Old 10-24-2010, 10:42 AM   #1
TangoLima
Casting On

Color blocks
I haven't looked at the videos on this site yet, but plan to. I just wanted to go ahead and ask the question:

I am a new knitter, getting pretty consistent with my knits and purls, and want to start learning some new stitches soon.

Right now, though, I'm working on a set of dishcloths in the double bump pattern that I will probably give as a gift. I am making one that is multi-colored, and than a couple that are coordinating solids. With the leftovers, I thought it would be neat to make one that has 4 blocks in each of the colors in a 2 x 2 block format.

My question is, is it possible to do blocks of color in any pattern? The double bump pattern can be worked in multiple of 3 + 1, and right now I'm using 37 stitches. If I do blocks, do I have to do each block in a multiple of 3 + 1, or do I just switch to the other color right in the middle? Should I make 4 separate blocks and then bind them together?

Like I said, I haven't watched the videos yet, so maybe that will answer some of my questions.

Any advice is appreciated!
TangoLima is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-24-2010, 02:08 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,803 Times in 7,162 Posts
If you do large color blocks and don't want to seam you'll need to learn intarsia. Video is in the advanced techniques section.

The problem you'll run into with different patterns/textures is that different stitches are different sizes. For instance garter stitches are rather square whereas stockinette are taller than they are wider. What will happen is you'll get a wonky looking project unless you adjust the stitch or row count.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote