Old 10-22-2010, 01:31 PM   #1
ziimariebii
Casting On

Socks, please help!
Hi,
I have only knitted scarves using the English knit stitch and I now want to move on to socks. I bought some circular needles and plan on making one sock with 2 circular needles. I have a few questions:

1. I purchased cotton yarn. will this be okay for socks?

2. Where can i learn how to make a sock, completely, online using 2 circular needles. I have only been able to find dpns.

3. does anyone know what stitches will make the top of the sock elastic like (ribbed). its hard to explain, but it helps keep the sock on and seems elastic (but the yarn isn't elastic, its the stitch that makes it like that).

Any information is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
ziimariebii is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-22-2010, 01:52 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,761 Times in 7,129 Posts
Welcome to Knitting Help!

All cotton is not usually recommended for socks. Most people (in my experience) agree that a wool blend with nylon is the strongest and will last the longest. Aside from it not having nylon the cotton will stretch out and not return to shape till washed. It's also harder to knit with since there is not give or stretch to it. If you want to try it it would help if we knew what weight the yarn is.

2x2 or 1x1 rib will be the stretchiest for the top.

Here's a few patterns.
http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/2circsocks_start.htm

Are you on Ravelry? If not you should join. It's free and some patterns are only available on there.
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/libr...rcular-needles
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/libr...or-2-circulars

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
Jan1ce (10-27-2010), ziimariebii (10-22-2010)
Old 10-22-2010, 02:03 PM   #3
kmaclean
Turning the Heel

Definitely check out the link Jan provided above to Silver's Sock Class ... I have yet to try it myself, but have gone through the tutorials and everything is explained very well with clear pictures (and there are lots of sock knitters on KH that are fans of Silver's as well!)

You may also want to check out the videos page here on KH ... there is a video on ribbing (which you'll want to check out for your sock cuff) as well as a video on working the heel of a sock.

If you run into trouble along the way, be sure to post questions ... there are lots of experienced sock knitters here on KH and everyone is really great at explaining different techniques and solving knitting issues!

Good Luck!
kmaclean is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kmaclean For This Useful Post:
ziimariebii (10-22-2010)
Old 10-22-2010, 02:08 PM   #4
ziimariebii
Casting On

Thanks!
Hi Jan,
Thank you for the response. I used Silvers sock class last night and was stuck on the knitting after the castoff. I felt like I was doing it wrong becuase it looked different and it was really tight. is she using the continental knit stitch, continental pearl or the english knit stitch? Which is easiest?

Hi Kmaclean,
Thank you for your feedback and letting me know "Ribbing" is the correct word. I cant seem to find the video for ribbing. can you send me the link?
ziimariebii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 02:34 PM   #5
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,761 Times in 7,129 Posts
Ribbing is right here:
http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/knitting-tips

I can't say which technique is easier because it's different for all people. It also doesn't show what technique she's using since she's not holding the yarn. It doesn't matter which technique anyone uses because they all get you the same thing.

I think you must mean Cast ON not off since you're just starting the sock. I think she is doing Judy's Magic Cast On. Look it up on YouTube. I personally prefer the Turkish Cast On for toe up socks. I find it easier and it looks the same. I knit English if it matters.

Socks are usually not considered a beginner project so you'll have to learn a bunch of new techniques in this project. Have patience.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
Jan1ce (10-31-2010)
Old 10-23-2010, 11:58 AM   #6
CivicSista
1st Leg of the Journey

These youtube videos helped me a lot when I started knitting socks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wSFaGpmVSw

I will tell you tho- socks are addictive!!
CivicSista is offline   Reply With Quote