Old 11-03-2010, 07:05 PM   #1
larry11
Casting On

Left slanting decrease problem
Is there an alternative to the SSK or SKP left slanting decrease when you are knitting in the round? The problem I have is when I am knitting in the round (knitting a sock), there is always a gap between the stitch before the left slanting decrease and the left slanting decrease stitch itself, so when you put the sock on and stretch the stitches out, it looks like there's a ladder there. The only solution I've found is to sew the stitches together from the inside of the sock after it's done, so the gap is pulled together by the sewn stitches. Is there a different/alternative way to do the left slanting decrease when you are knitting in the round, so that the gap doesn't happen?
larry11 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-03-2010, 07:16 PM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,223 Times in 1,827 Posts
You can try knitting two together through the back loop; or slip 1 as if to knit, slip one as if to purl, and then knit them together through the back loop.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 07:22 PM   #3
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
You could try keeping the slip st on the very tip of the R needle and don't stretch it while passing over.

I've also found a way to ssk that looks a little more like k2tog - slip the 2 sts separately, leave on R needle and insert the L needle from R to L to ktog, like a reversed k2tog.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 02:54 PM   #4
kellyh57
Turning the Heel

I saw somewhere where Cat Bordhi has a different method. She calls it the "Hungry Stitch." She slips the stitch in the row before it's supposed to be in the SSK so it's tighter when you get it in the next round. I'm pretty sure it was on YouTube, but you can Google it to be sure.