Old 09-30-2010, 03:15 PM   #1
music0622
Casting On

Beginner completely confused.
Okay just to give some basic background information that might be helpful. I'm only 18 & a freshmen in college. I am trying to learn how to knit. I have knitted once before about 2 or so years ago & stopped for some reason & don't really remember anything about it. I recently had this urge to start knitting again. I have some books on how to knit but I'm confused because of my learning disability. First question is are you supposed to wrap the yarn into a ball?
music0622 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-30-2010, 03:23 PM   #2
AIR
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via MSN to AIR
Hi!

I believe that depens on the yarn. Is your yarn in a ball now or is it screwed?
AIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 03:27 PM   #3
music0622
Casting On

I didn't understand your question sorry.
Old 09-30-2010, 03:32 PM   #4
AIR
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via MSN to AIR
You do not need to make it a ball. I never did with yarn like this. But you'll be punished by moderators for posting images not links or thumbnails here
AIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 03:45 PM   #5
music0622
Casting On

How do you do the slip knot?
Old 09-30-2010, 03:51 PM   #6
Lisa R.
Turning the Heel

If you look at the videos on this site, you'll probably find most of your questions answered. I spent hours here when I was first learning to knit.

If you've bought a "hank" or a "skein" of yarn that is simply in a big loop and twisted into itself, then yes, you'll need to wind it into a ball---otherwise it will tangle very easily.

If you've bought a ball or skein that is already wound, you can knit straight from it. (Places like Michael's and JoAnn sell skeins you can knit directly from...a local yarn shop (LYS) may sell more expensive yarn that needs winding.

I'm Knittermom9 on Ravelry
Lisa R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 04:21 PM   #7
cftwo
Working the Gusset

First of all, be patient with yourself. It will come. Take a look at different ways things are taught - your books, the videos here, and maybe a live person at a yarn store near you. Or maybe one of the people in your residence hall knows how to knit and can help you. Try different ways of learning until you find the one that works the best with your learning differences.

Yarn comes in hanks (big huge circles of yarn twisted so they're in a neat little package) and skeins (sometimes they're flat like flying saucers and sometimes they're long and skinny cylinders). You usually don't have to rewind the skeins into balls, but it can be helpful to wind the hanks into balls. Remember not to wind too tightly - your ball should be squishy. (Winding tightly isn't terrible, but it can stretch out your yarn.)

How to make a slip knot - I'll try to put it into words, but check the videos, too:

1) holding the tail of the yarn in your left hand, make a small circle in the yarn. It will look something like this

(end of yarn is here) _O-- (ball is over here)

The ball end of the yarn should be the top layer of your circle.

2) Take the ball end of the yarn and wrap it under the O you just made so it looks like you're dividing the O in half. The ball end of your yarn should be at the bottom of your O now.

3) With your knitting needle, pick up the bit of yarn that is dividing your O in half and, holding onto both the end of the yarn and the ball, pull it into a loop on your needle. Tighten it so it's snug, but not so snug you can't move it up and down the needle.

The videos here teach this a little bit differently, but this is the way my mom taught me a million years ago. So there are at least 2 ways to do this right!

Good luck!
cftwo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cftwo For This Useful Post:
music0622 (09-30-2010)
Old 09-30-2010, 04:23 PM   #8
music0622
Casting On

Originally Posted by cftwo View Post
First of all, be patient with yourself. It will come. Take a look at different ways things are taught - your books, the videos here, and maybe a live person at a yarn store near you. Or maybe one of the people in your residence hall knows how to knit and can help you. Try different ways of learning until you find the one that works the best with your learning differences.

Yarn comes in hanks (big huge circles of yarn twisted so they're in a neat little package) and skeins (sometimes they're flat like flying saucers and sometimes they're long and skinny cylinders). You usually don't have to rewind the skeins into balls, but it can be helpful to wind the hanks into balls. Remember not to wind too tightly - your ball should be squishy. (Winding tightly isn't terrible, but it can stretch out your yarn.)

How to make a slip knot - I'll try to put it into words, but check the videos, too:

1) holding the tail of the yarn in your left hand, make a small circle in the yarn. It will look something like this

(end of yarn is here) _O-- (ball is over here)

The ball end of the yarn should be the top layer of your circle.

2) Take the ball end of the yarn and wrap it under the O you just made so it looks like you're dividing the O in half. The ball end of your yarn should be at the bottom of your O now.

3) With your knitting needle, pick up the bit of yarn that is dividing your O in half and, holding onto both the end of the yarn and the ball, pull it into a loop on your needle. Tighten it so it's snug, but not so snug you can't move it up and down the needle.

The videos here teach this a little bit differently, but this is the way my mom taught me a million years ago. So there are at least 2 ways to do this right!

Good luck!
I did it thanks!! So then I have to cast off next right? How many casts do I make for a scarf?
Old 09-30-2010, 06:18 PM   #9
hyperactive
Working the Gusset

Hi!
I can only recommend the video-section. There is even a video to demonstrate "a small project" from cast on (creating of stitches), through the knitting (knit and purl stitches), to cast off (that is when you end your work and get it off the needles).

Of course no one ever makes such a small straight piece, really. But it walks you through the steps in one video from beginning to end.

Just take it easy. Knitting and learning how to knit can not be forced. By time it will all come together.

If you have a chance to take a class with an acutal teacher, try it out! Yarn shops sometimes have these classes or at least know where there will be some. Community centers or chruches might have that, too.

Have fun with this hobby. It is calling you, obviously.

I have been away from the forum for a bit, but I am still around!
hyperactive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 08:26 PM   #10
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,750 Times in 7,120 Posts
I think AIR meant hank. When the yarn is twisted rather than a skein it's called a hank. You have to wind those to knit with them.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote