Old 09-27-2010, 10:41 PM   #21
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,765 Times in 7,133 Posts
Originally Posted by pbs View Post
When I was deleting the part off your post I didn't want to reuse, I think I forgot to delete the word "bad". So sorry--just wasn't paying attention to what I was doing. Can you tell I need a vacation?
No problem, I just wondered.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-27-2010, 11:46 PM   #22
pbs
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by pixiepurls View Post
I think I just totally took myself to a new knitting nerd level by explaining all that. *blink*
I love it!!!!!!!
pbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 08:23 AM   #23
hyperactive
Working the Gusset

Quote:
I think I just totally took myself to a new knitting nerd level by explaining all that. *blink*
Oh, I totally loved that, too. Great to know others are so quirky, too. I sometimes feel so unnormal in my everyday life with lots of quer looks for knitting-foolishness. Now I have yet another point in my directory (the biggest leap I made when I read about one girl (here?) that hat about 60 kg of stash in various types. I am so not that bad!)

I have been away from the forum for a bit, but I am still around!
hyperactive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 09:13 AM   #24
mspwrz
1st Leg of the Journey

You guys are alway good for a laugh because we all understand, on some degree or level exactly what you are talking about! I have only been knitting for a couple of years now, and I do not have the time in my schedule right now to devote to mastering advanced techniques. In a couple of years, my time will be more my own. I do however not go many places without at least a small project in tow and I have learned which types of projects to take as well. Keep up the good work all of you. I enjoy reading your posts!
OTH: Hat to match scarf
FO: (C)Scarf for International Swap, 12 chemo hats this month, 2 Oddball blanket sections
ITB-too many UFO's LOL!!!!
mspwrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 11:43 AM   #25
Breezed
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to Breezed
I am still a new knitter but my boyfriend bought me a big LionBrand bag. It's really big and great for holding all my stuff for moving around the house and I do love it. But I have noticed already I needed something smaller to take with me outside of the house for a single WIP and I found an old re-usable shopping bag from Publix and it is really light, thin, and flexible but strong so it's perfect. It just happens to have that little loop that not all re-usables have and I can easily start my yarn through it and just pull from the bag with no tangling! I only use re-usable bags and this is the only one I found that just works perfectly for my take along projects. I'm sure other people know this but I was excited to find it instead of spending more money on less useful bags.

Last edited by Breezed : 10-10-2010 at 11:44 AM. Reason: typo
Breezed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Breezed For This Useful Post:
pbs (10-10-2010)
Old 10-10-2010, 12:59 PM   #26
pbs
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by Breezed View Post
But I have noticed already I needed something smaller to take with me outside of the house for a single WIP
Thanks for the info--the smaller one for taking places is what I'm really looking for. As a new knitter like yourself, I'm trying to get organized, but I get hung up on "cute" instead of "useful".
Old 10-20-2010, 11:06 AM   #27
sakura-panda
Turning the Heel

I use the words "knitting bag" and "project bag" interchangeably; for me, they are the same thing. The project bag is whatever bag has my project in it, and if it happens to be a knitting project, then it is my knitting bag as well.

(Or it is when I'm discussing it here; at home they are all "yarn bags".)

At home I have a Longaberger basket that I keep my knitting in. (Called, of course, my "yarn basket".)

For bags, I have two small project bags that have a drawstring closure and a loop with a snap so that I can secure them to my purse or other bag. In each bag I have put in dedictated scissors and tape measure. The bag either goes into a larger tote, or my basket, depending on where I am working.

I keep my WIP, yarn and pattern in there, until I need a second ball and the project no longer fits in the bag. When it gets to that point, the bag and WIP both move into a larger bag. If it gets too big for the second bag, it stays at home in my basket -- both WIP and bag -- until it is complete.

I suppose that doesn't really answer your questions, since I bought the little pouch bags specifically because they were cute but I have found they work very well for keeping everything I need for on-the-go knitting together, easy to find, and portable.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 12:05 PM   #28
pbs
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by sakura-panda View Post
I suppose that doesn't really answer your questions, since I bought the little pouch bags specifically because they were cute but I have found they work very well for keeping everything I need for on-the-go knitting together, easy to find, and portable.
That like so totally answered my question! The bags are precious--where did you find them?
Old 10-21-2010, 12:11 AM   #29
sakura-panda
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by pbs View Post
That like so totally answered my question! The bags are precious--where did you find them?

I bought them on etsy, from Come to Silver.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 04:54 PM   #30
knitcindy
Turning the Heel

My project bags aren't the most glamorous, but they work for me. I stick each WIP in a 2-gallon size Hefty ziplock bag, along with the appropriate pattern, pencil and my Knit Kit.

Then I keep all my WIP bags together in a bigger bag that sits on the livingroom floor, near the couch. Once a project grows too big for the ziplock bag, then I stick it in some other totebag of mine. I collect totebags so I've always got LOTS to choose from!
knitcindy
knitcindy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to knitcindy For This Useful Post:
pbs (10-23-2010)