Old 09-24-2010, 02:03 PM   #1
hyperactive
Working the Gusset

x-mas prep - what's hot on your needles?
Hi!
As far as you can tell in public:

what are the hot items you are making for x-mas this year?

how much will you make?
who will receive the load in the end?
will you actually get done with your plans? How was last year?

Most knitters will consider giving a selfknit piece to at least someone. Some built warehouses full of gift material. I am just curious what everybody else does.

I am thinking of knitting matching but not identical hats for my parents-in-law, nice warm ones (they live in NH), maybe a cowl or neckwarmer for my own mother, something for my baby niece (no idea yet, maybe a sleeping bag-thingy), something for my godchildren.
I don't know if my brother and his girl friend will like something selfknit. My dad probably will not be so keen on anything (maybe hunting gloves, though, I might try some)
AND everything else for myself.

I have been away from the forum for a bit, but I am still around!
hyperactive is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-24-2010, 03:21 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,762 Times in 7,130 Posts
Well... a couple sweaters for myself are in progress.... but I have the yarn for the scarf I'm going to make my stepdaughter! Not sure what I'm making, if anything, for my other DDs.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 06:57 PM   #3
ShanaHoo
1st Leg of the Journey

Christmas gifts
For my psuedo sister, who is 7 years old, I am making a hat and scarf set. I'd kind of like to do one of the cupcake purses that have been blowing up the "What'cha knittin'?" board, but I'm trying to keep from over loading myself.

For my real sister, who is 19 years old, I am making a hat and scarf (and maybe glove) set. I'm also trying to make her an heirloom-style afghan with 5 RIDICULOUSLY BRIGHT colors she picked out.

For my mother, I am making a scarf. This seems hilarious to me because she lives in FLORIDA, but she's asked me for a scaft at least 5 times.

I also have several projects planned for myself.

I started picking patterns and planning in July, actual knitting in August, so maybe I'll do better than last year? I was knitting a sock at 2am Christmas morning, so I do not think it will be difficult.
Old 09-26-2010, 02:35 PM   #4
Daylilydayzed
Turning the Heel

I am working on string bags for my daughter( she wants to give them to her co workers), then a shawl for my DIL and a pair of mittens for two girls that come through my crossing(I am a school crossing guard for the elementary school behind my house). Then I can start on something for me.
Old 09-27-2010, 03:43 PM   #5
hyperactive
Working the Gusset

Oh, I have to add:
a friend fo mine is a runner. She does half-marathons a lot these days and will do a real marathon next year (or this winter).

She is out running in every weather. So I will make her a hat and probably wrist warmers. I decided to put a runner-pictogram on the hat (like the guy running out of the emergency exit on the sign, you know?) and will have to make a chart.
She is also into the idea of the deathflake, so maybe I will incorporate that in the wrist warmers? you just never know, once people start having thoughts about this kind of thing.

I am happy to know you all have equal amounts on your needles. Makes me feel in good company! Keep those stitches sliding!

Old 09-27-2010, 07:23 PM   #6
MoniDew
Working the Gusset

the answer to your question: too much! way, way, way too much! LOL!

It all started with a simple request of my grandson for a blanket. His sisters each have one, it was his turn. Fair is fair. I got it. Blanket it is!

Then, I thought - those sisters are going to need something OTHER than a blanket for Christmas - what shall I make for them? Sweaters! Yup. They each got a sweater.

Then, I thought - well, the rest of the grandkids need Christmas gifts, and if I'm making gifts for those 3, it's only fair that I make gifts for the other 3 (two different families). So, 3 more sweaters.

Then, I thought - what about all the baby-mommas? They need Christmas gifts. And yeah, now I'm spiraling totally out of control, cuz I started one more sweater and a shawl.

Kill me. Just kill me now...
Old 09-28-2010, 09:50 AM   #7
hyperactive
Working the Gusset

hi!
I am puzzled. I see your picture and I imagine you are about as old as I am, most likely younger. But you have 6 !!!!! grandkids? I do not have a kid even.... am I just erstimating wrong?

Ok, that was OT.

That sounds like the kind of spiral I am not getting into. I will buy / get other presents and do not feel forced to make something for one person just because ... and so on.

On Ravelry I just invited into the "Selfish knitter" group. Real funny.

Just do not make that "serving everybody" a habit. It does get out of controll. This year, next year, any day. And it becomes a demand by someone, not a gift from you.

Old 09-29-2010, 01:06 AM   #8
melmac51
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by MoniDew View Post

It all started with a simple request of my grandson for a blanket. His sisters each have one, it was his turn. Fair is fair. I got it. Blanket it is!

Then, I thought - those sisters are going to need something OTHER than a blanket for Christmas - what shall I make for them? Sweaters! Yup. They each got a sweater.

Then, I thought - well, the rest of the grandkids need Christmas gifts, and if I'm making gifts for those 3, it's only fair that I make gifts for the other 3 (two different families). So, 3 more sweaters.

Then, I thought - what about all the baby-mommas? They need Christmas gifts. And yeah, now I'm spiraling totally out of control, cuz I started one more sweater and a shawl.

Poor Moni! I know how you feel.
MoniDew (10-15-2010)
Old 09-29-2010, 09:25 AM   #9
margz3
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by MoniDew View Post

Hugs Moni - best of luck!!!!!

OTN

socks (still!)
dishcloths
baby afghans
HAP items

margz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to margz3 For This Useful Post:
MoniDew (10-15-2010)
Old 09-29-2010, 11:17 AM   #10
CountryNaturals
Knitting the Flap

I have an afghan for my son, a fashion scarf for my daughter, and another fashion scarf for my granddaughter on the needles right now. I started them all back in January.

I have another fashion scarf ready to start as soon as I finish one. That will go to our son's girlfriend.

I've finished 2 potpourri bags, with one more to go -- for the same 3 women.

I don't have any ideas for our son-in-law. I made him a scarf last year and a hat the year before.

I'm not overwhelmed yet, but I think I need to pick up the pace a little.
CountryNaturals is offline   Reply With Quote