Old 11-15-2010, 07:59 AM   #11
hyperactive
Working the Gusset

if you really do the mirror image of (standart) knitting then the stitches will move from the right needle onto the left needle (seen from your perspective).
That is called left handed knitting or knitting for lefthanded people.

I do think, that knitting is so ambidextrous that it does not matter if you are left or right handed, but it does exist, this left handed knitting.

So ask yourself: how do the stitches move? Left needle to right (then standart) or right to left (then left handed).
There are a few modifications you have to make to patterns, if you do knit left handed. But you can do it.

However: what hand you hold your yarn in can vary with right and left handed knitting depending on your knitting style (English or Continental).

In standart knitting (stitches moving from left to right needle) and Continental, I hold my yarn in my left hand. English knitters, though, hold it in their right hand.

In left handed knitting, the yarn is held the opposite wy for each style.

I have been away from the forum for a bit, but I am still around!
hyperactive is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-23-2010, 11:08 AM   #12
Midoria
Casting On

Hi! I have a question. I'm a new knitter about 2 months, and I knit continental. I know a few people who swear by English? Do different styles change the way the stitches look?

Thanks!
Midoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 11:24 AM   #13
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
No, the sts look the same no matter which hand you hold the yarn in. If sts look twisted when doing continental, it may be that the yarn is wrapped backwards on the purl stitch. To untwist them, knit into the leg closest to the needle tip.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
Midoria (11-23-2010)
Old 11-23-2010, 12:28 PM   #14
Wnderlnd
Ribbing the Cuff

I am a fairly new knitter (one year) and learned both too, but I primarily use English because my stitches are more even. I do practice both though.
Wnderlnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 07:23 PM   #15
psychoswim
Casting On

I tried to learn Continental last year, but never could get the purls. This time I learned English and within about 15 minutes I was very fluid with both knits and purls so personnally it suits me better. I can still do knits the Continental way, but it's just easier for me the other way.
psychoswim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 10:29 AM   #16
joulesb
Ribbing the Cuff

dont remind me, i learned to knit this year from this website and as i could crochet first i went to continental - i cant hold my yarn right handed it just feels wrong. it took me ages and several different ways but i can purl and no twisted stitches

reckon at some point i will do a blog entry on all the differnt ways i found to purl just so i can rememebr how long a road it was
joulesb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 12:19 PM   #17
hyperactive
Working the Gusset

nice to see that everyone really has a preference for one or the other.

I have learned some English, just a little. Well, you know, I just had to with all the discussion and all the talk about it.
But knitting Continental for over 30 years (since my early childhood), I am a lost cause at English and do not see the reason for switching, of course. That is my personal thing.

Purling? Well, there are soooo many methods in Continental, but really: any works as long as you know it. And once you do... all the same.

I take a fraction of a second longer for a purl than a knit, but really, I do not think it is noticeable much in my knitting speed. So for me this is all the same.
I do notice, though, that all the different methods feel clumsy at first when I try them. Maybe that is my own preference, or maybe beginning knitters feel like that with every method of purls.

My husband does not knit. But he watches the knitting. And to him I did explain the knit stitch and the purl stitch by tying knots into thick string. Just one loop in one other. And yes: you can turn it either way and it looks different on both sides, but the same from the front (if you know what I mean). He still does not knit, but just understands the concept of the knit and the purl and their reversability. And if he had to figure it out, he might end up making stitches the English way? That makes more sense to some people because you see the wrapping happening? While the "looping through" of the Continental is not grafic enough?

I have been away from the forum for a bit, but I am still around!
hyperactive is offline   Reply With Quote