Old 10-28-2010, 12:07 PM   #11
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,737 Posts
Prajakta, I think I figured it out finally. The picture helped. We were doing it almost right but there is one little key which I will add to the directions.

Put the RHN (right hand needle) into the first stitch purl wise, but don't do anything to that first stitch, just go through it. Go into the second stitch in the normal way and knit it to the point where you have pulled up a new stitch loop, but don't take anything off the LHN (left hand needle) yet. Now you have one stitch loop on the RHN (right hand needle) and a strand from going through the first stitch, you also have 2 loops still going over the LHN. Don't take the RHN out of the stitches.

(Here is the new part) Now you want to rotate the RHN so that you can knit the first stitch behind the LHN as I said before in the first response, but as you rotate the needle be sure you take the RHN tip under the strand that is the first stitch you went through. You actually need to move the RHN tip under the first stitch loop before you start rotating to get you in position to knit the first stitch through the back loop.

If you are having any problems with the "knit through the back loop" there is a video of that on this site. But to describe it again you rotate the RHN tip around so that you can knit the first stitch loop behind the LHN, you insert the RHN right to left into the part of the loop nearest to the tip of the LHN. It kind of feels like you are doing it as if to purl instead of knit. Then you yarn around and knit it like usual.

Try that out on a sample and see if that doesn't work and look like the picture. Mine did. Be sure on every other row of this pattern stitch that you k1 before beginning the pattern stitch and end with a k1.

*So do this first row of the pattern starting right off with the special pattern stitch. Purl a row. Next row, k1, pattern across to the last stitch, k1. Purl a row. Repeat from the * changing colors as you want.

I think you should be able to get it now. Let me know if you do.

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-28-2010, 12:52 PM   #12
Prajakta
Ribbing the Cuff

Thnx.. i think i got a fairly good idea ... I now know how to knit thru back loop

the only place i m confused now is .. rotate rhn... when i rotate rhn it comes out of 1st stitch.. although the stitch is now an "X" over the 2nd knit stitch
Prajakta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 01:44 PM   #13
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Quote:
when i rotate rhn it comes out of 1st stitch
By this do you mean the stitch loop on the RHN wants to fall off?

You don't have to rotate much, or at all to get into position to knit through the back loop (this rotating was more for the first way I thought you had to do it). But it is a bit tricky to keep the stitch loop from coming off the needle when you go under that first stitch loop so that you can knit through the back loop. When you pull the RHN through under the strand go slowly, you can put your right index finger on that stitch loop (this is easier to do if you knit Continental, but will work for English as well) as soon as you get it out from under the strand, then proceed with knit through the back loop.

The goal is to go through that first stitch, knit the second one, dip under the first stitch strand and knit the first stitch through the back loop.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:27 PM   #14
Prajakta
Ribbing the Cuff

Nope... the knit stitch on the rhn stays intact.. the only conern is.. when i insert the needle purl wise into first stitch... the frontloop is over the rhn.. nd when i rotate the rhn.. this front loop of the first stitch falls.. in other words.. my needle is no longer inside the 1st stitch ..
i dunno whether i m xplainin it correctly
Old 10-28-2010, 11:20 PM   #15
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

I left home around noon and just got back.

When you insert the RHN into the first stitch, you are sticking it through that first stitch loop purl wise and just passing through it. After the needle goes through that first stitch loop move it directly into the second stitch right where you would knit that stitch normally. Yarn around and knit that stitch to the point you have pulled up the new stitch loop and stop. If you move the RHN through the first loop and right into the second stitch the loop has no chance of falling off. After you knit the stitch it will not fall off either. Then dip the RHN tip under the front leg of the first stitch until the RHN is to the right of the two stitch loops on the LHN. Then move it slightly so that you can knit into the back of the first stitch loop.

Does that help any?
Old 10-29-2010, 10:19 AM   #16
Prajakta
Ribbing the Cuff

I guess Yes... Thanx a lot for all the help and patience
Old 10-29-2010, 01:08 PM   #17
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Prajakta, You don't sound very certain. Have you gotten it figured out or have you given up on getting any help from me? If you still don't have it, I have one last ditch effort. I could get my husband to take some still pictures of me doing it and see if that helps. I can't do a video as we don't have the equipment. If I took pictures it would be nice to know which style of knitting you do so I could show it that way, as in do you hold the yarn in your left or right hand?

You're welcome for any help I may have given, but I'm wanting to be of real help, not just attempted help.
Old 10-29-2010, 03:07 PM   #18
Prajakta
Ribbing the Cuff

Thats v sweet of u... I think i have got it now.... But if u can post some still pics... tht wud b awesome and will help me to b xtra certain of wat i m doin is correct..
Old 10-29-2010, 03:33 PM   #19
Prajakta
Ribbing the Cuff

i forgot 2 mention i use continental style.. yarn in left hand
Old 10-29-2010, 08:38 PM   #20
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Okay, if you understand this is probably not needed, but here are some pictures. It is pretty hard to show with stills, but we did the best we could. A video would have been better.

This first picture shows where I have moved the RHN through the first stitch loop and has my needle poised to go into the second stitch so I can knit it.

[IMG][/IMG]

This one is right after I have knit that second stitch and have the needle ready to go under the strand of the first stitch.

[IMG][/IMG]

This just after I have gone under the first stitch strand and come out to the right of it.

[IMG][/IMG]

This one is trying to show where I am going to knit through the back loop of the first stitch. (I tried turning the fabric so you could see the back, but I couldn't see that it was helpful that way, so chose this photo.)

[IMG][/IMG]

This one is showing when I have completed the stitch, and it shows what the work looks like after I have done a few rows.

[IMG][/IMG]

I don't know if those help much, but it is the best I can do.