Old 10-30-2010, 10:58 PM   #1
Cattrah
Ribbing the Cuff

What yarn should I get for my grandma?
My grandma is turning 70 on Saturday and I've been mulling for months trying to decide what to get for her. I wanted to knit something and then I wanted to sew something but everything I started with I just didn't like or didn't feel right. Anyway she has been crocheting for years and years and years and she has never known yarn outside of what you can buy from the local big box store, so pretty much red heart super saver. I just got the idea that instead of making something she may not need or really want that I should just get her some beautiful yarn for her stash to make something she really wants to and love making it with this amazing yarn. So the question is, what yarn should I get her? What yarn was your best experience knitting or crocheting with?
Cattrah is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 10-31-2010, 03:53 AM   #2
yarnrainbow
1st Leg of the Journey

What a thoughtful idea! I bet you're grandma's favorite, aren't you? I love baby alpaca. It's so soft, you can stroke it like a bunny or a kitty. KnitPicks has a beautiful baby alpaca sport weight yarn called Andean Treasure for a really reasonable price and it's even on sale right now, I think. It comes in some beautiful colors too. Good luck selecting!
Old 10-31-2010, 06:50 AM   #3
dddebbb3
Ribbing the Cuff

If I were you, I'd pick something that I liked, because if your grandma is anything like mine was, she's going to use the yarn to make something for you!

If she's used to acrylic, better get something washable - maybe superwash merino. Worsted weight or bulky works up quickly, and may be easier on arthritic hands than something fine, too.

Consider giving her a homemade "gift card" for one of the projects you started for her, and then spend an afternoon with her making it and getting her help with it. She'd probably love the time with you more than anything else.
dddebbb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 01:33 PM   #4
Woodi
Turning the Heel

I am a Grandma (but only 63) and I agree; spending time with you would be the greatest gift you could give her, and if you both like working with yarn, that could be a fun starting point. I like Merino yarn, so soft, yet thick enough that I don't have to use fine needles.

Good luck! and what a great Grand-child you are (even if you're not a child).
Woodi is offline   Reply With Quote