Old 11-09-2010, 02:55 PM   #11
OffJumpsJack
Working the Gusset

I remember that...
Originally Posted by cacunn View Post
Having had the same problem - have you seen Jeny's Surprisingly Stretchy Bind-Off?

Not sure if I found it before finishing my sock or after. Obviously I didn't use it when I finished my socks.

Now I can bookmark it and have it handy the next time. Thank you!

as Off-Jumps-Jack

OTN another Black & gold Diagonal Square Potholder
OTH Baby blanket
OTH Lace doily - A vintage pattern recreating from an heirloom.
OffJumpsJack is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-09-2010, 06:32 PM   #12
dddebbb3
Ribbing the Cuff

I'm a toe-up fan, because I'm ALWAYS scrimping on my yarn (often using leftovers from a sweater to make matching socks), and it's a lot easier to improvise on the leg than the foot. I like the short-row heel and use DPNs, too - tried Magic Loop but it just didn't work for me. I cast off using a much larger needle, maybe 5 or 6 sizes, to give me stretch. It looks ruffled, but the ruffle goes away when wearing.
Be careful - socks can be addictive! Portable, quick, always useful, and they don't take much yarn so you can splurge or use up stash. Just make sure the foot yarn has some nylon for durability.
dddebbb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 02:14 AM   #13
RuthieinMaryland
Turning the Heel

Location: I live on the Eastern Shore of Maryland - GREAT steamed crab country! :o)
Socks and more socks...
Hi!

I am an avid sock knitter and decided early on that I wanted to try out as many different methods as I could find to determine which was my ideal. It turns out that what I learned from each style has proven to be invaluable in my overall bag of knitting tricks!

But I did find that doing two socks at a time on one long circular, per Melissa Morgan-Oakes' book, is actually my favorite. And I use the method whenever I'm doing two pieces that are the same, such as gloves, mittens, leg warmers, sweater sleeves, etc. It's wonderful not to have to count rows to make sure both items are the same length! It seemed that no matter what I did or how carefully I counted I always had one sock shorter than the other!!! But not with this method.

For fun, there is also a great method of knitting two at a time, either on circs or dpns, but working one INSIDE the other. Here's a link to the article from Knitty, and there are some video demonstrations on you tube if you get caught up. It's totally wild!!!
http://knitty.com/ISSUEfall06/FEATextreme2in1.html

Whichever method you choose, have fun and enjoy. Socks, to me, are one of those wonderful pieces of civilization that really bring us comfort!

Happy knitting,

Ruthie
Old 11-13-2010, 12:06 PM   #14
Mamaoso
Casting On

I like the 2 circ needles. I have tried magic loop but keep going back to the 2 needles.
The toe-up are my favorite, then I can always make them longer.
The size of the needle I go down one size so the will fit..
Mamaoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 12:57 AM   #15
Arielluria
Instepping Out

I find cuff down is MUCH easier when it comes to both c.o. AND heels. I've completed my first successful toe-ups this year (after about 25 cuff down pairs completed - and SEVERAL toe-up attempts frogged). Though I love the toe-up socks (see here), and highly recommend the author......I still enjoy the process of knitting cuff down more.
A righteous man has regard for the life of his animal (Proverbs 12:10)
Adopt a pet PETFINDER.COM

Free patternns on My blog or on Ravelry:
Arielluria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 12:58 AM   #16
Arielluria
Instepping Out

I'm a HUGE fan of that bind-off, have used it on SEVERAL projects. Great for dog sweaters (ribbing around legs not too tight).
A righteous man has regard for the life of his animal (Proverbs 12:10)
Adopt a pet PETFINDER.COM

Free patternns on My blog or on Ravelry:
Arielluria is offline   Reply With Quote