple tote bag It was supposed to be square I worked out the gage correctly but All I had to measure with was a small ruler on a Leathermen tool. needless to say my measurements were all off. and there was no way of putting the uneven sides together. It was after this project that I bought my first measuring tape and I keep it with me all the time just in case I start a project out side my home again. That was one of the first knitting projects I tried.
snelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 06:27 PM   #6
panchita
1st Leg of the Journey

I started a lace shawl on an airplane. It was a perfect place: quiet, no interruptions, a table right in front of me, semi-comfy chair. Unfortunately, I just can't bring myself to knit at a table now, so the lace shawl is still in a bag and has been for over a year. :( Too bad for me.

panchita on Ravelry
panchita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 05:07 PM   #7
KnitterGirl12
Ribbing the Cuff

Wow! Everyone has had a couple of mistakes! I am going to take some of your guy's advice and maybe take a class on knitting socks and maybe fixing mistakes. ( They would probably help! ) Thank you for your advice and memories!
KnitterGirl12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 06:42 PM   #8
hyperactive
Working the Gusset

Oh, I remembered the worst project I made lately... I had a pattern for a very simpel slip stitch pattern. Just a lacey summer shirt to wear over t-shirts and such.

Well, it was done, I put it on - and didn't like it. It made me look wide.
Then I washed and blocked it. It turned about 30 cm / a foot longer, really. The slip stitches let out, I was hoping for that.

I wore it, it looked better. An hour later it was back to the horror-shape.
I did it once more, no change, then tried to give it to my mom (differnet shape). Even worse.
Then I gave it to my aunt who has a really nice taller and slip shape and can wear downright anything to a level of "that's unfair".
Well, she looked only semi-horrible in it. If she will ever wear it, I do not know. If not, she will give it back and I will search a use or trashbag.

The yarn was VERY much on sale, so it is no financial loss or anything. Just a little piece of knitting horror.

Here is a picture:

I have been away from the forum for a bit, but I am still around!
hyperactive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 08:45 AM   #9
sarahandus
Ribbing the Cuff

I started a sweater with cables on one side of the front, now I can do cables just fine. But when I decided to knit the front some how I could never get the sequences correct and eventually gave up and frogged it. But I will give it another try at a later date, as it is such a beautiful sweater, from "Cast On" magazine, November 2008, the Triple Cable sweater.

It took me several tries, years apart to get into socks. Once done it is fairly easy and something I can do from start to finish without any pattern - plain socks naturally.
sarahandus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 01:51 PM   #10
Rosey2376
Ribbing the Cuff

I've never really given up on things because they're too hard, but I do change things a lot if they're too boring. Like adding stripes, or lacy bits, or cables.

I knitted my Dad a pink tie once. Garter stitch. About one inch wide.
Funny how he never wore it !
Rosey2376 is offline   Reply With Quote