Old 02-08-2008, 06:25 PM   #1
heather_dw
1st Leg of the Journey

Knitting two socks at a time?
I saw this book on Knitpicks called "2 at a time socks" I want to get it, but I have no idea what kind of needles it asks for. I hate getting a book home and then not having the needles.

Does anyone have this book?

see second post too, lol
-House Scarf in Hufflepuff (hibernation)
*Add me on ravelry, username heatherdw

Last edited by heather_dw : 02-08-2008 at 07:09 PM.
heather_dw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to heather_dw For This Useful Post:
RuthieinMaryland (10-10-2010)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-08-2008, 07:07 PM   #2
heather_dw
1st Leg of the Journey

Actually, I really just want to learn to make two socks at once, it doesn't have to be this specific book. Anyone have suggestions for me?
-House Scarf in Hufflepuff (hibernation)
*Add me on ravelry, username heatherdw
heather_dw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 07:09 PM   #3
alleusion
Turning the Heel

Try thistutorial by Silver. While I'm not making 2 at once, I refer to it often for some of the little techniques she has in there.

...I can't have too many projects, I still have empty needles...

alleusion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alleusion For This Useful Post:
luvmykid28 (10-15-2010), RuthieinMaryland (10-10-2010)
Old 02-08-2008, 07:32 PM   #4
Mystery_Gyrl
Turning the Heel

That particular sock knitting book just came out in December, so it is a relatively "new" book. If you would like to see some reviews about it check out amazon.com It has received 6 reviews that might be helpful to you.

If you want to learn the technique right now you can check-out Silvers sock tutorial as recommended by alleusion or the one at this web site also http://www.socknitters.com/2circs/index.htm
Good luck.
Katrina

Miss Marple: It helps me to concentrate, milord.

Judge: It does not help me, madame.

Miss Marple: Oh. Very well. (puts away knitting)

Judge: Thank you, Madame.

The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne.
~ Geoffrey Chaucer - The Parliament of Fowls Line 1.
Mystery_Gyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mystery_Gyrl For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2008, 07:43 PM   #5
Jaxhil
Working the Gusset

I just recently got this book and am currently making the first (learning) pair of socks. It's a pair of toddler socks, using size four 40" circs-I am actually using my options size 4-47" because that's what I have. She recommends a worsted weight yarn, and while she suggests using the same colors as she is for the example pics, I am just using some wool-ease I have on hand, in two colors (blue and yellow).

It's going really well, and once you get past the initial rows, it seems *very* easy-of course, I am only up to working on the heel flaps, so that could change, lol!

I would think you could learn the technique online, without problem. However, I thought the book was a worthwhile purchase because I like a lot of the sock patterns she gives after the initial sample socks. It was a lot less $$ than the other book I was considering (Knitting Circles Around Socks), too. Plus this method only requires *one* needle! Less $$ for extra needles in the same size!

I just want to mention, I am fairly new to sock knitting, and I have been referring to Getting Started Knitting Socks by Ann Budd while I work on getting this magic loop 2-at-a-time sock thing going, and it is really helping to clarify the process for me.

I hope that helps some! I'm having a ball making these and I really think I'm going to love this method! And I actually like DPN's, but wanted to try this just to see if I could and of course if I liked it. Good luck!
Old 02-08-2008, 08:02 PM   #6
diny0
Casting On

The enlarged image of the cover on Amazon indicates 2 Socks At A Time teaches the technique of knitting 2 socks on one circular needle.

I recently bought the book Knitting Circles Around Socks. It teaches the technique of knitting 2 socks on two circular needles at one time. I had never done this before. I cast them on two nights ago and didn't have to redo it. I am so excited! I am just working on the legs so we will see how it goes but I can attest to the detail in this book if I was able to start the socks in one go, never having done it before.

Diane
diny0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 09:04 PM   #7
harleequinn88
Casting On

Two at a time socks on DPNs
Originally Posted by Jaxhil View Post
And I actually like DPN's, but wanted to try this just to see if I could and of course if I liked it. Good luck!
If you end up liking this method but still love your DPN's I would try doing a pair of socks two at a time on DPN's!!! Its a technique I found while looking up more patterns for two at a time socks (cause I also bought the book) and I found this I'm knitting my first pair now and it can get confusing but I LOVE my DPNs over the magic loop basically your knitting two socks one inside the other on DPNs using a double knit technique. here's the website...

http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEfall06/FEATextreme2in1.html

P.s. There is also a TOE-UP two at a time socks verison.
harleequinn88 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to harleequinn88 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2010, 08:48 PM   #8
RuthieinMaryland
Turning the Heel

Location: I live on the Eastern Shore of Maryland - GREAT steamed crab country! :o)
2 at a time socks...
Hi!

I have both Ann Budd's "Getting Started Knitting Socks" and Melissa Morgan-Oaks 2 at a time on one long circular needle book. I LOVE them both!!!

Once I learned the two at a time on one needle method I was completely hooked! Now whenever I have anything to knit that requires two of the same piece (gloves, mittens, leg warmers,sleeves, and of course socks) I go with Melissa. It's so great to have both pieces come out the same length without having to count rows!

It's an awesome skill to develop. I would recommend, though, that you get very familiar with sock techniques first so that the 2 at a time on one needle won't be confusing. It's a lot to take in when you're uncertain about the basic how to for socks and then try to do two at once!!!

I also tried the two at a time on 2 needles and found it awkward but that's, of course, a matter of preference. For me the one needle deal was terrific.

As far as the Extreme Knitting of two socks at a time, one inside the other, that is totally FUN, FUN, FUN! It nearly scrambled my brain until things clicked into place. I first learned the technique doing a pair of leg warmers but my next project will be the socks so I can learn the shaping for that method. Also, I used one long circular needle although it can be done on DPN's as well.

Mainly, have fun with it! When I first started learning to knit socks I wanted to try out every possible way there was to knit them and made it my crusade to learn each technique. My thinking was that was the only way I'd ever figure out which was the best for me. What actually happened is that along the way I picked up so many new and wonderful skills that I have this broad repertoire of techniques at my disposal and many of them apply to other projects besides socks! And I can choose whatever method of sock knitting appeals to me at the moment because I've learned several.

So anything you learn in your explorations will be to your advantage. Learn, knit, enjoy....and spread the joy!

Happy knitting (and learning)

Ruthie
Old 10-11-2010, 07:35 PM   #9
Ellieblue
Knitting the Flap

knitpicks has a free pattern for doing this .
Old 10-19-2010, 07:11 PM   #10
RuthieinMaryland
Turning the Heel

Location: I live on the Eastern Shore of Maryland - GREAT steamed crab country! :o)
Originally Posted by Ellieblue View Post
knitpicks has a free pattern for doing this .
Hi, Ellie,

Do you have a link for this pattern? I'd love to find it!

Thanks,
Ruthie