Old 11-10-2010, 11:15 AM   #1
savtaruth
Casting On

looking for baby sweater in baby sport yarn (5sts to 1") gauge
I have to make two sweaters for 6 month old twin girls. I am an experienced knitter, I want to use baby sport yarn (5sts. to 1") . Prefer to add stripe or other pattern in two different colors(one for each sweater). Thanks. savtaruth
savtaruth is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-10-2010, 04:55 PM   #2
kmaclean
Turning the Heel

When you say you are an experienced knitter, are you looking for a complex pattern or are you just letting us know your skill level to keep in mind when recommending patterns?

If you're not looking for an overly complex pattern, THIS is one of my favorites when it comes to baby sweaters. It's a great basic pattern, so you can easily add your own touches (eg. different colored stripes, or perhaps a cable pattern down the front). The pattern is written for a newborn size, but easily increased ... I recently made one that was about a 6 month size by simply following the pattern as written and moving up to a size US 6 needle instead of the US 4 called for in the pattern.

Hope it helps! Good luck with your project, whatever you end up choosing!
kmaclean is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kmaclean For This Useful Post:
savtaruth (11-15-2010)
Old 11-12-2010, 05:05 PM   #3
swatterson
Ribbing the Cuff

you might enjoy this series I wrote about vintage look sweaters with a modern gauge, 5st =1 inch. There are many more too, in the Get Ready for Baby series. Hope this helps.
Interested in all things knitting and crochet. Blogs as knitnscribble. Writes online about knitting and crochet as Providence Knitting Examiner and on InfoBarrel. Also blogs on Wordpress. Follow her on Twitter.
swatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 12:38 PM   #4
Lighting57
Turning the Heel

Swatterson's link shows a pattern that I downloaded a long time ago. I found it and several others for infants and up on a site of free vintage patterns.

I believe most, if not all of them had a gauge of 5 sts per inch.

If you do a search for free vintage baby patterns you should come up with one or two that you can use.
Lighting57 is offline   Reply With Quote