Old 10-25-2010, 07:08 PM   #1
Futurekitty
Casting On

How to make pockets in the shawl
Hi, I'm new to this forum. I read one thread about making pockets in a shawl where the pattern called for making the pocket linings first, then where you want the pocket opening to be put the stitches in the body of the work onto a holder and work the stitches from the pocket lining in the row instead, then keep working in pattern.

I'm making my own pattern so don't have instructions. This makes sense to me. But I'm confused about what you do on the other end. When the first pocket lining is added and the pocket opening is created, the shawl is being worked from the bottom up, but when you get to the other side, it is now being worked from the top to the bottom from the perspective of the pocket liner being in the correct orientation.

How is the second pocket worked so the lining is correct?
Thanks.
Futurekitty is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-25-2010, 08:18 PM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
I haven't done it, but I'd assume that you'd work down to the second pocket, put the stitches that will attached to the liner on a holder and cast on new stitches for the outer pocket opening. You could use a provisional cast-on so the two edges of the pockets would match better. (or just pick up stitches on the cast-on edge) Finish the body and then knit the pocket liner using the stitches that are on the holder.

Make sense?

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 01:07 PM   #3
cacunn
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,103 Times in 826 Posts
Originally Posted by Ingrid View Post
I haven't done it, but I'd assume that you'd work down to the second pocket, put the stitches that will attached to the liner on a holder and cast on new stitches for the outer pocket opening. You could use a provisional cast-on so the two edges of the pockets would match better. (or just pick up stitches on the cast-on edge) Finish the body and then knit the pocket liner using the stitches that are on the holder.

Make sense?

Ingrid this technique is way above my experience level, so tell me where my logic isn't working. Could you knit down to the start of the pocket, then short row a "heel flap." Once "heel flap" was long enough start knitting back up the flap picking up the end stitches of the first half of the flap. At the top of the pocket flap, where you are at the level of the non-pocket stitches, restart knitting in pattern.

I could see this being a problem if you are using a variegated or patterned yarn.

cacunn is offline   Reply With Quote