Old 11-08-2010, 03:24 PM   #1
KelseyRae
Ribbing the Cuff

Help securing a tail-less bind off??
So my man bought me a pair of beautiful 100% cashmere knit fingerless gloves (knowing my hate of cold and my love of cashmere and everything knitting related) but after the first time wearing them the bind-off on one of the thumbs pulled out. Since he bought these on a business trip to New York we couldn't take them back but being a knitter I sat down to redo the bind off. I manged to pick-up all the dropped stitches and re-bind off everything but when I was tying off the end through the last stitch I guess I tugged to hard and the tail broke off. (I've never worked with 100% cashmere and I didn't realize how delicate it is) I didn't get to weave in the end very well but without a tail to work with I'm at a loss as to how to make sure they don't pull out again. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to secure the bind off on these??? I did tie off the last stitch pretty well but if it pulls through the whole things going to unravel again. Thanks!!
KelseyRae is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-08-2010, 03:42 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
I would sew it down on the inside with thread in a similar color. You can catch it through the loops of the top sts too, it shouldn't show.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 04:02 PM   #3
KelseyRae
Ribbing the Cuff

I was thinking of trying to sew it secure but when I say the tail ripped off I mean right off. There is a little nub of yarn sticking out and thats about it. There's not enough there to sew down. Would it work to try to sew through the stitch and hopefully manage to tack the 'tail' to it so it coudn't pull out? I'm worried it I play around with it too much it will pull out and theres no way I could bind it off agian with the amount of yarn left there.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:39 PM   #4
hyperactive
Working the Gusset

I would take sewing yarn - the thin stuff for the machine. And catch all the top stitches with it. Then tie that off. If you stay to the inside of the tumbhole, it will - hopefully - not show. If the color is similar, it will be even easier.
Just be careful not to pull a tight ring into the thumb... then it would not fit or not be comfortable.

I guess you could secure the last knot with a drop of super glue, too. But I have only read about this, not done it, so take this advice as a hopeful thought, not spoken from experience.

I have been away from the forum for a bit, but I am still around!
hyperactive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 04:56 PM   #5
KelseyRae
Ribbing the Cuff

Those are good ideas. I'll definitely run the thread through. Then I can wear them without worrying all the time. Its so frustrating having them but not being able to wear them. And if I wore them now I'd always be so freaked out they'd pull out again I wouldn't be able to enjoy them. Thanks for all the help!!