Old 09-27-2010, 08:48 AM   #11
pbs
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by hyperactive View Post
Hi!
I have a stuff sack to hold all my little items and my circular needles. And I have this wonderfull roll-up-pouch, hand made (quilted) by my mother in law, that holds all my dpn in seperate pouches. If need-be that fits into my stuffsack as well.
inside the stuff sack I do have a few mini-zip-locks to hold my stitchmarkers, pointy needles and such.

My project bag contains enough of the yarn I am using to get me through the time I am around with it (like on a trip or when going somewhere). Sometimes I keep the extra yarn in a plastic bag inside so it does not get cought up with the ball I am using.

My project bag is just a type of canvas shopping bag with nice long handles that go over your shoulder easily and with a card-board bottom part that keeps the bag less tight.

At home, I just litter plastic bags and yarn bags (nice, really big canvassy ones I get at my yarn shop when I once again buy too much) around my office and my living room until I need to clean up

This makes it easy to just grab my current project. I can run the yarn out of that canvas bag and do that when I can not place it anywhere else (like mostly in the car or train).

So: I did never really spend money on my bags / containers. I just used what comes in handy.
Do you carry your "stuff bag" with you when you go places, or just the yarn and needles for the project? I tend to carry all my "stuff" everywhere thinking I might need it, then I never do..... but who knows????
pbs is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-27-2010, 08:53 AM   #12
pbs
1st Leg of the Journey

I constantly have the issue: What if I run out of project before I am there? What if? Rather take something else with you. Just to be safe. A sock maybe? or something.... just to be safe. Is that really enough? How much will I knit? How far will I get? Oh, just throw it in...
You sound JUST LIKE ME.... I think you must be my good German friend!!!!!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to pbs For This Useful Post:
hyperactive (09-27-2010)
Old 09-27-2010, 12:37 PM   #13
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,739 Times in 7,111 Posts
I guess it depends on the kind of vacation you are taking. Most of mine involve "doing stuff" that can't involve knitting.. like museums, sightseeing, walking around a city.... I knit in the evening or on breaks so an extra skein or two of yarn is more than enough. Besides, unless you're going to be in the boonies you can probably find a yarn store (road trip!!) so it's not all bad.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 12:47 PM   #14
hyperactive
Working the Gusset

I do carry everything with me on vacation (like my trip to Sweden this summer or the US and family this spring) because I just don't know what yarn I will come by. I love shopping yarn on the road and even took a small folder with patterns I wanted to go yarn hunting for. I was successfull, really.

If I take a daytrip on the train (for work but just stuck in the train, mostly) I take what I need (approx). Lately I wanted to make squares for my blanket, and 2 of them involved cables, 3 over 3. I did not bring a cable needle and there were a lot of cables. Well, I would have had emergency replacements (and if I go and ask the diner car for a straw, you know) but I just braved it and practiced my 3 over 3 without cable needle. They all came out beautiful and I only got myself in trouble once (dropping and not noticing eeeek)

A crochet hook usually goes into my bag (and gets stuck in the ball much too often) just for having a magic wand when you need one.

And, yeah, I can be pretty cought up in my knitting these days. But it does keep me relaxed, calm, more tolerant to long trips, awake, more happy, acomplished, warm, good looking, well dressed, liked for gifts and overall a better person. Which ONE hobby can really do all that (and not say Crochet, right now!)

I have been away from the forum for a bit, but I am still around!
hyperactive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 02:00 PM   #15
Sunshine's Mom
Turning the Heel

I use a little purse that has a zip top for my current project (usually a sock) and I have my WIP with needles, a small crochet hook, my strander (a little gadget that I wear on my left index finger to prevent "yarn rub" - continental knitting), and a small tape measure. I keep the yarn in the bag while I'm knitting. It works like the GoKnit, but it was a free purse that I got many years ago and can squish up and fit in my purse.

The rest of my yarn and needles, etc. are all over the place in my house. Centrally located but not necessarily cataloged or neat. I'm trying to remedy that but I don't stress over it.
Sunshine's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 03:32 PM   #16
pbs
1st Leg of the Journey

And, yeah, I can be pretty cought up in my knitting these days. But it does keep me relaxed, calm, more tolerant to long trips, awake, more happy, acomplished, warm, good looking, well dressed, liked for gifts and overall a better person.
Isn't that the truth!!!!! It's my newly prescribed therapy, but you can see I'm struggling with the little "nothing, doesn't matter" stuff like bags instead of knitting. I'm getting there though.
The Following User Says Thank You to pbs For This Useful Post:
hyperactive (09-28-2010)
Old 09-27-2010, 03:40 PM   #17
pbs
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
I guess it depends on the kind of vacation you are taking. bad.
We're taking our daughter and one-year-old grandson to the beach for a week; unfortunately my SIL is a Marine and can't get leave right now. Ocean waves, lazy river pool, 3 regular pools, hot tub on balcony, knitting, and reading. My daughter and husband will love entertaining Evan on his first beach trip so I can "do my thing" lots of the time. It just doesn't get much better than that.
I'm afraid I won't want to come back to reality.....
Old 09-27-2010, 04:08 PM   #18
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,739 Times in 7,111 Posts
Why does it say "bad" next to the quote of what I said...

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 04:18 PM   #19
pbs
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
Why does it say "bad" next to the quote of what I said...
When I was deleting the part off your post I didn't want to reuse, I think I forgot to delete the word "bad". So sorry--just wasn't paying attention to what I was doing. Can you tell I need a vacation?
Old 09-27-2010, 06:16 PM   #20
pixiepurls
1st Leg of the Journey

For me a project bag holds 1 or two projects (max!) and is very small. A knitting bag will then hold the project bag (or 2) and other tools. I've wound up converting though, I invested in the Spud & Chloe bag that they sold a limited amount of, I bought it to support the company because I love them, and I was sort of shocked by how much I loved it. When I got it I thought "oh its just a big project bag, thats no fun" and now its my most favorite thing on earth. It's that project bag thin cotton/canvas type material, and I pop my interchangable kit into it, a little zippered bag of tools, and the yarn and needles for 1 or two projects (not in their own project bags). My other knitting bags are all sitting under my table, un-used, and I have a few variouse project bags around the house, some with project sin them, and many un-used.

So my new favorite thing is a "large" project bag with just my knitting supplies in it, sort of like half knitting bag, half project bag. I think I just totally took myself to a new knitting nerd level by explaining all that. *blink*
pixiepurls is offline   Reply With Quote