Old 10-22-2010, 06:58 AM   #1
joulesb
Ribbing the Cuff

HOw to get texture from a chart
im not sure what this is called but ive found come 2 coloured charts which i want to knit to get a texture.

i figured i wanted the dark squares on the chart to stick up on the right side so they would be purled? and the white squares could be knit. if iread the chart starting from the bottom left i would read odd numbered rows this way but when i was doing even numbered rows from left to righ on the chart the knits and purls are reversed?

does that make sense?

thanks
joulesb is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-22-2010, 08:22 AM   #2
hyperactive
Working the Gusset

it pretty much deoes, yes.

When you do knits and purls next to each other the are differently high. In ribbing for example the purls fall back, the knits stick out.
When not done in colums like that, in some patterns the purls stick out towards the top.

Either way: you get structure.

you can write your own instruction for the symbols (or color squares):

symbol 1: knit on right side, purl on wrong side
symbol 2: purl on right side, knit on wrong side

and yes: when you knit flat (like not in the round) then you read the chart from left to right for the wrong side rows. and right to left for the right side rows.
The whole thing is written bottom to top, so start on the bottom right corner and work your way up.

Have fun with the pattern!

Mind it: SOME color work charts look great as structure, others do not cut it, really. But that you will see with your specific one.

I have been away from the forum for a bit, but I am still around!
hyperactive is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hyperactive For This Useful Post:
joulesb (10-22-2010)
Old 10-22-2010, 08:57 AM   #3
joulesb
Ribbing the Cuff

cool thanks

i found a random maze generator here and am trying to figure out different ways of doing it. i plan on making samples of a few ways and see what i like. double knitting where both sides are knitted at the same time but with 2 colours is also on my list of things to try with this.

thanks for the help
joulesb is offline   Reply With Quote