Old 11-11-2010, 10:28 AM   #1
pull
Casting On

Is this Fair Isle Scarf Reproducible?
Hi, I'm new to the forum and for all intents and purposes, I'm a new knitter. I took a class over 20 years ago, never finished anything, and had to learn how to cast on all over again (this time I learned the Continental/German method, although I intend to relearn the English method as well because I'm interested in color stranding).

One question I have, and I hope it's all right to post a commercial link in this forum, is whether the Fair Isle scarf below is reproducible by hand knitting. It appears to be essentially a sample of Fair Isle patterns. I assume that two panels were knitted and sewn together (I imagine that the stranded side is not exposed; it would look ugly and make the scarf vulnerable.)

Alternatively, is it one large piece of knitting that somehow has been folded over and stitched? I know nothing of knitting construction.

I'm really interested in Fair Isle and if it's possible to do this, it would be something to work up to. Needless to say, I wouldn't essay as many patterns or colors during my first efforts.

Thanks.

http://www.drakes-london.com/catalog...f/category/84/

Last edited by pull : 11-11-2010 at 10:30 AM. Reason: typo
pull is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 11-11-2010, 10:46 AM   #2
cacunn
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,103 Times in 826 Posts
see #3

Last edited by cacunn : 11-11-2010 at 11:45 AM.
cacunn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cacunn For This Useful Post:
pull (11-11-2010)
Old 11-11-2010, 10:53 AM   #3
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
No copyright involved if you reverse engineer it and make your own pattern.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
pull (11-11-2010)
Old 11-11-2010, 11:00 AM   #4
pull
Casting On

Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
No copyright involved if you reverse engineer it and make your own pattern.
Exactly, I was talking about using it as inspiration only. I'm not interested in the specific designs or colorways. I'm not an IP lawyer, but I can't imagine that a home knitter making a scarf for personal use in a different medium would run afoul of the copyright laws even if I tried to copy it stitch-for-stitch, which is not my intention.

I'd obviously have to make the pattern.

I haven't looked, but I was intrigued by this scarf because I'd never seen one done in Fair Isle patterns and I love the variety.
Old 11-11-2010, 02:10 PM   #5
hyperactive
Working the Gusset

2 things:

1st to technique:

if you want to do stranded knitting, you do not necessarily need to knit English (as well). Check out my blog and the videos I made and linked there. Maybe that is along your lines:

stranding

I did also include links for English-only woven backside and for the philosopher's wool video using both techniques.

2nd to the scarf:

You can make 2 scarfs and sew them together. That is possible.

You can also check into "double knitting" (a technique producing 2 "right sides" of the fabric and makes it double thick). Then the colors would be reversed on one side to what they are like on the other side.

another option to hide the back side with the floats / woven strands would be, to make a closed cast-on edge, but then continue to work in the round and cast off with a closed edge (in the same orientation) again.
That will make a tubular scarf with 2 "flat" ends (that can be just the cast on, or maybe a cuff / ribbing of some sort). By technique that may be a little easier than double knitting (if you are not used to that) and also makes a double thick scarf. It would, though, be a little more flexible than an acutal double knit multi-color scarf. It also would look the same on both sides - which can be an issue with motives, that depend on the color (like a red rose on green and a green rose on red background? Not so much...)

For patterns and "sampler" pieces... just check out other knitting in fair isle motives and chose what you like. There is no copy right issues for your personal use that you need to respect.

You also find a lot of free charts of such motives - and of course, you can invent them yourself and sample on happily.

I have been away from the forum for a bit, but I am still around!
hyperactive is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hyperactive For This Useful Post:
pull (11-11-2010)
Old 11-11-2010, 10:07 PM   #6
pull
Casting On

Originally Posted by hyperactive View Post
2 things:

1st to technique:

if you want to do stranded knitting, you do not necessarily need to knit English (as well). Check out my blog and the videos I made and linked there. Maybe that is along your lines:

stranding

I did also include links for English-only woven backside and for the philosopher's wool video using both techniques.

2nd to the scarf:

You can make 2 scarfs and sew them together. That is possible.

You can also check into "double knitting" (a technique producing 2 "right sides" of the fabric and makes it double thick). Then the colors would be reversed on one side to what they are like on the other side.

another option to hide the back side with the floats / woven strands would be, to make a closed cast-on edge, but then continue to work in the round and cast off with a closed edge (in the same orientation) again.
That will make a tubular scarf with 2 "flat" ends (that can be just the cast on, or maybe a cuff / ribbing of some sort). By technique that may be a little easier than double knitting (if you are not used to that) and also makes a double thick scarf. It would, though, be a little more flexible than an acutal double knit multi-color scarf. It also would look the same on both sides - which can be an issue with motives, that depend on the color (like a red rose on green and a green rose on red background? Not so much...)

For patterns and "sampler" pieces... just check out other knitting in fair isle motives and chose what you like. There is no copy right issues for your personal use that you need to respect.

You also find a lot of free charts of such motives - and of course, you can invent them yourself and sample on happily.

Thank you very much for your suggestions and links. :-)
Old 11-13-2010, 02:23 PM   #7
hyperactive
Working the Gusset

I am glad I could help! Have fun knitting!

I have been away from the forum for a bit, but I am still around!
hyperactive is offline   Reply With Quote